nuuttisaward

how to start prepping my novice partner

I'm a sophomore, this will be my second year, however, my previous partner dropped, and I found a partner, who will be a junior next year. with that being said, I'd really like them to have a pretty decent head start next season, so I'd like to start prepping them over the summer. where do I start?? my biggest concern is spreading it too thick and too quickly, overwhelming them.

• Upvote 1

Get them to start speaking drills. Get them to start reading immigration articles, and send them articles to read. If they're going to camp they'll already have a big headstart. If you have anyone else on your team or anyone you know in other schools who can have practice debates, have practice debates to get them familiar with what a debate looks like. 

• Upvote 1

Figure out what speaker positions you want them in and build them a routine for giving those speeches so they can get experience from a comfortable position.

• Upvote 2

Teaching them the form and structure of arguments and speeches is valuable. So how to write blocks, extend arguments, give specific speeches, etc.

• Upvote 2

You'll want to make sure they go to camp somewhere - likely a 2-3 week introductory camp or an online camp - to make sure they have someone guiding them through the basics. Debate is really overwhelming, and without a good introductory program it's easy for newcomers to feel overwhelmed and quit out of frustration. Understanding the fundamentals of debate should take priority over topic knowledge. 

• Upvote 1