ast02

DDI without my partner

Okay so my partner and I were planning on going to DDI this year and my coach knows the owners so it was no big deal. She decided to do this other thing and now I'll be the only one going. Now I don't know what to do because last time I went to debate camp like half of my debate team went to UTD and the other half went to UTNIF. Mind you I live pretty far from Dartmouth and I won't know anything. I am not even that good at debate like let's be real. I just need a lil encouragement that I'll find a good partner I won't be dragging down.. Should I still go? Also can anyone just generally describe what DDI was like from their perspective and not the websites "I love this camp yay!"

Usually a debate camp will put you in a lab of people of equivalent skill. From there, you'll probably mutually agree on a partnership.

That's my experience from 2 summers at Kansas and one at UTNIF.

• Upvote 1

My school sends people to DDI every year and it's supposed to be super helpful for all skill levels. Don't worry, even people who are "bad" go every year so if you really think you're that bad at debate there wouldn't be an issue.

Regardless of whether you think you're good or not, not going would mean that you'd miss out on some of the best policy debate instruction and interacting with some of the best policy debate minds in the nation. In addition to that, you get to meet people from all across the country, which is just the nature of a highly reputable debate camp. Not many people can get into DDI that easily, so I wouldn't take that for granted.

On the partner issue, I would suggest that you should try to get a feel for your lab the first couple of days and see who you would best work with. And even if you end up being worse than your partner, who cares? You would get exponentially better over the summer and start winning more, which is what really matters. And if it bothers you that much, an easy solution would be to never talk to them again after camp ends (kind of joking but not really).

Hope this helps

• Upvote 2