OutKTheK

A good "USFG = the people" definition

So the main card that talks about the USFG = the people framework argument is awful for many reasons. Howard is a high schooler. And while this can be funny when people say "high schoolers can't be trusted" without realizing that they, in fact, are high schoolers, it doesn't really work as a definition. Also, that was a Jeffersonian democracy, which isn't exactly what we are. We are a mixture of Jeffersonian/Jacksonian, etc democracies. So, I spent a long time trying to find a decent card written by a decent guy, and guess what? I found it. This is my first and only contribution to CX so far, so I hope it helps at least a bit, lol.

USFG = the people

Merloe 16 (Pat Merloe is a senior associate and the director of electoral programs at the National Democratic Institute, where, since 1993, he has participated in programs in more than 60 countries. He has over 30 years of experience in promoting citizen empowerment, human rights and governmental accountability. “The Role of Citizens in Democracy”, https://www.demworks.org/Role-of-citizens-in-democracy April 12, OKTK)

These precepts are embodied in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and in modern constitutions the world over. They capture the foundation for the famous formulation that democratic government is “of the people, by the people and for the people.” In essence, they mean just that: governments belong to the people; governmental processes belong to the people; and elections belong to the people. It is that simple, and it is that complicated. There is no democracy without the engagement of citizens. Engagement is thus both a right and a responsibility of citizens in establishing, developing and sustaining democracy.

Good luck!

~OutKTheK

Edited by OutKTheK
  • Upvote 1

Government Interpretation: government means you and me

UD 05, UrbanDictionary, definition written by “weownnotthem” on January 12, 2008, https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=government

TOP DEFINITION government the government is you and me and you've all been trained to forget that by the ones pretending to be our masters!

Violation: the plan doesn’t use you or me
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

So the main card that talks about the USFG = the people framework argument is awful for many reasons. Howard is a high schooler. And while this can be funny when people say "high schoolers can't be trusted" without realizing that they, in fact, are high schoolers, it doesn't really work as a definition. Also, that was a Jeffersonian democracy, which isn't exactly what we are. We are a mixture of Jeffersonian/Jacksonian, etc democracies. So, I spent a long time trying to find a decent card written by a decent guy, and guess what? I found it. This is my first and only contribution to CX so far, so I hope it helps at least a bit, lol.

USFG = the people

Merloe 16 (Pat Merloe is a senior associate and the director of electoral programs at the National Democratic Institute, where, since 1993, he has participated in programs in more than 60 countries. He has over 30 years of experience in promoting citizen empowerment, human rights and governmental accountability. “The Role of Citizens in Democracy”, https://www.demworks.org/Role-of-citizens-in-democracy April 12, OKTK)

These precepts are embodied in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and in modern constitutions the world over. They capture the foundation for the famous formulation that democratic government is “of the people, by the people and for the people.” In essence, they mean just that: governments belong to the people; governmental processes belong to the people; and elections belong to the people. It is that simple, and it is that complicated. There is no democracy without the engagement of citizens. Engagement is thus both a right and a responsibility of citizens in establishing, developing and sustaining democracy.

Good luck!

~OutKTheK

I'm not sure if this is problematic or not, but at least for me, he participated in a lot of countries and whatnot, the previous line talks about "modern constitutions the world over" and is speaking generally what a "government" is, but he never actually says the "United States federal government", so I don't think it's a really great card.

I'm not sure if this is problematic or not, but at least for me, he participated in a lot of countries and whatnot, the previous line talks about "modern constitutions the world over" and is speaking generally what a "government" is, but he never actually says the "United States federal government", so I don't think it's a really great card.

I mean if you want to disagree that the USFG is a democracy, than that's fine. The fact that it talks about other governments too is still irrelevant, as what he's saying is America's government is very similar to other governments. He's right - our consitution and our system of government is used as a baseline for many modern governments. You can argue that it doesn't say specifically the "usfg", so it's a bad card, but that's probably a bad argument because the usfg is a democracy. Does that make sense? Anyway, no card that defines the USFG as the people is going to be winnable, persay, as we all know the usfg is literally the state, but it is a good enough interp that it lessens the probability of this being in-round abuse. I accompany this with a card that talks about how defining countries as purely mechanical governments excludes people, which links to the aff. Anyway, I just was tired of seeing a card written by a high schooler circulating in camp files.

I mean if you want to disagree that the USFG is a democracy, than that's fine. The fact that it talks about other governments too is still irrelevant, as what he's saying is America's government is very similar to other governments. He's right - our consitution and our system of government is used as a baseline for many modern governments. You can argue that it doesn't say specifically the "usfg", so it's a bad card, but that's probably a bad argument because the usfg is a democracy. Does that make sense? Anyway, no card that defines the USFG as the people is going to be winnable, persay, as we all know the usfg is literally the state, but it is a good enough interp that it lessens the probability of this being in-round abuse. I accompany this with a card that talks about how defining countries as purely mechanical governments excludes people, which links to the aff. Anyway, I just was tired of seeing a card written by a high schooler circulating in camp files.

I'm not sure if the card even says "United States," so I'm kind of at a loss of how you can say that USFG = people, and I don't think this argument is that bad.

Regardless of whether the United States is a democracy, you've made a card that claims "Democratic Government = The People," and if that's the interp that you want to read then go ahead. I just think that the card doesn't make the claim that you think it makes. I think even saying a Democratic Government = the People is a stretch because all this card really says is that "Democracy = the people".

I'm not really sure if the author says that America's government is similar to other governments because it says that "These precepts are embodied in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and in modern constitutions the world over." which doesn't really say anything of how our constitution is a model for other countries.

I'm not sure if the card even says "United States," so I'm kind of at a loss of how you can say that USFG = people, and I don't think this argument is that bad.

Regardless of whether the United States is a democracy, you've made a card that claims "Democratic Government = The People," and if that's the interp that you want to read then go ahead. I just think that the card doesn't make the claim that you think it makes. I think even saying a Democratic Government = the People is a stretch because all this card really says is that "Democracy = the people".

I'm not really sure if the author says that America's government is similar to other governments because it says that "These precepts are embodied in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and in modern constitutions the world over." which doesn't really say anything of how our constitution is a model for other countries.

I think it's an easy analytic to say our government, one of the first examples of a successful democracy, is a model for other democratic governments around the world. I don't think many people would disagree. The phrase "governments belong to the people" is indicative of the government literally being an extension of the people. "Democratic governments are of the people" literally means that governments are the people. It's just a fancy way of saying just that. Also, that's an Abe Lincoln quote. That is already an easy analytic for this talking about the USFG - why would they use a famous quote from a famous US president if they were talking about Australia?