Achaemenid

Education vDebate Achaemenid [A] Vs. vmanAA738 [N]

Let's go with 2750/1625 for word limits. 1ac is just a smidge over at 2790, feel free to reciprocate. Open for CX whenever you're ready.

CX: 

How is this aff inherent?

what is a restorative justice program? examples?

how are school suspensions the school to prison pipeline?

what does the aff do about SROs?

how does the aff resolve attitudes that resemble eugenics logic?

do you have a solvency advocate for the plan text?

how does your plan ban ztps?

why would the trump administration do this aff?

please name 4 offs that I could read in the 1NC that would not violate/trigger anything in the framing contention.

what are the 3 DA preempts meant to take out?

what parts of the plan text have you read solvency evidence for in the 1nc?

• Upvote 1

CX: 

How is this aff inherent?

Currently the USFG is working to increase security like SROs or ZTPs in schools as indicated in the Winn 18 card. More importanly is what's in the Keierleber 15 card, that most states don't have laws to make sure SROs have proper training to interact with students from many backgrounds, nor do states have the ability to fund this/have a strong incentive to. State or district regulations often prevent individual schools from acting as well.

what is a restorative justice program? examples?

A restorative justice program focuses on helping students who have caused trouble understand the impact on fellow students and staff etc, as well as encouraging a dialogue, which is very effective and improving behavior, as opposed to funnaling youth into the STPP. Plenty of schools, including my own, have implimented restorative justice, and if you want I can cite specific examples.

how are school suspensions the school to prison pipeline?

Suspensions are damaging to a student's ability to succeed in our current school system, and also are a direct conduit into the legal system. SROs often will refer a student into the youth justice system for whatever issues they were suspended for, if the student doesn't have to interact with the justice system for the suspension itself. These issues are very much correlated.

what does the aff do about SROs?

The aff gives SROs implicit bias training, so that they can better interact with youth from diverse backgrounds, particularly minorities or the disbaled.

how does the aff resolve attitudes that resemble eugenics logic?

Eugenics logic isn't a 1-step issue, and we don't claim 100% solvency. We claim to help solve for a concrete case of ableist violence. We also will argue that our Brown and Mediratta 15 card indicates that keeping disabled students in schools helps destigmatize them, which does help counter societal eugenics attitudes.

do you have a solvency advocate for the plan text?

Several. Heitzag 14 is a great advocate for why removing ZTPs is bad. Pernell 15 explains that DOE is great for handling disperate impacts like ZTP, and Hernandez 16 is a great advocate for restorative justice.

how does your plan ban ztps?

Normal means--Congress and Executive branch action, enforced by courts.

why would the trump administration do this aff?

Our plan combats a direct cause of structural violence, and if the Trump administartion cares about reducing structural violence our plan is a great to do that.

please name 4 offs that I could read in the 1NC that would not violate/trigger anything in the framing contention.

Sure: Deschooling, Midterms, Devos DA, and Hate Crimes DA all come to mind. You have plenty and varied ground as long as you articulate it well.

what are the 3 DA preempts meant to take out?

Mostly Fism, also Spending. Really anything trying to say we UQly increase funding or reg.

what parts of the plan text have you read solvency evidence for in the 1nc?

Our solvency advocates have warrants covering all parts of the plan text.

last question- i want you to only defend congressional action

I apologize if I misunderstand, but you're requesting I only fiat congress? I'm willing to make concesions for neg ground, but I have a solvency advocate for DOE so it isn't really fair to ask me to kick the executive branch. Without courts you can also make a disperate impact precedent argument, so If I'm going to not defend that I need you to agree not to run an argument that's impossible to answer without courts, for reciprocity's sake.

I can judge as well, if you all don’t mind a fourth judge.

Wow, we're getting quite the panel going. The more the merrier, we're happy to have you!

CX:
1) What are 5 affs topical under you education interp that the States CP can't solve?
2) How can regulation affs beat circumvention arguments under your regulation interp?
3) On the procedural, we included the original text in struckthrough form, and none of it was highlighted, how does that misconstrue the card?

4) What's the link story on the PTX DA? How does a republican administration passing a bill cause republicans to backlash, and how does backlashing against republican policy make a republican policy pass?

5) Is there any warrant to total grid collapse in your Boyd and Carlson card?

6) Why do states solve better than the USFG? Your solvency advocate just said RTTT and NCLB didn't work out well.

7) How does the aff link to the K? We don't endorse the obligatory school system, or necessarily use it.

8) What does voting for the alt on the K do?

9) Why not just fiat a dismantling of obligatory schooling, that'd solve your impacts.
10) The thumpers are in context of education, why does the aff trigger the Das but not the thumpers?

Edited for clarity.

Edited by Achaemenid

CX:

1) What are 5 affs topical under you education interp that the States CP can't solve?

well given that I didn't debate this topic that much I have no idea about a case list

I would speculate the following: courts affs, STEM, teacher training, military ESA's, puerto rico funding

2) How can regulation affs beat circumvention arguments under your regulation interp?

beat back circumvention???? i mean it's not a particularly good or true argument in any form

3) On the procedural, we included the original text in struckthrough form, and none of it was highlighted, how does that misconstrue the card?

your words may not be in line with the original intent or meaning of the author--you have no idea why the author chose the words they did since you aren't inside their head

4) What's the link story on the PTX DA? How does a republican administration passing a bill cause republicans to backlash, and how does backlashing against republican policy make a republican policy pass?

plan is unpopular among republicans even if trump fiats it----a) it's soft on crime, B) it explicitly helps minorities, c) it explicitly blames police officers for the problem, d) it's spun as social liberal policy, e) republicans are not exactly pro public schools

5) Is there any warrant to total grid collapse in your Boyd and Carlson card?

yes

6) Why do states solve better than the USFG? Your solvency advocate just said RTTT and NCLB didn't work out well.

empirically the feds have done awful--i.e. the fact that you can list failed federal programs, but you can't list failed state programs--at any rate we will read new ev in the block if this becomes a big problem in the 2AC

7) How does the aff link to the K? We don't endorse the obligatory school system, or necessarily use it.

we contend that you do endorse the obligatory school system by trying to improve it; and you do use the school system to implement this policy to help minorities and the disabled in the schools

8) What does voting for the alt on the K do?

see the card--it's a great explanation for what politics we endorse--it's not nihilism or pessimism, but rather a whole new way of political thinking and actions that we take to dismantle capitalism in all spaces including education

9) Why not just fiat a dismantling of obligatory schooling, that'd solve your impacts.

it would not solve- we contend that current obligatory schools are capitalist- this doesn't imply that getting educated is bad, but rather the form of schools today is bad, and the content is extremely capitalist

10) The thumpers are in context of education, why does the aff trigger the Das but not the thumpers?

i mean you said the thumpers only applied to federalism and spending in cross-x of the 1AC and you said midterms/politics da's would not trigger anything  in the framing contention as well; independently, the aff triggers politics because it's wildly unpopular, and the aff triggers federalism with a big new set of regulations on schools---your thumpers are too small to matter--nobody cares about debt recollection in colleges (which independently isn't k-12 education) or about $2 billion in education funding- that's a drop in the bucket 

Edited for clarity.

Also, the stats button on my verbatim is broken. Do any of you have advice for that?

uninstall/reinstall verbatim is the only thing that worked for me in the past

Cool, just a couple quick follow up questions.

1) Status of the CPs and K?

2) I suppose what I'm really asking is what is the warrant in the Boyd card? I didn't find any clear warrant to total collapse in my reading.

uninstall/reinstall verbatim is the only thing that worked for me in the past

I guess I'll give that a try then, thanks! My verbatim is acting up in general, so hopefully that'll solve it. It's getting late and fixing verbatim might take a while, so I think I'll postpone 2ac until tomorrow if that's okay.

• Upvote 1