TheTrashDebater

Education vDebate: TheTrashDebater (Aff) versus maturdebater69 (Neg)

UDL 1AC.docx

The word limits are 2750/1625

Anyone can judge, just post your paradigm on the thread

Word count for the 1AC is 1580, I stand open for CX

Edited by TheTrashDebater
  • Upvote 1

I'm interested judging since I run a udl aff myself  here's my paradigm

1. you do you run whatever you want but only if you can explain to a baby debater like me I won't get your theory stuff if it's not explain

2. even tho I love T's and stuff try to stay on the main topic of the round I will only vote on T if it goes unanswered 

3. im more of a k debater my self so I will lean towards that but I'm okay with anything as long as I get it 

4. again in a pretty lay judge but I will read and reread the arguments being made 

5. have fun 

ill judge this round if you guys are ok with it 

1. Tech over truth

2. if u read anything that isn't str8 policy or like cap + ID PTX be sure to explain hella well 

3. default to CI

4. imo up to 5 condo is ok

Cross Ex Questions:

Why is the Federal Government key to implement plan?

Does your case regulate charter schools? If so how?

If IDEA programs is your inherent barrier, how does case solve without removing it?

Are separate placements opt in by parents? Your Swenson '17 card states "Schools can't become inclusive if parents continue to sign IEPs agreeing to separate and unequal placement" which seems to indicate that.

Do all IDEA programs separate special ed kids? The swenson card talked about a "risk of placement"

How does plan increase regulation? Does it just mandate schools implement UDL?

How will the special needs of special need students be met while with the general population?

Does your plan provide funding?

Has UDL been implemented before? If so where?

I'm fairly busy tomorrow, but the 1NC should be up around Wednesday.

Cross Ex Questions:

Cool, if you look at the first Hehir card in contention 2 it refers to the idea that federal action is key through a signaling complex, it sends a strong line stance that this specific thing needs to be reformed. Also the states are pretty bad when it comes to any individual action over issues such as the aff so a federal plan is key

Yes, we just implement the same UDL standards as we would via public schools

If IDEA programs is your inherent barrier, how does case solve without removing it?

I mean implement UDL into current IDEA standards solves pretty well, even then UDL would completely restructure the policies of IDEA

Are separate placements opt in by parents? Your Swenson '17 card states "Schools can't become inclusive if parents continue to sign IEPs agreeing to separate and unequal placement" which seems to indicate that.

Not always, even then UDL eliminates the ability for that to happen and just promotes inclusivity

Do all IDEA programs separate special ed kids? The swenson card talked about a "risk of placement"

Yes

Yes

How will the special needs of special need students be met while with the general population?

CAST and Chen answer this great, they both indicate that they offer multiple ways to represent and engage differently abled students and adapt to their ways of learning

Nah

Nope

Alright, take your time

Cross Ex Questions:

Cool, if you look at the first Hehir card in contention 2 it refers to the idea that federal action is key through a signaling complex, it sends a strong line stance that this specific thing needs to be reformed. Also the states are pretty bad when it comes to any individual action over issues such as the aff so a federal plan is key

Yes, we just implement the same UDL standards as we would via public schools

I mean implement UDL into current IDEA standards solves pretty well, even then UDL would completely restructure the policies of IDEA

Not always, even then UDL eliminates the ability for that to happen and just promotes inclusivity

Yes

Yes

CAST and Chen answer this great, they both indicate that they offer multiple ways to represent and engage differently abled students and adapt to their ways of learning

Nah

Nope

Alright, take your time

Two more questions

Are charter schools required to follow the same requirements as public schools in regards to special educations?

How is plan enforced? Will it be different between public and charters?

If UDL has never been attempted before, how do we know it will work?

Two more questions

Are charter schools required to follow the same requirements as public schools in regards to special educations?

Yes

How is plan enforced? Will it be different between public and charters?

Like how normal federal education standards are enforced, you do a bad in terms of the plan then there are reprecussions, and no it won’t, charter schools will be held to the same standard

If UDL has never been attempted before, how do we know it will work?

Sorry let me clarify, multiple studies have been conducted over UDL promising it’s success, however, it’s never been implemented by governmental policy

Order is ESPEC, Unfunded Mandate DA, Federalism DA, States CP, case

word count is 2500 something (the word counter stopped working for me and it was in that ballpark last time I checked)

I am now open for Cross-ex

Ill judge based on the 1NC/AC I don't think it would have made a dramatic difference in the strategic choices of wither side also I'll just give my paradigm based on what applies in this debate

Impacts are important

use CX strategically

Evidence comparison and choose in the final rebuttals

Theory-

Condo- Don't care debate it out be smart I'm a 2N so a fan of neg cheating but as I give the 1AR I'm sympathetic to that as well

SPEC args- I think they are stupid not saying I won't vote o them because they do have their utilities but I would need clear examples of in round abuse in the 2NR to be persuaded to vote on it

States- It's fine there are different levels of cheating so it's really up to the debaters and the round as to whether or not I would end up voting on theory in the debate although having debated this before I do think that having like 5 funding planks and FIATing out of every solvency deficit is probably cheating and the neg should have to do some real debating

Case-

Do it I love it I think it isn't utilized enough my favorite 2NR will be a DA and Case especially love a good impact turn debate

DA-

1. Impact Impact Impact- it's important weigh it IL turn it whatever just engage with each others impacts

2. DOn't be stupid and O/W you'r link in the block with UQ cards

3. Framing debates are interesting if done right boring otherwise

CP-

1. If aff win a marginal solvency deficit

2. ALWAYS make a perm

• Upvote 1

Here's CX

What enforcement DA's have you lost ground?

What's the status of the CP?

On your mandate DA, specifically copeland. It says that empirically based theories prove but when has econ decline caused war in history?

Fletcher 09 on case, what does the negative define as an emotional problem?

What's the timeframe on warming?

When have states been net better for differently abled students?

Where in your Swenson highlight does it say "the federal government can't reform charter schools"?

Here's CX

What enforcement DA's have you lost ground?

For three quick examples Federal Funding DA, saying schools won't comply and thus will lose federal funding (without specing that enforcement will include removing federal funding from non-complaint schools we don't link)

Charters DA, saying your enforcement mechanism sets a precedent for increased federal involvement in charter schools (can't link without a specific enforcement mechanism)

DOE Tradeoff DA- saying time/manpower spent with enforcement of plan trades-off with other areas of DOE responsibility 

What's the status of the CP?

Condo

On your mandate DA, specifically copeland. It says that empirically based theories prove but when has econ decline caused war in history?

The card has tons of examples, here are two excerpts that give 3 examples, including Japan in WWII, almost war between Russia and the US in the Cold War, Germany in WWI, but the evidence also generally showed that since 1790 87% of Great Power wars have been caused by lowered trade expectations.

"A spiral of economic restrictions and increasingly aggressive behavior can result that pushes the system into crisis as well as war, with the lead-up to the Pacific War providing the most dramatic example." 

"The most obvious case of this is the early Cold War, where the United States practiced severe economic containment against the Soviet Union in order to prevent the Soviets from making economic gains that would increase their long-term power base. But as a result, the Soviets felt pushed into a more assertive policy toward the third world than they might otherwise have thought prudent. Concerns about Germany’s growing preponderance in Europe led to increasing economic restrictions by Britain and France after 1895—actions that fueled German fears that over the long term, Germany would decline relative to new economic powers such as Russia and the United States."

Fletcher 09 on case, what does the negative define as an emotional problem?

A disability that limits one's control of their emotions.

What's the timeframe on warming?

We need to take action now.

When have states been net better for differently abled students?

States are better for all students writ large, thats both the Hess/Kelly '15 card and the NYU '11 card. The Gregory/Kaufman '10 card on the fed DA specifically mentions differently abled students, and how not only is special education a right of the states constitutionally, but also cites Connecticut specifically, when they had standardized tests that better accommodated differently abled students, which was ended due to NCLB.

Where in your Swenson highlight does it say "the federal government can't reform charter schools"?

First of all, i never said "the federal government can't reform charter schools" specifically, second of all, I think you're talking about my Wieseltier highlight, which talks about how the current state of special education in charter schools today is due to federal regulations like the aff that can't be followed through or enforced properly, especially when there aren't resources provided to the schools.

Edited by masturdebater69
  • Upvote 1

CX

1. What's the warrant to the Bowman card?

2. Why aren't the alt causes responsive to the aff?

3. What illnesses/disabilities does UDL apply to?

4. On Scenario 2 you say extend antash and imperato- is that the card tagged as  "Integration of children with special needs into classes with peers fosters communicative and social skills that are necessary to equality of opportunity. The current system isolates special needs students, leaving them unprepared for the future."? If so where does it say ableism is learned?

5. The strassfeld 17 card mentions IDEAs disproportionality monitoring. How has that failed?

CX

1. What's the warrant to the Bowman card?

Bowman talks about how UDL reduces costs over time for these programs, and even then it doesn’t really need funding to be effective

2. Why aren't the alt causes responsive to the aff?

Because both cards are talking about the effects of prison and homelessness, but they don’t take into account for the people with learning disabilities that are in those populations

3. What illnesses/disabilities does UDL apply to?

All learning disabilities

4. On Scenario 2 you say extend antash and imperato- is that the card tagged as  "Integration of children with special needs into classes with peers fosters communicative and social skills that are necessary to equality of opportunity. The current system isolates special needs students, leaving them unprepared for the future."? If so where does it say ableism is learned?

Yes it is, here’s a specific line “Thus, segregated schooling limits the opportunities available to those being segregated. Segregated schooling results in segregated adult lives. In contrast, the benefits of integration are great.”

5. The strassfeld 17 card mentions IDEAs disproportionality monitoring. How has that failed?

That is the failure? Disproportionately monitoring is the idea of an over or under representation of a group in schooling

Two more questions

1. How does the abuse suffered on the CP carry over to other areas?

2. What are the specific life outcomes associated with the status quo in special education?

Edited by masturdebater69

Two more questions

1. How does the abuse suffered on the CP carry over to other areas?

If you're asking how the CP abuses the aff outside of the CP, it promotes a bad model of debate that ultimately encourages other instances of abuse

2. What are the specific life outcomes associated with the status quo in special education?

Can you rephrase this, I can't quite understand what you're asking