Nonegfiat

College topic selection

What are people feeling about this, now that we’re coming up on the voting deadline?

I’m strongly against the impeachment topic, but I have a feeling in my gut that it’s going to win. I prefer the executive authority topic, which not only has actual aff ground, but accesses a lot of the same discussion of curtailing trump.

Edited by Nonegfiat

What are people feeling about this, now that we’re coming up on the voting deadline?

I’m strongly against the impeachment topic, but I have a feeling in my gut that it’s going to win. I prefer the executive authority topic, which not only has actual aff ground, but accesses a lot of the same discussion of curtailing trump.

I've seen old affs from the last executive authority topic, and they were pretty damn fire. I definitely wouldn't mind watching a few executive authority rounds. Impeachment would be garbage though, I agree.

Impeachment would be garbage though, I agree.

A lot of people in the community are super into this topic. I just don’t get it

I just don't think it would be a particularly entertaining topic. I would rather not have to research something so boring.

Aff ground is the issue for me. All of these affs are just different processes of doing the same thing, and most of them aren’t even good justifications for impeachment. And then what happens when the mueller report gets released?

Resignation counterplans are also an issue, and I also have questions about the lit base surrounding this topic. How much serious legal scholarship has been written about impeachment in the last year and a half? Because that’s essentially what they’re trapping themselves in by making this all about trump

Edit-

Also, navy and West Point won’t be able to host their tournaments if this topic gets chosen. At least navy won’t be able to debate, West Point I’m not sure since they’re K. But the point is, this would screw a lot of people over. And I debate on the east coast so losing both of those tournaments would be a problem

Edited by Nonegfiat
  • Upvote 1

Also, navy and West Point won’t be able to host their tournaments if this topic gets chosen. At least navy won’t be able to debate, West Point I’m not sure since they’re K. But the point is, this would screw a lot of people over. And I debate on the east coast so losing both of those tournaments would be a problem

You're right, I completely forgot about this. This is pretty massive. I don't think West Point would be allowed either, tbh, even if they are K. This especially makes me think that that topic would be god awful for debate.

Why would West Point and the Navy not be able to debate the topic?

Because students at navy and West Point are training to be commissioned officers in the military, they’re legally prohibited from “speaking comtemptuously” of the Commander in Chief. In other words, for them to spend an entire year researching and advocating that their leader be removed would be a form of disloyalty. At best, it’s not something their school would be okay with. At worst, they could get kicked out

• Upvote 1

I think losing two programs and two tournaments for a year should be a non-starter for a topic paper. It’s bad for the community and it’s supremely unfair to them. I cannot imagine how angry I would be if I lost a year of debate just because a bunch of people thought this topic would be good. Not to mention the fact that when you come back the following year, you’ll be rusty as hell and everyone else has a whole year on you. You can’t really compensate for that kind of disparity. Navy I know has a huge novice program too, so for them that’s a whole quarter of their career down the drain, in addition to spending the rest of their years at a disadvantage, even compared to others who started as novices. Being a novice in college is hard enough. It’s kinda fucked up if you think about it. I wish more people in the topic discussion group seemed concerned about this.

Edited by Nonegfiat