AnthonyUwU

Can I Kick T in my 1NR or is that abuse

Why extend it in the 2NC if you're going to kick it before that 2NC is answered before the 1AR. If you know you want to kick it, just don't extend it.

Edited by TheSnowball
  • Upvote 1

Kicking T is pretty much never abusive. You can kick it in the 2NR with no problem.

Where you start to get into trouble is when it comes to kicking advocacies such as counterplans and K alts. That opens up conditionality debates and stuff like that. But T shells don’t have a status.

Sometimes people will run an RVI on T, but that’s not a very common move in policy debate. It’s just considered kinda silly. And it doesn’t necessarily have a connection with whether you kick the T shell—people will argue that even having read the shell is abusive.

So yeah, don’t worry about kicking T in the block.

• Upvote 1

2 things:

1- topicality doesn't need to be kicked, just don't extend it. Like said above, it only matters if it's a k aff and they're critiquing t (and you for reading it) in which you can concede their counter interpretation to not link to their offense and make defensive answers to their arguments. RVIs against normal T arguments are bad arguments and you should say as much as well as flagging that T tests the affs intrinsicness to the topic and isnt a reason the neg should lose.

2- The point where we're at in policy debate, the 2nc and 1nr are functionally considered the same speech of "the block." So you and your partner should address different arguments in those speeches.

• Upvote 4

Eyyy thx but like I like doing it after I know imma lose T soooo I just answer to, then in 1NR I drop it to waste time.

Eyyy thx but like I like doing it after I know imma lose T soooo I just answer to, then in 1NR I drop it to waste time.

You don’t need to do that unless an RVI shell is ran because T is only offensive against the aff. You don’t have to LBL anything unless you’re c/a to a theory shell of something. All you have to do is just concede the C/I or the W/M in the first speech on T and you save yourself so much time so you can develop more arguments and get more time for substance on something you’re going for instead of a throw away arg

EDIT: spelling

Edited by TheTrashDebater

That wastes your own time if you want you could probably drop it durring the 2nr but by then your probably already winning on T

On 5/24/2018 at 10:04 AM, AnthonyUwU said:

First, Rantaro is bae, but the real question is if robots have... nvm

Anyway, for T, you never have to explicitly concede it. The only reason you have to concede an argument is if you think they could generate offense on that flow, like if they turned an impact or link. On T, people generally won't turn standards, and judges are probably not going to vote on T is a rvi. 

Also, though I'm rehashing a lot of people, the 2nc and 1nr essentially function as a single speech since there is no aff speech between them. Judges probably won't flow CX, so you have no worries for the 1nr if the 2nc did extend T. Also, for the block (2nc and 1nr), I recommend dividing it as

1. K and case for 2nc; T for 1nr

or

2.  DA, CP, and case for 2nc; another DA or case (if not in the 2nc) for 1nr

There are better strats, but this is a generic one that works against most affs

Thanks, I asked this when I was a dumb novice now I am a Dumb Varsity and this info is still valuable :D also 

1 hour ago, Sparks29032 said:

the real question is if robots have... nvm

they do yes they do also best boi is between Rantaro and Kokichi