ronniesportman

A2 Disclosure Theory

I have seen a lot of people running disclosure theory in my circuit. I don't think my partner and I are going to disclose our Aff on the wiki, but we would be willing to tell our opponents what we are running before round. How do we get around that we should've disclosed on the wiki. 

P.S. We use paperless debate, so we have access to laptops

Disclose. You have access to the wiki, so you should use it. At the very least, put your advocacy on the wiki. Otherwise responses depend heavily on your aff. 

Disclosure bad thread: https://www.cross-x.com/topic/48178-case-disclosure-bad-theory/

Random arguments that could be effective (depends on your aff)

1. Not disclosing means that the academy (and debate community) won't see our aff coming and won't have time to prepare a way to neutralize it, which makes it more effective

A-This is much better for a k aff

2. Disclosure is bad because it makes debate unfair

A-Giant schools can prep super specific strategies against lots of small offs from small schools, which means that squads who already have lots of backfiles and prep stuff and coaching get an additional advantage over small squads, and small squads lose more against big squads

B-There is no one set way to disclose, so there will always be different qualities of disclosure which probably isn't great

C-The added burden of disclosure scares novices who are already scared and unsure about debate and then they quit

I-Please don't say this as an answer

D-Disclosure lets teams steal research that others have produced, which amounts to academic plagiarism and destroys the benefits of debate because it means that there arena new arguments, just old ones being reread and recycled. This leads to laziness and bad research practices and means that bad teams use arguments that they don't understand which probably makes bad debates.

E-Disclosure gives neg an unfair advantage, because killer specific negs that will win every time can be prepped against affs. The wiki is structured so that it's fairly certain what aff a team will run, but there are many different things they could run on neg. This means that neg has an unfair advantage and that's bad. Also it gives neg "infinite prep time" (not a real thing, but a common argument), which rigs debate further in neg's direction, because they already have the block and they get to get rid of arguments that they don't like.

3. (If you're reading debate bad) Neg is right, not disclosing does hurt debate which is great for the aff and aids solvency.

4. Read Grimm 7

Nietzsche's Theory of Knowledge pg. 30-33.

Overall, disclosure is probably good and you should disclose the aff. 

• Upvote 6

On 1/2/2018 at 9:45 PM, BatailleLives said:

Disclose. You have access to the wiki, so you should use it. At the very least, put your advocacy on the wiki. Otherwise responses depend heavily on your aff. 

Disclosure bad thread: https://www.cross-x.com/topic/48178-case-disclosure-bad-theory/

Random arguments that could be effective (depends on your aff)

1. Not disclosing means that the academy (and debate community) won't see our aff coming and won't have time to prepare a way to neutralize it, which makes it more effective

A-This is much better for a k aff

2. Disclosure is bad because it makes debate unfair

A-Giant schools can prep super specific strategies against lots of small offs from small schools, which means that squads who already have lots of backfiles and prep stuff and coaching get an additional advantage over small squads, and small squads lose more against big squads

B-There is no one set way to disclose, so there will always be different qualities of disclosure which probably isn't great

C-The added burden of disclosure scares novices who are already scared and unsure about debate and then they quit

I-Please don't say this as an answer

D-Disclosure lets teams steal research that others have produced, which amounts to academic plagiarism and destroys the benefits of debate because it means that there arena new arguments, just old ones being reread and recycled. This leads to laziness and bad research practices and means that bad teams use arguments that they don't understand which probably makes bad debates.

E-Disclosure gives neg an unfair advantage, because killer specific negs that will win every time can be prepped against affs. The wiki is structured so that it's fairly certain what aff a team will run, but there are many different things they could run on neg. This means that neg has an unfair advantage and that's bad. Also it gives neg "infinite prep time" (not a real thing, but a common argument), which rigs debate further in neg's direction, because they already have the block and they get to get rid of arguments that they don't like.

3. (If you're reading debate bad) Neg is right, not disclosing does hurt debate which is great for the aff and aids solvency.

4. Read Grimm 7

Nietzsche's Theory of Knowledge pg. 30-33.

Overall, disclosure is probably good and you should disclose the aff. 

I 100% agree that you should disclose and I'll outline some answers to expect:

1A. This works unless they argue that by debating it in front of at least 3 other people at least 3 times per competition, you're blowing your own secret

2A. (not my answer, I saw someone else say this) Big schools have so many teams at tournaments that they'll know what you're running by round 3. The question is more if you want to know what they're running. The only way to solve is to ban large teams.

2B. That's all good and well but they're planning on not disclosing at all. Different types of disclosing and disclosing not as well are not the same as having no trace of your arg anywhere.

2C. Why would letting other teams know what you're running make you want to quit? How many people have quit because of that? So then would they want to have no idea what other teams are running and walk in blind? I think being 100% clueless and knowing anyone could run absolutely anything on you would scare them away more.

2D. Having lazy debaters is inevitable with or without a disclosure. By this logic, teams shouldn't file share in round because their opponents may take their evidence. It's really hard to find all the cards you need from another team unless you're running the same argument. If a team ever does get that lazy and never cut new cards, their evidence will become obsolete as other teams find new ways to disprove that argument. Laziness will never bear fruit so they'll stop being lazy.

2E. It doesn't matter how specific a neg is. You should be ready for it. The aff has infinite prep, so use it. Make your aff solid. You shouldn't be lazy and hope the negs aren't specific enough. You chose the aff, so you should be ready to answer any arguments made against them.  This arg supports the laziness that is criticized by point 2D.

3. I don't have any cards, mostly because I don't know what this aff would advocate for (maybe the deconstruction of debate?) but there are a lot of debate good cards about making social change and micropolitics.

4. I haven't read that so I can't answer

Overall, I agree. Just disclose. You'll never win that not disclosing gives the negative ground or helps them so you'll be pushed to the defensive arguments of not disclosing doesn't hurt them too badly, which you'll likely lose in the face of a team that has a large lit base.

Edit: Grammar and spelling

Edited by PrincessAisha