Stjsuben

Can Baudrillard/any pomo theory be used as the basis for a humor k?

If anyone already has this PM me to trade- I literally have every cap arg imaginable plus some other cool stuff

I would advise against it, because Baudrillard and other pomo authors make actual arguments which aren't funny tbh. If you want funny, I'm pretty sure Maury put out a satire K a while ago, but I can't remember so don't quote me on that. If you need things that are funny, just cut cards from the Onion

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You probably shouldn't do this. Pomo authors make real arguments, and you don't need to mock them. Saying you're satirizing debate or trolling the other team or whatever and then reading actual arguments that people make is not only rude and hurts the validity of those arguments, but also not very effective. I've seen that, in the debate space, there is often a dismissal of teams who read high theory and pomo stuff as trolls or lazy debaters, especially on some circuits. This isn't true. Many pomo authors may be eccentric and make some arguments that seem odd, but all of these authors are very very smart, and a lot of their arguments are really applicable and make a lot of sense if you actually understand and apply them to the world. If you want to run a humor k or satirize an argument, use something else. Onion cards are great. There are a lot of people who are writing things a whole lot stranger than pomo literature. Use stuff like time cube and ashtar. But probably don't use pomo. If you satirize pomo stuff, that same pomo stuff could be read against you and you could lose to it. If you want to read some of the pomo stuff that talks about satire, and not use the argument as the joke, then go for it. Other than that, I'd suggest you don't try to satirize real arguments.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Not so much "humor" per se, but Halberstam does argue that seriousness and the desire to be taken seriously is a disciplinary tool, and uses Spongebob and other pop culture to make arguments. Could give you a start for research

• Upvote 3

You probably shouldn't do this. Pomo authors make real arguments, and you don't need to mock them. Saying you're satirizing debate or trolling the other team or whatever and then reading actual arguments that people make is not only rude and hurts the validity of those arguments, but also not very effective. I've seen that, in the debate space, there is often a dismissal of teams who read high theory and pomo stuff as trolls or lazy debaters, especially on some circuits. This isn't true. Many pomo authors may be eccentric and make some arguments that seem odd, but all of these authors are very very smart, and a lot of their arguments are really applicable and make a lot of sense if you actually understand and apply them to the world. If you want to run a humor k or satirize an argument, use something else. Onion cards are great. There are a lot of people who are writing things a whole lot stranger than pomo literature. Use stuff like time cube and ashtar. But probably don't use pomo. If you satirize pomo stuff, that same pomo stuff could be read against you and you could lose to it. If you want to read some of the pomo stuff that talks about satire, and not use the argument as the joke, then go for it. Other than that, I'd suggest you don't try to satirize real arguments.

Just about every author makes "real arguments". What you mean is that you're uncomfortable with someone satirizing ideas you sympathize with, and only want them to satirize things you already dislike.

Having said that, I think you're misinterpreting OP's request.

Edited by Chaos
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Thanks for the feedback everyone- could one say that humor is how we point out the arbitrariness of language in the way Baudrillard alts talk about?