JeanLucPicard

how much of my 2ac should I have blocked out?

I've noticed that I typically spend 4 minutes + on the case line by line because I've done it entirely off the flow. Is it a good practice to read pre-written blocks for most of the case line by line to save time, or will that run the risk of making my responses not contextualized to the 1NC?

You should have blocks to every argument you expect to see, and some blocks against arguments that you probably won't see. Also spending 4+ minutes on case in the 2AC isn't great because it means you'll probably undercover off case, especially when they run more than 3 or 4 off. Try to spend less than 2 minutes on case, depending on how much they cover it. If they hardly go on case, you can be fine with less than a minute on case. I don't know if you need to so much block out case stuff, because the 1nc on case will always different, but you should have blocks or at least memorized responses against common on case arguments. For example, if you were running right to education, you should have set responses to arguments like "funding not key". Your 2AC should be contextualized to the 1nc, but if a lot of 1ncs have the same arguments on case, you should block out those arguments. 

• Upvote 1

At camp, my lab leaders said it is up to you. If you want to block out common case args, go ahead. But try and make them concise. If you prefer to go off the flow, thats fine too. But you have to know your AFF very well to do this. I shifted to going off the flow because it saves time