000lazyboi

How to get good at an argument if I'm bad at reading

I genuinely think I must have ADHD or something like that -- I can't focus when reading books and it's incredibly hard for me to understand philosophical books and such. What sucks is that I'm really interested in both debate and philosophy, and I really want to get good at and understand a few Ks (Ks because I wasn't really ever taught how to debate policy, not sure how to cut a politics DA etc lol, plus Ks are more interesting to me).

How do y'all who dont like reading do it?

I'm decent at debate from a technical perspective, I can spread, etc., but I'm just not particularly good at any argument (and suck at reading). Can someone suggest anything please lol.

Edited by 000lazyboi
  • Upvote 1

For me, I needed to find a right time to read. For some reason, if it's during the morning/afternoon, k lit will make me fall asleep. Whereas if it's during 2AM, I can read through lit like nobody's buisness

If you're reading for understanding and not to cut cards, you could consider audio-books (or, for example, if you had a PDF, you could listen to an audio version until you heard something you want to cut, go to that part of the PDF, and just focus on reading that section).

If you just want an overview or something short about the topic, there are youtube videos out there for some theory. Similar to the response above, you can always have your computer read a word document/PDF file for you. If you don't have that option on your computer (try looking online: how to enable diction on [insert computer name] ), you can always go to google translate, translate from English to English, and paste the text so that the voice can help you focus better on the text itself.