Bayernuard

Michigan K Lab?

I'm going to the Mich 7 week K Lab, but I have no idea what to expect, nor do I know how to prepare for it.

Thoughts and advice?

Bonus question! How to get good at the K in general?

Edited by Bayernuard
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The most tired out statement, yet the most true statement, in kritiks, is reading it. I can't stress enough that being well read in the lit base of your kritik is essential at being good at it. You know you are good at running a kritik when you can come up with answers that are specific to your kritik to stuff like "What does the world of the alt look like?" For the Lewis Agamben Study K I read this year, I'd basically answer "sorry, idk. If I did know, the potential of the alt would be ruined, and we would lose all solvency". This would allow me to dodge the question, and avoid the perilous vagueness of my alt, and instead spin these things to my advantage. In my experience with kritiks, there's no "being good at the K in general". "Good" K debaters are good because they understand the nuances of each different kritik that they run, and understand what makes each of them far different from each other. Don't be afraid to dirty up your flow, or be a little inefficient to nail a really strong overview or some really good, in depth, line by lines. It's not like regular policy, where you would get by pretty easily with saying very little but being very efficient. This is not to say that you should be inefficient, as you should still strive for efficiency, but put more of an emphasis on really pouring on the syrup, if you will. The Mich 7 week K lab is absolutely awesome, but you have to put in more than what they give you. During the lab, you should always be thinking about the nuances of your kritik, and how best to frame it. It's all based on your interpretation of the kritik, and I'm of the opinion that no interp is a wrong interp. Good luck at camp! I wish I could be at Mich 7, too, but I won't be attending any camps this year unfortunately :/. Make the most of the great environment, awesome staff, and great group of debaters!

Edited by OutKTheK
  • Upvote 2

The most tired out statement, yet the most true statement, in kritiks, is reading it. I can't stress enough that being well read in the lit base of your kritik is essential at being good at it. You know you are good at running a kritik when you can come up with answers that are specific to your kritik to stuff like "What does the world of the alt look like?" For the Lewis Agamben Study K I read this year, I'd basically answer "sorry, idk. If I did know, the potential of the alt would be ruined, and we would lose all solvency". This would allow me to dodge the question, and avoid the perilous vagueness of my alt, and instead spin these things to my advantage. In my experience with kritiks, there's no "being good at the K in general". "Good" K debaters are good because they understand the nuances of each different kritik that they run, and understand what makes each of them far different from each other. Don't be afraid to dirty up your flow, or be a little inefficient to nail a really strong overview or some really good, in depth, line by lines. It's not like regular policy, where you would get by pretty easily with saying very little but being very efficient. This is not to say that you should be inefficient, as you should still strive for efficiency, but put more of an emphasis on really pouring on the syrup, if you will. The Mich 7 week K lab is absolutely awesome, but you have to put in more than what they give you. During the lab, you should always be thinking about the nuances of your kritik, and how best to frame it. It's all based on your interpretation of the kritik, and I'm of the opinion that no interp is a wrong interp. Good luck at camp! I wish I could be at Mich 7, too, but I won't be attending any camps this year unfortunately :/. Make the most of the great environment, awesome staff, and great group of debaters!

Thank you so much, and I'm so sorry you won't be going to camp! Also, do you know what happens in the first 3 or 4 days at the Michigan K Lab? I'm missing 3 or 4 days for the NSDA tournament, and, naturally, I'm freaking out about missing something important. :P

• Upvote 1

Thank you so much, and I'm so sorry you won't be going to camp! Also, do you know what happens in the first 3 or 4 days at the Michigan K Lab? I'm missing 3 or 4 days for the NSDA tournament, and, naturally, I'm freaking out about missing something important. :P

No idea lol, one of the people on my team is going to Michigan 7, and it's well known for always having a great staff and a great program, one of the best in the country if not the best. Also, because of the high amount of good debaters going there, I HIGHLY doubt they will be covering anything super important, as a lot of them will likely be in Fort Lauderdale having a party at NSDAs...luckyyy, I qualed to CFLs but not NSDAs. I'm constantly getting it lorded over me that Fort Lauderdale is way better than Washington DC. Have fun at NSDAs!

It's good to see another NSDA debater on here, I'll be going to the tournament myself. If you hit an awkardly tall and Skinny dude from Colorado, that's me. I haven't personally gone to the Mich 7 week but I have gone to camps and the first few days will probably be Orientation and basic stuff, which if you are going to Nationals you will probably know anyways. Good luck at Nats and enjoy camp!

It's good to see another NSDA debater on here, I'll be going to the tournament myself. If you hit an awkardly tall and Skinny dude from Colorado, that's me. I haven't personally gone to the Mich 7 week but I have gone to camps and the first few days will probably be Orientation and basic stuff, which if you are going to Nationals you will probably know anyways. Good luck at Nats and enjoy camp!

Good luck at nationals to you, too! And just for the record, I'll be the short and chubby kid with pink hair from Wisconsin. :P

Smh all of you cool kids at Fort Lauderdale while I'm stuck at home

Honestly, I just want some sleep.
Edited by Bayernuard

See you in Fort Lauderdale:) we should do a Cross-X meetup, follow my ig if you have it @licknoew