InterrogatinReality

Kansas wins NDT

This is the second year in a row that black debaters have won the NDT. Although Kansas did not unite the crowns, the environment of the ndt seems to be changing. In the early 2000s Louisville only made it to quarters. A decade later, they opened a doorway for black debaters to win the ndt. Simply amazing !

Edited by tommy949
  • Upvote 2

Also may I remark that this was a year of upsets. Harvard MS dropping in Semis along with a slew of other top teams dropping rather early in elims

• Upvote 1

Congrats to Kansas on an incredible season and an amazing tournament. The way they started this year with GSU and Kentucky it was obvious they were something special.

Also Natalie Knez had an incredible tournament as well. Her speeches are just mind blowing, and it’s so awesome she got top speaker. Bernstein too, as a freshman having to give all those 1ARs against the best neg blocks in debate, just incredible. All around this was a really exciting NDT. I was rooting for Georgetown in finals and 4-3 is a rough margin for a decision but it’s hard not to be in awe of the sheer intellectual power of all of these debaters. To achieve anywhere near their level in my career is as much as I can hope for.

Also may I remark that this was a year of upsets. Harvard MS dropping in Semis along with a slew of other top teams dropping rather early in elims

I don’t think dropping in NDT semis to the Copeland winner counts as an upset. If you wanna talk about upsets, talk about Wake AW vs Michigan GW or Liberty HS vs Emory FG.

• Upvote 2

This is the second year in a row that black debaters have won the NDT. Although Kansas did not unite the crowns, the environment of the ndt seems to be changing. In the early 2000s Louisville only made it to quarters. A decade later, they opened a doorway for black debaters to win the ndt. Simply amazing !

only one of them is black. 

Congrats to Kansas on an incredible season and an amazing tournament. The way they started this year with GSU and Kentucky it was obvious they were something special.

Also Natalie Knez had an incredible tournament as well. Her speeches are just mind blowing, and it’s so awesome she got top speaker. Bernstein too, as a freshman having to give all those 1ARs against the best neg blocks in debate, just incredible. All around this was a really exciting NDT. I was rooting for Georgetown in finals and 4-3 is a rough margin for a decision but it’s hard not to be in awe of the sheer intellectual power of all of these debaters. To achieve anywhere near their level in my career is as much as I can hope for.

why was she the 2a this year when she was the 2n previously? 

It seems like Katz was a very traditional policy debater before this year if you look at the wikis of previous years

idk if that's what he actually wanted to do, if he debated with q, he's probably a flex debater but flexed policy because i'ts ku

• Upvote 1

@monkeybusiness actually it’s somewhat of the other way around. One of my friends that debates at KU said that in reality he wanted to stay policy but knew his best chance at winning came from going K. I guess it worked haha

@monkeybusiness actually it’s somewhat of the other way around. One of my friends that debates at KU said that in reality he wanted to stay policy but knew his best chance at winning came from going K. I guess it worked haha

that's what i meant, sorry if i was unclear.  he's flex(ible) in what argument he can execute, and did performance because his partner is good at it.  I never said anything about his preferences.