Austinkiihnl

Best K debater of all time

This is a good question, but I think that there are many different kinds of debate. There are teams like Michigan KM who run high theory stuff like baudrillard and bataille, then there are teams reading race and identity arguments, like Kansas KR. I think that this is definitely a subjective and complicated question, but I'm interested to hear what people think. 

Michigan km was insane but a little hard to understand because of the level of theory, there is also rutgers mn who were definitely not a traditional K team. Then there is teams like mcdonough who just straight up outdebate people on the alt, impact, and framework debate. It really depends on what you are focusing on but i think those three teams are some of the best from recent years, but i have not been paying attention to the circuit for very long I obviously am missing a lot of very good teams.

Who is considered to be the best kritik debater of all time- high school or college?

If you wanna go based off of accomplishments, Rutgers NM and Emporia SW won both the NDT and CEDA in 2017 and 2013, respectively, which is a big deal. K teams to win the TOC in high school include McDonogh JN, Centennial KK, and CK McClatchy HS (I guess they count as a K team, but they're pretty flex)

Obviously there's also Michigan KM, Oklahoma CL, Loyola EM, and Harvard BS. Kansas KR has been dominant this year and I wouldn't be surprised if they won the NDT. Wake Forest EF is a double first year team who's been absolutely scary this year, making it to quarters of both swings and getting a first round. I can only imagine how good they'll be as seniors. While we're on the topic of Wake, Charles Athanasopoulos is another top-notch K debater. He made it to NDT semis last year as Wake AS and could make another run this year.

Other top K teams from high school-- NoBro MR, BCC EY, BCC GM, Little Rock Central WW, MBA GJ, Bronx Law AL.

In terms of who's the best, it's pretty subjective. There's no one team or debater considered to be the best of all time, but right now it's probably safe to say no one is topping Quaram Robinson from Kansas. But again, it's all up to opinion. 

Edited by Nonegfiat
  • Upvote 1

Other top K teams from high school-- Loyola EM

Just a correction: Loyola Marymount University EM was a college team who got to semis of the 2012 NDT. There is also a Loyola high school, but EM was from the University.

Ryan wash in my opinion was the best K debater of our time. He also coached Rutgers nm to win the Ndt so technically he won the crowns both times one as a debater and one as a coach. Props to him!

• Upvote 3

If you wanna go based off of accomplishments, Rutgers NM and Emporia SW won both the NDT and CEDA in 2017 and 2013, respectively, which is a big deal. K teams to win the TOC in high school include McDonogh JN, Centennial KK, and CK McClatchy HS (I guess they count as a K team, but they're pretty flex)

Obviously there's also Michigan KM, Oklahoma CL, and Harvard BS. Kansas KR has been dominant this year and I wouldn't be surprised if they won the NDT. Wake Forest EF is a double first year team who's been absolutely scary this year, making it to quarters of both swings and getting a first round. I can only imagine how good they'll be as seniors. While we're on the topic of Wake, Charles Athanasopoulos is another top-notch K debater. He made it to NDT semis last year as Wake AS and could make another run this year.

Other top K teams from high school-- Loyola EM, BCC EY, BCC GM, Little Rock Central WW, MBA GJ, Bronx Law AL.

In terms of who's the best, it's pretty subjective. There's no one team or debater considered to be the best of all time, but right now it's probably safe to say no one is topping Quaram Robinson from Kansas. But again, it's all up to opinion. 

whats BCC?

Just a correction: Loyola Marymount University EM was a college team who got to semis of the 2012 NDT. There is also a Loyola high school, but EM was from the University.

o shit my bad

Jon Brody from Texas, he invented kritiking. 

I thought that was Bill Shanahan. I could be wrong

Edited by Nonegfiat

Harvard BS is probably super inflated in terms of how good they actually are at debate. Other college debaters used to say that their success was from the huge coaching structure Harvard had/has. Despite this, Bolman still did have a large amount of knowledge of psychoanalysis but outside of that, meh. 

Personally, the best K team is probably Michigan KM or Loyola EM. They have a VERY unique style like being super trolly but still had the mechanics of debate DOWN. Both debaters had high levels of technical skills, argumentative breadth, and just in general debate sense. Loyola on the other hand quite literally invented our now kritik debating in terms of both style and the arguments themselves. Baudrillard, Bataille, Nietzsche and many others are all either Loyola creations or have been taken to a whole other level. Again, Loyola maintained high levels of technical skills and a humongous argumentative breadth. Another important fact is the fact that Loyola actually coached both BoSu and KM, which imo adds to their resume.

Another really really good team is UMKC AT. Despite having less argumentative breadth (not because they don't know the arguments, just their preference), they are incredibly technical and have definitely made the achievements. Finals of CEDA and Octas or quarters of the NDT? (personally think the round vs Rutgers was bs but whatever).

Conclusion: I think its Loyola cuz James is the best. :)

I actually met him at the UT tournament.

What was he like?  And what year?  Never got the chance to meet the guy. 

The K was invented by multiple peeps.  Shanahan invented Nietzsche, Brody invented Foucault, Warner invented Wilderson. 

He was pretty nice. I met him at the 2017 UT tournament and I was talking to him about starting to run Ks. He was already an NDT first rounder when he started to run Ks and he started with stuff like Feminism, Biopower, and Capitalism.

I know Brian McBride is sometimes credited with being the first to "kritik".

He was pretty nice. I met him at the 2017 UT tournament and I was talking to him about starting to run Ks. He was already an NDT first rounder when he started to run Ks and he started with stuff like Feminism, Biopower, and Capitalism.

We must be thinking of different Jon Brodys.  The one I'm referring to died: http://www.cedadebate.org/forum/index.php/topic,1861.msg3525.html#msg3525

Edited by monkeybusiness

Are you thinking of Michael Antonucci?

No it wasn’t Nooch but it was a former UT debater who was the first debater to ever run a K