Bayernuard

TheSnowball [A] v. Bayernuard [N] // Nonegfiat

alright so my views on debate have evolved somewhat since posting my paradigm on the signup thread, plus i dont really remember what i said anyway. for everyone's convenience, here are the things to know about me as a judge:

-i lean decisively policy on issues of k affs, framework, and kritiks

-i am more sympathetic to theoretical objections to counterplans than most other judges, especially on conditionality

-i probably lean toward reasonability in topicality debates

-for vdebates, im gonna get frustrated if your cross x is obscenely long. You do not get to ask 15 questions and follow up on 7 of them, when the answer to each was like a paragraph long. that is not representative of how cross x actually works in debates and i dont want to read through all of that anyway. so like, try to be mindful of what you're doing in cross x and keep it to a reasonable length

Edit- typo

Edited by Nonegfiat

CX

1. Who has specific jurisdiction over how the funds are spent? DeVos? Rosello/Keleher?

2. What factors are (psychologically, socially, etc.) responsible for the mindset of disposability?

3. How does a blanket increase in funding mitigate the racist ways in which those funds are spent?

4. Is there a reason to vote Affirmative besides the plan being a good idea?

5. What line from what evidence says you reverse privatization?

6. Ballpark for plan cost?

Edited by TheSnowball

I'll try to get an answer to cross-x up tonight, but just a heads up that I have finals week this week until Wednesday, so I hope it's okay if I'm not quite meeting the time limits.

I'll try to get an answer to cross-x up tonight, but just a heads up that I have finals week this week until Wednesday, so I hope it's okay if I'm not quite meeting the time limits.

I’m fine to allow it if Ryan’s cool with that

CX

1. Who has specific jurisdiction over how the funds are spent? DeVos? Rosello/Keleher?

We think that the Puerto Rican DoE is given the funds, but that we get to fiat that it is spent for school infrastructure and curriculum development.

2. What factors are (psychologically, socially, etc.) responsible for the mindset of disposability?

In the context of the aff, the mindset that natural disasters which disproportionately affect certain populations should be used to gain more money from those populations. More broadly, I think that the simple mindset of some people being more valuable than others contributes.

3. How does a blanket increase in funding mitigate the racist ways in which those funds are spent?

I think that the plan recognizes that the way we are reacting to Maria right now is bad, and sets in motion the kinds of resistance that are necessary to resist - it's also probably a good idea to help out Puerto Rico.

4. Is there a reason to vote Affirmative besides the plan being a good idea?

I think that acknowledging (un)natural disasters within this debate round is also probably pedagogically good.

5. What line from what evidence says you reverse privatization?

On mobile, so I don't have a line, per say, but there's a couple cards.

1. Sparks and Superville cites massive debt (circa 100 billion) as a reason why there are funding crises in Puerto Rico right now, and the plan resolves that.

2. Nix-Stevenson cites that the plan promotes a form of critical environmental education (i.e. acknowledging that our reaction to Maria is bad) that spurs, specifically, resistance against the voucher systems that lead to the complete privatization of the New Orleans school district.

6. Ballpark for plan cost?

Somewhere around 120 billion.

Like I said, I'll try my best to update in a timely manner, but it's finals week and a lot of my grades are teetering on the edge of no longer being good. Sorry!

Here's the 1NC. It's 5 and then I put the more substance stuff on "advantage" and the framing stuff under "framing" since "solvency" had a little of both.

1NC.docx

Is it cool if the 2AC goes up on Wednesday? If not, I can try for tomorrow.

Fine by me. I'm also good for CX whenever.

I know this is kinda inconsiderate, but I'm on the edge of burning out and I've got NSDA coming up in not too long, and I need to take a break so I don't collapse from exhaustion. So, in the interest of not making people wait forever for my speeches, I'm going to be dropping out of the ODT.

I'm really sorry for doing this so abruptly, and I hope you can forgive me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I know this is kinda inconsiderate, but I'm on the edge of burning out and I've got NSDA coming up in not too long, and I need to take a break so I don't collapse from exhaustion. So, in the interest of not making people wait forever for my speeches, I'm going to be dropping out of the ODT.

I'm really sorry for doing this so abruptly, and I hope you can forgive me.

Aww, I had so many tabs saved about why Puerto Rico is technically not part of the United States!

No worries at all though. I definitely know the feeling of burnout. See you at NSDA.

1. If I am in a building, do I exist throughout that entire building?
2. Why is extra-T bad? To clarify, is there actual abuse?

3. How does dem climate legislation solve all of warming?

4. How is Tonnesson contextual to the DA?

5. Do we win the debate if we win that the plan is, to some extent, a good idea?
6. What does evaluatign consequences mean?

1. If I am in a building, do I exist throughout that entire building?

When I refer to the people in a building, does that include everyone throughout the building?

2. Why is extra-T bad? To clarify, is there actual abuse?

Extra-T is my way of distinguishing the curriculum funding from infrastructure funding and frames the topical version of the Affirmative. It's also bad in terms of truth-testing the resolution because any topical plan could have a very desirable policy attached to it.

3. How does dem climate legislation solve all of warming?

I don't think warming is either "solved" or "not solved." We think making progress on warming and reversing dangerous moves by Trump is an ethical necessity.

4. How is Tonnesson contextual to the DA?

The internal link says investor confidence is key to overall economic confidence and stability. Tonnesson says leaders (Trump, Xi Jinping) would "appeal to anti-foreign sentiments, contemplate the use of force to gain respect or credibility, adopt protectionist policies, and ultimately refuse to be deterred by either nuclear arms" in response.

5. Do we win the debate if we win that the plan is, to some extent, a good idea?

You win the debate if the plan is topical and its benefits outweigh its consequences.

6. What does evaluatign consequences mean?

In the context of the round, it means we can't base policies on ecological philosophy and structural violence claims if the consequences of those actions are more disastrous.

1. Can you answer the question? When we refer to something in a building, is that thing within the building, or throughout it?

2. Can you quantify anything that the infrastructure plank has deterred you from running?

3. What are consequences slash how can we determine them?

Edited by Bayernuard

1. Can you answer the question? When we refer to something in a building, is that thing within the building, or throughout it?

Meaning is produced by context. You are within the building, yes. The phrase "in the United States" in the resolution means "throughout the United States."

2. Can you quantify anything that the infrastructure plank has deterred you from running?

1. I think limits are more important than ground here. 2. It's not about quantity of ground but quality. States/federalism assumes the state role of designing curriculum. Politics/midterms assume people frustrated with Common Core style programs. Circumvention arguments about state governments failing to meet federal standards or teachers ditching the material. Curriculum is clearly the focus of the topic.

3. What are consequences slash how can we determine them?

Maximize the quantity and quality of life.

Edited by TheSnowball

One last question: Status of the counterplan?

2AC will be up shortly, or tomorrow morning, depending on when I fall asleep.

Edited by Bayernuard

One last question: Status of the counterplan?

Unconditional.

2AC will be up shortly, or tomorrow morning, depending on when I fall asleep.

Whenever works. I have a graduation party tomorrow so I can't guarantee a 2NC.

CX-

1. On what basis do you fiat the government of Puerto Rico?

2. T--"in"

a. What is the minimum number of schools an Affirmative can influence under your interpretation?

b. Army CPOL--why is a recruitment questionnaire a good definition basis for the topic? This survey even says "Did you apply for this position while physically in the United States or a U.S territory/Possession?"

3. CP--why are any of these arguments about making Puerto Rico a state relevant to my CP about making Puerto Rico an independent nation?

4. Economy DA

a. What's the relationship between federal debt and investor confidence?

b. Can you explain Carmignani in the context of the Affirmative?

CX-

1. On what basis do you fiat the government of Puerto Rico?

Puerto Rico is a part of the United States, so we probably get to fiat its government. Also, we think that we get to fiat that money is given to Puerto Rico to be spent on curriculum and infrastructure.

2. T--"in"

a. What is the minimum number of schools an Affirmative can influence under your interpretation?

I don't think it's a question of a minimum number of schools that be be influenced - we'd say that we can read affs about any number of schools as long as there's a reasonable literature base. 

b. Army CPOL--why is a recruitment questionnaire a good definition basis for the topic? This survey even says "Did you apply for this position while physically in the United States or a U.S territory/Possession?"

A recruitment questionnaire would probably be a good basis for the topic because it's in the context of all the United States. Your definition also probably has a sketchy intent to define.

3. CP--why are any of these arguments about making Puerto Rico a state relevant to my CP about making Puerto Rico an independent nation?

Well, making Puerto Rico an independent nation definitely can't solve for any sort of economic problems in Puerto Rico.

4. Economy DA

a. What's the relationship between federal debt and investor confidence?

More debt probably makes investors less confident.

b. Can you explain Carmignani in the context of the Affirmative?

Making schools in Puerto Rico actually be good makes students more capable of contributing to industries, which reinvigorates the economy.