victorchen45678

When should I kick the alt and run the Kritik as an non-unique DA

Hello

So as the title suggests, I run kritiks. I know that the alternative is always the weakest part of the kritik and often time is vague. I have been in rounds where the judge voted my team down for going for the kritik in the 2NR, but my mentor also told me to never kick the alt. So under what situation should I kick the alt and let's say go for the link turn? 

Thank you

You should understand that for most kritiks, the alt is an essential part. Without it, most Ks are pretty much just non unique disads w/o any solvency, so that's a massive problem. In some cases and for some kritiks, it can be ok to kick the alt. (Cap and Security can both be used as solvency takeouts and case defense for example, and you can use charity cannibalism w/o an alt as solvency defense). For the most part, it is unstrategic to kick out of a k, especially if you're reading 1 off k. If you're reading the kritik and like 2-3 disadvantages and a counterplan, than you should be fine kicking the alt, using the kritik as case defense/impact turns (like the cap k), and going for a different offcase position. Consult your mentor if you are majorly confused about anything. I'm pretty sure you're from a great East Coast school (won't disclose where out of respect for your privacy), and your varsity is littered with strong k debaters. If you're confused about kritikal debate, ask any of them. Also, there's another post already on this site answering your question for the most part, so you should check that out.

• Upvote 1

Only if you're losing the alt but winning framing. Even if you kick the alt, but win that epistemology comes first, you can extend the K as a linear epistemology DA and win the framing

• Upvote 4

Only if you're losing the alt but winning framing

this -- going for the alt like a UQ CP makes the perm wayyy too easy.

i frequently kick the alt when going for neolib or psychoanalysis, but i go for a framework arg that assigns some unique value to the act of voting negative or excludes plan implementation (i.e. critiques of fiat/seeing like a state)

• Upvote 1

I'm not saying much that hasn't already been said, but maybe this'll be a useful breakdown.

In order to disprove the Affirmative, the Negative must identify a problem with the Affirmative and provide a solution.

The Kritik does this at two levels: material and ideological.

The material level might be seen in the alternative text. It works just like a CP and a DA: the plan participates in capitalist economics, that destroys the environment, Communist control is the solution.

The ideological level might be seen in the framework interpretation. It is different. It says the assumptions made when justifying the plan are flawed: the Affirmative assumes that capitalist ideology is a viable tool for weighing policies, capitalist principles justify exclusion and inequality, and the ideology of Marxism resolves these problems.

The Negative only needs to win one of these layers. You could win a capitalism K without reading any framework at all. You could win a security K without defending a different model of policy-making.

I'm of the opinion that the phrase "kicking the alternative" is misleading. You might be kicking out of the *material* dimension of the alternative, but you're still going to be defending that there exists a different and better way of thinking than the one exhibited by the Affirmative.

When people hear "kicking the alternative," they may assume the Negative has no way to solve their offense. In reality, it can be quite strategic to abandon practice in favor of theory. You just need offense and a way to solve that offense.