radicalsubjectivity

most common affs this year?

context - i used to do policy at my school, but now I'm doing LD. i now have a novice team that is going to Harvard, and would love for them to do awesome to restart my school's policy team, but I can't help them all that much because I haven't been competing this year.

it would be awesome if someone could post like the top/most common 20/30 affs this year so we know where to focus our prep, thanks in advance!!

Traditional:

CTE

RTE

Nuclear Education

Energy

Soft Left:

Natives

Trans Bathroom

Militarism

Charter Schools

Sex Ed

Kritikal:

Agamben Study (Lewis)

Some Queer Affs

Some Ableism Affs

Some Neolib Affs, they are all the same p much

Baudrillard?

Afropess

This is heavily dependent on your circuit and common affs on your circuit. Rn the only k affs on our circuit are our Study aff and an Ableism one, but we have tons of CTE. You'll find the Lewis aff, which is really the only topic specific one (to my knowledge) labelled as an Agamben aff Berkeley sent out. GDS A team is really good with this aff. I hope this is at least a bit helpful for preliminary options.

Edited by OutKTheK

Natives

Trans bathrooms

STEM

CTE

Prisons

Right to Education

Militarism

Lewis/Study aff

Queerness

Ableism

IDEA

Desegregation

Agriculture Education

Computer Science

Vouchers

Title 1

Sex Ed

Charter Schools

Climate Stuff

A lot more small affs

The UTNIF put out an Agamben Studying Aff too if you want to take a look.

I'm sorry, my bad, it was UTNIF, lol. When you don't know where you based your own aff off of...rip me

Affirmatives that should lose to states and federalism and Affirmatives that should lose to topicality.

The most abusive thing is when the plan for CTE is "yeah, the plan is to give all the power to the states and just have the FG fund CTE, have fun on neg lol"

Edited by OutKTheK

The most abusive thing is when the plan for CTE is "yeah, the plan is to give all the power to the states and just have the FG fund CTE, have fun on neg lol"

That just feeds circumvention though. And also, funding planks on the States CP resolves the entirety of the aff if you can win that the states have a chance at funding the plan with taxes, weed, etc. Any solvency deficits they make on the States CP link to the aff, so they only have a perm and funding deficits, but the funding deficits are bad, especially with multi-plank CPs, and the permutation will always link to the net benefit, which can be PTX or Spending. 

Zero Tolerance/Title VI-Topicality, Piks with sexism or racism as impacts (<plan text> except in instances of harassment based on race or gender)

ELL-No impact because of alt causes, most any da, and an advantage cp

Model Minority- Framework, and answers on case, point out social changes are often kickstarted by govs or results of gov action. 

Hazelwood- Democracy is dumb, their evidence for impacts is usually shit, T (don't use iikonen, his paper says its topical, T-Not courts and most other education deffs work)

Standardized Testing- inharency is sh!t (Movements have made ground in removing tests), Bizz con, Competitiveness DA

Common Core- Fizz, case turns and states cp

I'm curious about this. Is this the paper you mean?

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/educol/documents/00001354.htm

Ya that's the one. 

Hazelwood affs usually directly affect extracurricular activities and the paper says "As long as education is understood to mean activities taking place in school or school-like institutions, the range of educational studies is reduced far too narrow." To most hazelwood teams worth their cent this can easily be spun as their author advocating for their aff to be topical. I also don't think anyone should run Ikonen, the definition is usually cut from footnotes and, the whole essay is way to coded to be used for topicality. 

-recommended interpretation (especially for title I)

Education means the classroom – anything outside of that isn’t “education”

Rocca 15 independent, conservative writer and blogger of fiction and nonfiction, most interested in the philosophy of American conservatism, has written and published several books (FJ, June 14, “An Ordinary American on the Culture of Today's America,” Lulu Press)

True “education” has to take place somewhere and that somewhere is in the classroom. That classroom can be defined variously. It can be a living room table, a grassy spot under the trees or, most commonly, a regular classroom with desks and chairs. For most of us, that classroom is probably in a public school

The term “education” is broad and somewhat vague, and those who preach the need of more “funding” would like to keep it that way because real education requires only two components: a student who “learns” and a teacher who “teaches.” The classroom posits a kind of relationship between the teacher and the student, and, like all relationships it requires not 100% but 200% commitment; each partner in the relationship must contribute 100% dedication to it. In what is called “education,” teaching requires 100% of the teacher’s effort, while learning requires 100% of the student’s effort. The present view is deliberately skewed to make it seem as though the total only requires 100% so that the demand for more than the teacher’s share (fictionally 50%) can be made with fake legitimacy.

That money which politicians and cronies demand sure as hell does not get to the classroom--the only place where true education takes place. It certainly does NOT take place in think tanks or in the offices of consultants who want to tell others what to do and think in order to get the grants and make their mark (as did Dewey). But they don’t acknowledge that what real education is because, for thousands of years, teaching and learning has taken place without them.

STEM is everywhere basically, it's just so easy to link and there is so much evidence on it. There are multiple types of STEM, some affs deal with the program itself and have environmental impacts that could be solved through STEM education. There's a space STEM aff which is pretty dumb and I've seen it a lot. A team from my school read a STEM Baudrillard aff for a few weeks, but it was pretty dumb. A women in STEM aff is pretty popular too. Some cyber security ish affs for STEM exist and are commonly used as contentions for STEM affs. I'm not sure of how local of a debate school you guys have, but usually mediocre majority white schools use STEM, or so I've seen. So if you know a school that generally, dare I say, boring, they're most likely running STEM, so that's definitely something you should prep out.

Sex ed is pretty popular too. It doesn't need too much explanation. Personally, I really like this college cp for it, as it just makes more sense. The cp is saying that since most sexual assults occur on a college campus, information about sex and sexual assault should occur in colleges instead of primary/ secondary schools. There is a version of this aff where it speaks about LGBTQQIA sex education, and I really haven't hit that, but I'm sure that wouldn't be too dificult to prep out, as it links pretty well to the next aff I've seen.

Trans bathrooms is an in between zone for critical debaters and more traditional debaters. I think while you're finding cards for the LGBTQQIA sex ed aff, you could mix some of those cards in with this aff, as they're both dealing with the same issues as in the LGBTQQIA community. I'd suggest steering away from critiquing the idea of trans bathrooms and instead maybe the impacts of the way they're implemented, in addition to a lot of topicality and other off case shit. I just feel like the judges wouldn't be too keen to the idea of critiquing something that is a problem. This is just a suggestion

Another sorta critical aff is deseg. I'm aware that it's a novice packet, but it's super easy to beef up and the solvency can be improved on the aff through suggesting magnet schools. I saw this aff a lot, not only with post novs, but at the top of the competition as well, as it's a really good aff regardless of it being a novice affirmative.

A visas program for international students is a pretty good affirmative, and depending on how big the tournaments are, it may be there. It's true that Trump has shit completely on other countries, but if someone is really up to date, then they could work their way around this and prepare a really nice aff. I'd suggest targeting the countries that Trump wants immigrants from, as they're primarily white ones. You shouldn't need to dig too deep to find evidence on this, and it's possible to make a really impressive off case argument surrounding around that.

My partner and I ran a respiration aff which is a bit like Afro pessimism. If you run into an aff like this, maybe a cap K and a shit ton of fwk. That was basically all we saw throughout the season, and you're already at an advantage at the beginning of the round, as it's really difficult as the affirmtive to prove why it's important to run an untopical aff. If you shit spread framework and stay consistent, then you shouldn't have too much trouble picking up against an aff like ours. Cap was usually ran as a time skew, but you could win on it if you do enough work on it. The basic premise is capitalism is a cause of racism, as slavery was the idea to capatilize no matter the cost of who's doing the labor.

School to prison pipeline is pretty much the same with the cap k, especially if the aff is centered around anti blackness. I'd suggest prepping these two affs together and using some cards from Afropess on this one.

I hope some of this helped, and good luck

Zero Tolerance/Title VI-Topicality, Piks with sexism or racism as impacts (<plan text> except in instances of harassment based on race or gender)

ELL-No impact because of alt causes, most any da, and an advantage cp

Model Minority- Framework, and answers on case, point out social changes are often kickstarted by govs or results of gov action. 

Hazelwood- Democracy is dumb, their evidence for impacts is usually shit, T (don't use iikonen, his paper says its topical, T-Not courts and most other education deffs work)

Standardized Testing- inharency is sh!t (Movements have made ground in removing tests), Bizz con, Competitiveness DA

Common Core- Fizz, case turns and states cp

I'll have you know our impact ev is actually really good and its topical except for courts. Hazelwood is the best Aff. 

its topical except for courts

How to run a courts aff: read Orbach and say they lose no ground and agent cps are bad. Or be northside and run the dumb version of our aff.

Also at Jones one of your teams ran the GAO 10 education excludes 3 as a counter-interpretation to iikonen. and then the judges rfd was why I shouldn't use iikonen and why I should have gone for T.  

I'll have you know our impact ev is actually really good

Alt causes to authoritarianism. Da wins because the impacts last longer than trumps presidency. Ya democracies fight less but checks and balances will prevent power war.

2 weeks ago our varsity:

Parth: Idk if David will make me run Hazelwood but I don't want to.

Kevin: Ya well democracy ain't got an impact so...

Hazelwood is the best Aff. 

Better Plan text: Have the USFG take over school newspaper to create media that advocates for space exploration and solutions to global warming.

Advantages are plan solves any extinction and global warming.