jhirsch

Education Vdebate: jhirsch (aff) v. thetrue08 (neg)

Alright, if you want to get judges I'm down, otherwise we'll just start.

Word limits are 2750/1625.

Here's the 1AC, Inherency, Advantage 1, Advantage 2, Advantage 3, Solvency. 2745 words

Open for cross.

Vdebate 1AC.docx

Paradigm:

Truth>Tech:I'm more likely to vote for you if I buy your impacts.

Impact calc and evidence comparison are great ways to win me over.

Case: I really enjoy case debate. Neg should really try on case. I'm willing to vote on presumption/case turns

Ks: I'll vote on them. The more responsive to case the better. Also I like alts that are applicable in the Real World. I don't like Postmodern/High Theory stuff that much.

T/Theory: Default to competing interps, but citing in-round abuse is great.

CPs: Like them a lot. Lean aff on most theory issues, including 50 state fiat.

DAs: Love 'em. 

I’d like to judge

TLDR- you do you, just know what the heck you’re talking about and be able to explain it

Overall:

Like I said, I don't care what you read as long as its not blatantly offensive (@me), and has a coherent warrant. In that sense I default tech>truth but my only limit is if you can explain why its a voting issue. No explanation makes me sad and your speaks and the decision will most likely reflect that as well. Other than that I default offense-defense.

Case's:

Overreaching stuff-

I'm down to here any kind of case, whether it's T or not (at your own discretion because T debate is also a big favorite of mine), I tend to believe that the aff has to have some small percentage of a solvency claim and an impact to truly win an aff. Meaning I will vote on a risk of aff solvency even if it's not 100%.

K affs-

I'm cool with k affs, my only thing about them is that their has to be a link to the topic otherwise I'm gonna err neg a lot more heavily on the FW debate. I don't have a side tendency in terms of the FW debate, the best way to convince me that the is/is not bad is the limits debate. If you can win the limits debate that's most likely how I'll vote. That being said creative turns specific to your aff get you a lot farther then generic FW answers, but either one will suffice if explained well enough.

CP's:

CP's are cool. I don't really have a side preference on CP theory, if the abuse story is legitimate and you prove that the CP promotes a bad model of debate I'll vote on it. However I'll default to reject the arg unless you get a really solid abuse story behind it.

I tend to believe that a CP doesn't have to solve 100% of the aff as long as the net benefit is still a thing.

Aff weighing on CP solvency and the net benefit is an underused skill I think people should use more, make weighing claims on the CP that make sense will make me surprised and happy

I don't really have a side preference on 50 state fiat, so that's up in the air but I default to reject the arg on it unless told otherwise

I only judge kick if directed to

DA's:

DA's are cool, just have a link chain that makes some coherent sense and I'll be willing to vote on it.

In terms of the impact debate, I guess I default to probability first in terms of impact calc. If you win impact calc and a framing question as to how you access probability you are probably ahead in the debate

Risk of an impact is a thing, just tell me how that outweighs your opponents impacts

Internal link turns by the aff are underutilized, I love them when they are used so keep that in mind

K's:

I'm cool with them. I tend to be persuaded more by the link story if you have a link to the resolution as well.

Multiple links are noice and probably better for me to err towards you in terms of the perm debate

Multiple perms aren't abusive unless proven otherwise but I will hold you to a very high standard on it. However each perm the aff makes will need more than a blippy two line extension for me to vote on it

Alt's just need a risk of solvency to make me weigh them

DA's specific to the alt make me happy and gives me more reason to believe they're a bad idea

In terms of K FW I err aff but can be swayed either way

K's bad is a bad arg but I'll vote on it if done extremely well.

Topicality:

I default to competing interps but can be persuaded to err reasonability

That being said at least establish a brightline for reasonability because I hate judge intervention

Limits is probably most convincing for me

I believe that debate is a game and that fairness constructs the game and its rules. So I inherently think fairness o/w education BUT I can be convinced otherwise

You don't need in-round abuse for me to vote for you on T, you just need to prove your model of debate is better

RVI's are fake and don't exist in policy so don't even try it

Theory:

Condo I err aff after there are 3 or more advocacies

Don't try to be sneaky with dispositionality because I treat it the same as condo in terms of evaluation

Blippy theory arg's (brackets theory, etc.) errs aff

I err reasonability to everything excpet condo and dispo, but can be persuaded to competing interps

10 second shells deserve 10 second responses, please don't waste time

Overall:

Have fun and make this debate as educational and interesting as you can. Good luck!!

Ok Cross-X Questions-

What is the due process clause of the fourteenth amendment?

How does the aff change curriculum?

Why is quality education Good?

What is considered Quality Education?

What about racial Integration solves quality education?

How does the aff prevent things such as white flight?

You say the aff ins[ires othe rsocial change how does the aff overcome structural racism?

How does the aff ensure that urban school districts get adequate funding?

Ok Cross-X Questions-

What is the due process clause of the fourteenth amendment?

No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

How does the aff change curriculum?

The aff doesn't directly change curriculum, we regulate the actions of local actors and create the conditions that allow curriculum to be taught in failing schools.

Why is quality education Good?

Deprivation of quality education is a form of structural violence because it's directly correlated to poverty. Quality education created equality of opportunity, it's the most important impact in the round.

What is considered Quality Education?

Quality education is when all students have access to the resources they need to succeed, whatever that means for them. This concept is also known as educational equity.

What about racial Integration solves quality education?

Integration creates quality education for a couple key reasons. 1) Contact theory increases achievement for students 2) rich and poor students interacting decreases the gap

How does the aff prevent things such as white flight?

That's why multi-district desegregation is key. If white flight occurs we can still bus or change district lines to ensure racial balance.

You say the aff inspires other social change how does the aff overcome structural racism?

The inspiration of social change is how we overcome structural racism. Also, look at the Semules card, racism is broken down when people of color and whites have to interact in integrated settings.

How does the aff ensure that urban school districts get adequate funding?

That can be done through the redrawing of district lines, or because when rich white kids now have to go to these poorer schools, parents are more likely to invest in that education so that their students have a better outcome.

Cross of the 1NC:

1. What is the alt on the Cap K?

2. How does the alt of the K and the CP interact? Does the negative view the two going into effect in the same world or different ones?

3. Will you go for both the K and the CP or will you restrict yourself to one of the two by the 2NR?

4. What exactly does the CP do?

5. How does the CP solve for the legal precedent inscribed by Milliken?

6. How does the CP solve for the effects of white flight in the case of sub-urbanization?

7. Is economic growth leading to innovation good or is capitalism something to be rejected? 

8. Will you keep the framing regardless of which argument you go for?

9. How does the aff rely on contact theory?

10. Your Penn card speaks about redistricting in the context of low-income schools dealing with budget issues, but what does this have to do with integration?

Cross of the 1NC:

1. What is the alt on the Cap K?

2. How does the alt of the K and the CP interact? Does the negative view the two going into effect in the same world or different ones?

3. Will you go for both the K and the CP or will you restrict yourself to one of the two by the 2NR?

4. What exactly does the CP do?

5. How does the CP solve for the legal precedent inscribed by Milliken?

6. How does the CP solve for the effects of white flight in the case of sub-urbanization?

7. Is economic growth leading to innovation good or is capitalism something to be rejected? 

8. Will you keep the framing regardless of which argument you go for?

9. How does the aff rely on contact theory?

10. Your Penn card speaks about redistricting in the context of low-income schools dealing with budget issues, but what does this have to do with integration?

1. The alt is to withdraw faith and participation from capitalism which means t cease in all capitalist activities and mindsets

2. They are different worlds

3. I'll go for one they are dispositional

4. CP has the 50 states work together in order to prevent exclusionary zoning and enforce integration functionally it does the effects of the aff

5. The interstate compact and FIAT allows for enforcement

6. The prevention of exclusionary practices

7. I would argue that economic growth doesn't lead to innovation

8. Sure

9. It's to prevent a 1aar pivot

10. because there will stil be low income schools without quality education

Follow ups:

3. What is the condition that you'll kick under (perm, DA to the CP/alt, etc)?

4. So to clarify, the CP advances the efforts of integration?

7. Your DA has an internal link chain predicated on innovation being good, since IP protections are supposed to ensure economic growth how is there no link between the two?

9. What do you mean? I'm talking about contact theory as it comes to integration, we never claimed it so I'm wondering why you think we rely on it

10. So is the Penn card an alt cause or a solvency takeout?

3. Ill kick if you straight turn either

4. yes

7. IP is for warming according to the DA also the DA and K are separate worlds

9. It is to prevent a pivot towards you solve racism and white flight etc...

10. altcause is a solvency deficit lol doesn't matter