Virumstein

ODT Round 1 Nihilistkitten [aff] v. Virumstein [neg]

1- Does the 1ac Fiat a response to their demands, if not why will people respond?

2- What are "politics of immidiecy"?

3- Why does your strike necessitate the ballot?

4- What does the speech act of the 1ac do to create new democratic insitutions?

5- What are the implications of deliberation in antidemocratic spaces?

6- If capitalism is failing now why are movements to address it necessary?

7- What does a strategy need to be collective?

8- Can one call for an action without being a strategic leader?

1- Does the 1ac Fiat a response to their demands, if not why will people respond?

First of all, they're calls, not demands. Our argument is not necessarily that they'll 100% be followed -- we just think that our knowledge production is useful for generating a potential politics.

2- What are "politics of immidiecy"?

I don't think the 1ac uses that term.

3- Why does your strike necessitate the ballot?

Because the ballot should endorse the best resistance strategy against empire.

4- What does the speech act of the 1ac do to create new democratic insitutions?

It's not necessarily about our speech act so much as it is our research practice and knowledge production.

5- What are the implications of deliberation in antidemocratic spaces?

I'm not quite sure I understand the question. Our argument isn't that deliberation in antidemocratic spaces is a priori bad, just that it's better if it happens in a more democratic space.

6- If capitalism is failing now why are movements to address it necessary?

It's a question of how the collapse happens; we think we can a) make it less violent and B) make the resulting society better.

7- What does a strategy need to be collective?

I wouldn't use the word strategy to describe the 1AC. I don't think there's an exact brightline for what makes a politics collective, but I think it probably needs to present some kind of cohesive front to Empire.

8- Can one call for an action without being a strategic leader?

Yes. Either in response to some kind of immediate crisis without premeditated appointment or if it's a call-and-response in an internal dialogue, rather than a mandate.

Follow up:

To clarify the question about immidiecy, what does your William and Srnicek evidence mean when they criticize the lefts focus on immidiate politics?

What new knowledge was produced by the reading of the 1ac?

To clarify the question about immidiecy, what does your William and Srnicek evidence mean when they criticize the lefts focus on immidiate politics?

It's a politics which focues on short-term and localized impacts rather than challenging the hegemonic structures which underlie those impacts -- ie, focusing all your attention on specific instances of violence rather than Empire, which causes that specific violence.

What new knowledge was produced by the reading of the 1ac?

I think we've presented a call for a politics against Empire.

Yeah I'm hyped for this round -- a debate between two postoperaismo Italian theorists who agree on everything except the alt.

CX -- CW for suicide in the tenth question:

1. If workers are most successful when acting in solidarity, why does that not prove the thesis-level claim of the aff about presenting a unified front against capital?

2. Why is the aff's strike -- withdrawal from reform and reformation towards engagement with alterglobalist institutions per the fourth Hardt and Negri 17 card -- not "a big wave of withdrawal"?

3. What is info-acceleration? The second Bifo card appears to be about accelerationism in terms of increased interconnectivity due to "the insertion of the electronic into the organic, the proliferation of artificial devices", ie technological development -- how is that the aff?

4. Why do things like the way this debate is happening over the internet on this forum not link?

5. Honest question -- why is the third Bifo card not ableist? What's wrong with "normalization of depression" and why is this a "social epidemic"?

6. What is a "neutral energy"?

7. Why does radical passivity solve if language is the root cause of violence? Also, what's the implication of this claim?

8. What is radical passivity? Why is the ballot key to it? If you don't say what it looks like, how do you have solvency?

9. If both competition and politics are bad, why do you debate?

10. Will you defend that suicide can be a positive political gesture?

11. Do you fiat radical passivity? Is it just you? Do you ask us/the aff/everyone to do it?

As a 2a, that aff is so cool...I've been running the Lewis study k lately, so this'll be a really cool, interesting round to watch for me. Gl to both of you!

You know a lot of the evidence in this round seems very familiar to me. Is it just me Vinay?

Hmm why could I telegraph this 1NC coming in lmao..

Should be fun round to follow.

You know a lot of the evidence in this round seems very familiar to me. Is it just me Vinay?

I mean I cut the whole 1ac except two cards ... not my fault Mason stole the generic Bifo K from the dbox.

I mean I cut the whole 1ac except two cards ... not my fault Mason stole the generic Bifo K from the dbox.

this is a battle royale of our dropbox

• Upvote 1

CX -- CW for suicide in the tenth question:

1. If workers are most successful when acting in solidarity, why does that not prove the thesis-level claim of the aff about presenting a unified front against capital?

We disagree on what that front should be, I say complete passivity, you say ongoing action and theorizing.

2. Why is the aff's strike -- withdrawal from reform and reformation towards engagement with alterglobalist institutions per the fourth Hardt and Negri 17 card -- not "a big wave of withdrawal"?

I pre-empted this actually, the Hard and Negri card you're referring to discusses active resistance and ongoing struggles vs empire. It also outlines sabotage and other methods of active resistance- that's not the withdrawl bifo is advocating for.

3. What is info-acceleration? The second Bifo card appears to be about accelerationism in terms of increased interconnectivity due to "the insertion of the electronic into the organic, the proliferation of artificial devices", ie technological development -- how is that the aff?

Movements like the 1ac necessitate increased communication and dialogue- which have to use communication tech to proliferate connection among the global commons

4. Why do things like the way this debate is happening over the internet on this forum not link?

I think your proliferation of information over the internet is a link

5. Honest question -- why is the third Bifo card not ableist? What's wrong with "normalization of depression" and why is this a "social epidemic"?

It's talking about the social epidemic of strategies of control used to harm and regulate people with depression and suffering mental violence. It normalizes mental suffering and violence caused by capitalism and control, and says they're fine and normal and can be medicated away when they're causing it in the first place. Bifo isn't saying all depression is induced by semiocap, but says a lot of mental suffering is and semiocap tries to justify it

6. What is a "neutral energy"?

I don't think I discuss "neutral energy" in the 1nc

7. Why does radical passivity solve if language is the root cause of violence? Also, what's the implication of this claim?

It's the root cause of a lack of empathy in the context of info acceleration, that creates more violence and people willing to do violence. Passivity resolves that by refusing to participate in the connectivity and desire required by modern capital. 

8. What is radical passivity? Why is the ballot key to it? If you don't say what it looks like, how do you have solvency?

Embracing laziness, self care, and and refusing competition- this necessitates the ballot because you say the ballot should do something, I say it shouldn't and you should vote neg. I don't take a stance on what laziness looks like or what type of self-care people need, but I say they should do it.

9. If both competition and politics are bad, why do you debate?

For fun, I enjoy it

10. Will you defend that suicide can be a positive political gesture?

It can be a form of passivity/withdrawal, our evidence indicates that the system feeds off of energy and that that suicide is one form of refusing to feed into that system

11. Do you fiat radical passivity? Is it just you? Do you ask us/the aff/everyone to do it?

I think that in some shape and form yes we should all do it, but I don't fiat it

1. Why do things like the way this debate is happening over the internet on this forum not link?

I think your proliferation of information over the internet is a link

And yours isn't because...

I think that in some shape and form yes we should all do it, but I don't fiat it

So how do you get offense? Off you doing it or everyone doing it?