Miro

Netflix!

as a policy debater I didn't really get the full experience because I kept getting bothered by the fact that the movie's debate format is so weird... I'd be more disappointed but the style of debate wasn't specified so I can't really hold it against the movie. also the fact that the producers thought straight A's + a state qual = Harvard/Yale. Other than that i thought it was alright. It was nice to see a performative debate team in the movie too.

note: i thought the way that the winner of each round was decided was so hilarious. some old whitey just points at a team and nods lol.

also the fact that the producers thought straight A's + a state qual = Harvard/Yale. 

Out of context as shown in the trailer, this seems laughable but given the exact context of the movie, it does make sense. Lola, the girl that the scene is referencing, comes from a low-income family raised by a single-mother and is only able to attend the prep school on a need-based scholarship. Combined with her grades and consistent success in debate (4 years of State Qualifying), it seems extremely likely given other things that this would be a real world scenario. 

I actually quite enjoyed the experience of watching the movie and would highly recommend it . Even with the discrepancies regarding the technical aspects of debate, I think the movie nailed the cultural lifestyle of debate perfectly. Staying up late at night, waking up extremely early for tournaments, struggling to have a social life combined with debate, etc. are a crucial part of the debate experience that a focus on a pure technical aspect obscure. The part where Bennett remarks "Were we ever really high schoolers?" sums up many of our experiences in debate whether PF, LD, or CX that other movies about debate (Rocket Science comes to mind) don't do. 

Out of context as shown in the trailer, this seems laughable but given the exact context of the movie, it does make sense. Lola, the girl that the scene is referencing, comes from a low-income family raised by a single-mother and is only able to attend the prep school on a need-based scholarship. Combined with her grades and consistent success in debate (4 years of State Qualifying), it seems extremely likely given other things that this would be a real world scenario. 

I actually quite enjoyed the experience of watching the movie and would highly recommend it . Even with the discrepancies regarding the technical aspects of debate, I think the movie nailed the cultural lifestyle of debate perfectly. Staying up late at night, waking up extremely early for tournaments, struggling to have a social life combined with debate, etc. are a crucial part of the debate experience that a focus on a pure technical aspect obscure. The part where Bennett remarks "Were we ever really high schoolers?" sums up many of our experiences in debate whether PF, LD, or CX that other movies about debate (Rocket Science comes to mind) don't do. 

true i forgot about that. also, Bennett is a senator's kid so i can see how that works in his direction too