Sarollas

Ways to file complaints against biased judges

Their are a few judges in my circuit that absolutely hate my school, dropping the third team in my district to a novice because "I didn't really believe the arguments, they wherent contested, just not beliveable" it was ligit no solvency because of the novices own bill, also after tally of ballot this year my school as a whole is 0-7 with her as a judge,

Any suggestions on how to get her to like my school more, history goes the teams before my times where extremely rude to one of her teams.

• Upvote 1

The fight is probably not winnable without your coach doing backroom politics stuff, and you might make it worse by escalating. Talk to your coach if you think something must be done about this, but if your coach is unwilling or unable to help you then you should do nothing. Additionally, I'd advise against asking questions like this under your real name and school in the future. You might want to take the time to edit your account information (or not, your choice).

I wonder if it would help if tournaments made a token effort to blind judges to the school of the teams they're judging, by moving to a last name only system. It would have little effect on the judges most active in the activity on the debaters most competitively successful, but it could still be a step in the right direction. Even the most confident judges might be more reluctant to discriminate based on school if there were a bit more uncertainty as to someone's location. I suppose the main reason not to do this is that schools want to spread prestige by showing off their association to talented students?

• Upvote 6

1. Strike the judge.

2. Make sure your coach knows, and see if they can talk to the judge and try to resolve it.

3. Be nice and polite to the judge whenever you can. Being rude will only make it worse.

4. If none of this helps, you could try to contact people who coordinate debates in your circuit or tabrooms to see if they can intervene or at least prevent her from judging your school as much.

• Upvote 2

Many circuits do not have a strike system in place for judging. From the way you described a round and the way you described this judge, I imagine your circuit is one of those with no strikes, and perhaps even no prefs. In that case you need to "conflict" the judge. Conflicts are reserved for personal relationships, not argumentative disagreement. Talk to your coach, explain the situation, and if your coach believes this warrants a "conflict" you will never see this judge again. 

• Upvote 2

Their are a few judges in my circuit that absolutely hate my school, dropping the third team in my district to a novice because "I didn't really believe the arguments, they wherent contested, just not beliveable" it was ligit no solvency because of the novices own bill, also after tally of ballot this year my school as a whole is 0-7 with her as a judge,

Any suggestions on how to get her to like my school more, history goes the teams before my times where extremely rude to one of her teams.

Is this UIL?

• Upvote 1

Is this UIL?

No it's not unfortunately it's OSSAA the state circuit, unfortunately the rules don't allow strikes, after our coach talked to the tournament commissioner said if we have a problem with the judges our only option was to move up a division, thank everyone for replies though

The fight is probably not winnable without your coach doing backroom politics stuff, and you might make it worse by escalating. Talk to your coach if you think something must be done about this, but if your coach is unwilling or unable to help you then you should do nothing. Additionally, I'd advise against asking questions like this under your real name and school in the future. You might want to take the time to edit your account information (or not, your choice).

I wonder if it would help if tournaments made a token effort to blind judges to the school of the teams they're judging, by moving to a last name only system. It would have little effect on the judges most active in the activity on the debaters most competitively successful, but it could still be a step in the right direction. Even the most confident judges might be more reluctant to discriminate based on school if there were a bit more uncertainty as to someone's location. I suppose the main reason not to do this is that schools want to spread prestige by showing off their association to talented students?

I have only ever lurked here, soaking up the shared wisdom of the board. The competitor who posted the original posting needs to be clearer on the details. I was judging larger schools in that tournament and a male judge in the elimination rounds the op lost told me he voted against a team because a debater was being immature and unsportsmanlike. For reference, the original poster's school went 0-4 first elimination Thursday night. The next morning I judged two teams who had won Thursday night and neither was novice, however there were two other teams I did not see.

• Downvote 2

I have only ever lurked here, soaking up the shared wisdom of the board. The competitor who posted the original posting needs to be clearer on the details. I was judging larger schools in that tournament and a male judge in the elimination rounds the op lost told me he voted against a team because a debater was being immature and unsportsmanlike. For reference, the original poster's school went 0-4 first elimination Thursday night. The next morning I judged two teams who had won Thursday night and neither was novice, however there were two other teams I did not see.

You are correct I should have been more specific, in the first elimination round, my team revived a judges that not only had never judged a cx round, or been in one, you might have my school wrong as we did not go 0-4, the judge in question will remain unnamed but has a history of voting against our school, including at that tournament voting against our teams 3 times, the round in question on the ballot said that we one topicality (was neg) but lost the round, so sorry if I might be unhappy

*the novice team was not at the OSSAA tournament but at a regular tournament

Edited by Sarollas

You are correct I should have been more specific, in the first elimination round, my team revived a judges that not only had never judged a cx round, or been in one, you might have my school wrong as we did not go 0-4, the judge in question will remain unnamed but has a history of voting against our school, including at that tournament voting against our teams 3 times, the round in question on the ballot said that we one topicality (was neg) but lost the round, so sorry if I might be unhappy

*the novice team was not at the OSSAA tournament but at a regular tournament

The main problem I saw was the use of LD coaches as Policy judges. I mentioned to several committee members the idea of a real policy judge will always be objective according to their paradigms. Sorry to hear about that T call though, which aff were you all going against?

Edited by dracunculoides
  • Upvote 1

No it's not unfortunately it's OSSAA the state circuit, unfortunately the rules don't allow strikes, after our coach talked to the tournament commissioner said if we have a problem with the judges our only option was to move up a division, thank everyone for replies though

Can you move down a division too? 

Can you move down a division too? 

I can't answer this, but as I believe it to be, the division is based upon school size with the each division having a maximum school size, if you are below that size you may be able to move down, however don't quote me on this, as i only know of schools that have moved up, specifically in my state Crossings Christian, from 3A to 5A,