NickDB8

Second Annual Online Debate Tournament

Furthermore, we have received another sponsorship from Exodus Debate Files. Exodus will be providing the following prizes for the tournament. 

• A $10 discount code for tournament winner
  • A $5 discount code for second place
  • 1st speaker gets a $5 discount code, 2nd speaker gets a $4 code, and so on to 5th speaker getting a $1 off code
  • Upvote 1

Welcome to the Second Annual Online Debate Tournament! This was a tradition started by the cross-x hero beck9696.

The Online Debate Tournament will be a double-elimination bracket tournament. The tournament will begin at a date to be decided depending on entries. The topic for the tournament is “Resolved: The United States federal government should substantially increase its funding and/or regulation of elementary and/or secondary education in the United States."

If you are interested in participating, please leave a reply to this post. Debaters, once eliminated, may be expected to judge future rounds. If you plan on debating or judging, please reply to this post, including your judging paradigm.

List of entries:

TheTrashDebater

ronniesportman

ZidaoWang

dante111

TheSnowball

GracchusBabeuf

[DROP]

TheRoadmapIs16Off

lawsonhudson

TheRealRadical1
jhirsch
Preeves22
Masterdebater3000
PailAmbrose
Jw4167
Virumstein
AQuackDebater
RolanD
jmeza111401
Bayernuard
Arrow1124
EthanDB8
nihilistkitten
lfpnub

Judges:

NickDB8

TheTrashDebater

ronniesportman

Lukrau

PailAmbrose

vmanAA738

TheSnowball

GracchusBabeuf

TheRoadmapIs16Off

CynicClinic

outlier

Nonegfiat

sfrpeterm

OutKTheK

Lukrau

lawsonhudson

DavidGriffith

AQuackDebater

Rules:

1. Timeframe - All participants in the Online Debate Tournament have ONE day to submit their speech document from the last sent speech. A failure to submit a speech document in the allotted time will result in a forfeiture UNLESS an agreement is reached by all relevant debaters/judges. For cross examination, there is 24 hours allowed between a speech and the first cross examination post. After the first cross examination post, there is 24 hours allowed for further questions. The next speech is due 24 hours after the first cross examination after the last speech.

2. Structure - All participants will follow traditional VDebate structure, where Word documents will be submitted.

3. Word Count - Constructive Speeches will have a 2,750 word limit, and Rebuttals will have a 1,625 word limit. Participants are advised to use the "Stats" function found under the "Debate" tab of Verbatim to count their words.

4. Judging, RFDs and Tabbing - Judges will give RFD’s and speaker points at the conclusion of the round. Unlike a normal debate, speaker points will be assessed based on the quality of the word document and the strategy that was deployed by the debater(s). Similar to a normal round, if any offensive rhetoric is used the judge will likely penalize the debater. The scale will be 0-30. Decisions regarding who won and speaker points are not to be disclosed, but rather submitted to me via PM on cross-x.com. Any comments after the round should be relevant to helping both sides improve and not "give away" who won.

5. Pairings - Round one will start with a bracket with initial seeds randomly decided. After a debater loses a round, they drop to the "down" bracket. After losing two debates, a debater is eliminated. Because the tournament is bracketed, there will be little tabbing involved. Any tab-related information will be closed until the end of the tournament, excluding postings.

6. Responsibilities - All pairings will be immediately announced, and it is the responsibility of the debater to look out for the announcement. If a debater fails to produce a speech document 24 hours after pairings have been announced, they will forfeit their round. This is strictly enforced.

Furthermore, we have received another sponsorship from Exodus Debate Files. Exodus will be providing the following prizes for the tournament. 

• A $10 discount code for tournament winner
  • A $5 discount code for second place
  • 1st speaker gets a $5 discount code, 2nd speaker gets a $4 code, and so on to 5th speaker getting a $1 off code

Thanks for the recognition! I apologize for my inactivity. I am glad that you have taken the initiative to continue the ODT. I have not been on this site for a while but I hope that the trolls form the Manhood Academy have left this site alone. They still have not posted our debate on their YouTube channel; I wonder why? :P Anyways, if you need any help with this tournament, feel free to let me know. Good luck to everyone competing. :)

• Upvote 2

Hello all,

The ODT has finally concluded (phew, took long enough!). I will begin assigning speaker awards soon, and getting coupons worked out with Exodus in the next few coming days. If you think you are eligible for an award, be sure to keep an eye on your cross-x PMs.

On another note, I would like to announce that I will not be hosting the ODT next year, however, would like to see it continue on. Some suggestions/changes/comments about how this year's was ran:

- It took way too long. People lost interest. It spanned across multiple nationals tournaments, into debate camps, and even into preseason work. With that in mind, maybe don't do a double-bracket tournament next time.

- Speaker awards are hard to tab in bracket format (I'll still give out the awards, however).

- Many participants went inactive between registration and the actual start of the tournament. This is likely due to the gap between the two dates.

- The "no public RFDs" thing was Kansas-inspired, and wasn't the best system to be honest.

In case someone feels like hosting another ODT, feel free to leave comments on this year's ODT below. I will acknowledge I could have ran the tournament better, and perhaps my faults will be corrected by someone else in a future year.

In closing, thanks to those who stuck through it all! It's been fun! :)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, nihilistkitten said:

Wait, are we sure this tournament's over? We still have me in the up bracket and Bernie+Holden in the down bracket, right?

Yes, however, the level of activity from other participants seems to be declining. As I said above, this has stretched several months - I'm sure most want to be done already.

Just now, NickDB8 said:

Yes, however, the level of activity from other participants seems to be declining. As I said above, this has stretched several months - I'm sure most want to be done already.

Fair enough. Thanks so much for running the tournament BTW!