sfrpeterm

Effects and Extra T as an offcase

How many of you independently run FX or Extra T in the 1NC, and if so, how do you phrase it? In the other T thread about T in the 2NR, I saw a few things about "they're still FX/Extra T", but can it be run as an independent argument? 

I've just had a few judges in my circuit saying they would have voted on extra T against some affs because they truly think they are, so I just need some blocks so I can make the argument well.

I agree it's best argued on the violation of a different topicality argument, and structured as an even-if claim to their "we meet" argument. Although, I think there are some instances in which it's pretty clear that the effects- or extra-topicality of the Affirmative are independent of the part of the plan that is topical. For instance, an extra-topical Affirmative might expand funding for education and healthcare, or, an effects-topical Affirmative might establish a department/agency that then implements a topical plan, which is probably both effects- and extra-topical. If it's clear enough of a violation, you could try running something like:

1NC Extra-Topicality [---]

Our interpretation—the Affirmative must only increase federal funding and/or regulation of education—the Affirmative goes beyond the resolution by [---]—this is a reason to vote Negative because the resolution cannot be tested or justified by policies that are external to the scope of the topic—that’s anti-educational—and it’s unfair because we lose predictable ground.

1NC Effects Topicality

[---] Our interpretation—the Affirmative must directly increase federal funding and/or regulation of education—the Affirmative indirectly effects education reform by [---]—this is a reason to vote Negative because they have not affirmed the resolution on-face—it’s also unfair because they justify the plan through its mechanism, not its content.

Edited by TheSnowball
  • Upvote 2

I agree it's best argued on the violation of a different topicality argument, and structured as an even-if claim to their "we meet" argument. Although, I think there are some instances in which it's pretty clear that the effects- or extra-topicality of the Affirmative are independent of the part of the plan that is topical. For instance, an extra-topical Affirmative might expand funding for education and healthcare, or, an effects-topical Affirmative might establish a department/agency that then implements a topical plan, which is probably both effects- and extra-topical. If it's clear enough of a violation, you could try running something like:

1NC Extra-Topicality [---]

Our interpretation—the Affirmative must only increase federal funding and/or regulation of education—the Affirmative goes beyond the resolution by [---]—this is a reason to vote Negative because the resolution cannot be tested or justified by policies that are external to the scope of the topic—that’s anti-educational—and it’s unfair because we lose predictable ground.

1NC Effects Topicality

[---] Our interpretation—the Affirmative must directly increase federal funding and/or regulation of education—the Affirmative indirectly effects education reform by [---]—this is a reason to vote Negative because they have not affirmed the resolution on-face—it’s also unfair because they justify the plan through its mechanism, not its content.

that reply to a we meet argument is a great idea, thanks. I feel as if Topicality is a good argument, just not much is known about it so it isnt run too often well. Thanks for the help

that reply to a we meet argument is a great idea, thanks. I feel as if Topicality is a good argument, just not much is known about it so it isnt run too often well. Thanks for the help

Yeah, well-run T can be a useful tool.

I frame it as "the way they clarify the plan in the we-meet is evidence that the plan is effects/extra" and then make the theoretical objection there.

Another fun thing to do is argue that the "we meet" (especially if it's obviously false) means they don't meet their own counter-interpretation. If they drop they don't meet either the interpretation or their counter-interpretation, they'll probably lose absent a god-tier reasonability argument.

I usually run extra T or FX T along with a regular T shell, then when the 2AC drops the ball I blow it up in the 1nr.

I usually run extra T or FX T along with a regular T shell, then when the 2AC drops the ball I blow it up in the 1nr.

This is also viable, but I think it's a trap better set in the block because the 1AR will either drop it or spend ~10 seconds answering it.

• Upvote 1

how would we set it up in the block?

I frame it as "the way they clarify the plan in the we-meet is evidence that the plan is effects/extra" and then make the theoretical objection there.