John211

Not a Spreader

I'm going to my first national tournament soon and my partner and I don't spread at all. Is there anybody that debate on a national level and does not spread on here? Do you have any advice? 

The main problem that I see is that people will have like a 40 page speech doc with a bunch contentions etc. How are you able to answer?(If you don't spread)

My first recommendation is to request before your round that your opponents not spread. They’ll look like assholes if they refuse. Or, at worst, you can link them into some offense about making debate more exclusionary, if that’s your thing.

Regardless, the issue of people making tons of arguments and the struggle to manage the sheer volume of it all is something that gave me problems for a long time and still does to some extent. The most important way to deal with this is to have good blocks, or at least be familiar with the arguments you know people will read in order to minimize the time spent thinking of answers for things or looking through your backfiles. You should already know how to deal with the common case arguments people make against your aff so you can make sure the 2AC gets through case quickly. At national tournaments, it’s not uncommon for people to read upwards of six off in the 1NC, which can be daunting. Prewritten 2AC blocks which can be quickly thrown into a speech doc are a must. Often times you’ll have to give up winning the time game and just choose your best arguments. Sometimes it doesn’t work to read four uniqueness takeouts in the 2AC— read the one with the best warrants then save the others for the 1AR if needed. Talk with your coaches and partner to come up with a balanced set of answers for all the off case arguments you expect to hit. I divide 2AC answers into “top shelf” (the ones I have my 2A read no matter what, usually about 4 cards) and then a separate header for cards I add if time allows, usually in order of priority.

Very likely you’re going to hit something you’ve never seen before or haven’t prepped before. This is a part of debate and it’s difficult and there’s no getting around that. Impact D is your friend, and so is your aff. For example, at ADA this year we hit a disad that we had no prep for, which argued our plan’s funding mechanism decreases oil demand which would cause a war. We beat it by cross applying a piece of 1AC evidence that said we lead to a net increase in wages, which solves oil demand. Never be afraid to forefront logical, “truthy” analytics. There’s also a double bind that helps you— either the link is specific in which case you have some means of predicting it since you know what your aff does, or it’s generic in which case you automatically have some room to no link out of it.

If it’s a kritik, there are oodles of generic kritik answers out there that work great, but only insofar as you contextualize them to your aff. Don’t just say engaging the state is good, read the card and then explain why your specific instance of engagement is good. If you want more help with prepping kritik answers, feel free to shoot me a PM because my season is over and I have plenty of K backfiles. In either case, I would make sure you’re prepared with a robust set of kritik answers that defend your method, epistemology, etc because unless you come from a K heavy local circuit, which is uncommon, you can expect a drastic uptick in the number of K rounds.

• Upvote 6

Most people who spread their affs have a lot of cards that are centerd around a general arguement. I think one of the best things you can do in responding is the grouping of their cards or arguements. For example, if they five cards saying racism occurs in the United States school system today, you don't need to read five cards to respond to this. If you're able to just respond with a single, general card towards an argument with multiple cards basically saying the same thing, then you're good. I love a good speed k or speed theory, but some judges don't go for that, and I think grouping the other team's arguement would be a good first option, then resorting to a speed k or speed theory may be the second best option if speaking is your thing.

With that being said, you shouldn't resort to simply defense in nationals, you'll get smoked if you only read defensive, or responsive arguements, make sure to include at least one off that gives you a bit of offense, good luck!

Most people who spread their affs have a lot of cards that are centerd around a general arguement. I think one of the best things you can do in responding is the grouping of their cards or arguements. For example, if they five cards saying racism occurs in the United States school system today, you don't need to read five cards to respond to this. If you're able to just respond with a single, general card towards an argument with multiple cards basically saying the same thing, then you're good. I love a good speed k or speed theory, but some judges don't go for that, and I think grouping the other team's arguement would be a good first option, then resorting to a speed k or speed theory may be the second best option if speaking is your thing.

With that being said, you shouldn't resort to simply defense in nationals, you'll get smoked if you only read defensive, or responsive arguements, make sure to include at least one off that gives you a bit of offense, good luck!

hm