Nonegfiat

stock issues

why do we have stock issues?

yes, they're burdens of the aff

but it seems to me that they're not procedural rules so much as a mnemonic to remember the pieces it takes to craft a coherent affirmative

for example, if you have solvency, inherency, topicality, and harms but those harms aren't significant, there's no reason to vote affirmative, regardless of the fact that significance is a stock issue, ie a "rule of the game"

is there a reason for thinking of stock issues on the procedural level or is this a meaningless distinction?

• Upvote 3

I think you can meet stock issues without explicitly stating them. The reason to view them as procedural is to have logical burdens not just "suggestions."

• Upvote 1

for example, if you have solvency, inherency, topicality, and harms but those harms aren't significant, there's no reason to vote affirmative, regardless of the fact that significance is a stock issue, ie a "rule of the game"

Actually, this is not correct. Imagine an affirmative that loses on solvency but successfully impact turns a DA. Should they win the round? If stock issues are a procedural burden, then the answer is the affirmative should lose. I don't know if stock issues judges actually evaluate rounds this way, but I think some of them might. They like to have a mental checklist they can rely on to simplify the decision. As far as checklist judging goes, I guess it could be worse.

Edited by Chaos

Actually, this is not correct. Imagine an affirmative that loses on solvency but successfully impact turns a DA. Should they win the round? If stock issues are a procedural burden, then the answer is the affirmative should lose. I don't know if stock issues judges actually evaluate rounds this way, but I think some of them might. They like to have a mental checklist they can rely on to simplify the decision. As far as checklist judging goes, I guess it could be worse.

Arguably, by impact-turning the DA, they've identified new significant harms the Affirmative does solve.

• Upvote 4

they've identified new significant harms the Affirmative does solve.

I guess that the question then becomes do they win the Ballot if they have really strong harms but weak Solvency.