Lukrau

Debaters

Debaters, especially those who do policy debate, are typically the ones who I find most attempt to avoid insulting others. My theory is that debaters have been trained not to, as when they do not they avoid a k and win the debate.

• Upvote 1

Debaters, especially those who do policy debate, are typically the ones who I find most attempt to avoid insulting others. My theory is that debaters have been trained not to, as when they do not they avoid a k and win the debate.

or alternatively, people try to remain as inclusive as possible bc it's the right thing to do, regardless of a k

some people do it in good faith and seriously care about making debate inclusive, but 90% of the time when someone edits language in a card it's to avoid a link. it doesn't happen in debate forms where people aren't allowed to make you lose for saying things like "you guys"

Edited by Nonegfiat
  • Upvote 1

I don't think you need to necessarily create conflict between those who are inclusive because it's the right thing to do and those who are framed as doing it more cynically. I think that the mechanism of losing ballots because you're un-inclusive, or the discourse thereof can be important in bringing to people's attention things which are important. Very few people I would think truly are alright with themselves being seen as jerks but the nature of these modes of politics are such that it's possible not to know. I know I didn't think about any of these things before debate: privilege. 

Also, cynical inclusion may be better than nothing (but maybe it's not). 

• Upvote 2

This is not true. There are always exceptions. Good theory, include a concession to prevent over-generalization.

typically

Also to clarify to everyone the point is that it is a subconscious thing. Like for example they have debated so long they subconsciously avoid insulting anyone, because every time they do they have been subconsciously trained not to (hit a k and dropped)

Changes in behavior to get that W become actual changes in behavior.

Policy debate has a lot of work to do, but I would definitely say it's the most tolerant of the debate communities. 

Edited by Miro
  • Upvote 3