jmc_va

What's up in Virginia?

I coached Kempsville High School in Virginia Beach, Virginia, for a goodly while in the '90s and then again from 2006 to 2011 (I think? It may have been 2005 to 2010). I was feeling more than a few pangs of debate nostalgia today and was wondering what's up in the Tidewater Debate League and the rest of Virginia. My job doesn't allow me enough time off to travel the circuit like I used to, and I don't think I could ever be happy as a local-tournaments-only coach, but if a program in Virginia needs help with briefs or theory, I might be able to help. I lean HEAVILY towards the kritikal end of the spectrum. So, you know, fair warning.

Edited by jmc_va

My partner and I just won the 1-4A state tournament in April, and I don't think there are any policy teams from Virginia Beach anymore, or the Tidewater region. We talked with a judge from Tabb High School and he said that almost nobody does policy debate in his area and they certainly aren't competitive. I'd love to talk about kritikal arguments with you if you have the chance.

That's sad to hear about Virginia Beach and the Tidewater area, but not unexpected. There were very few active policy programs there when I was coaching. Congratulations on winning states. Did you have any specific questions about kritikal theory or specific arguments you needed help with? My cup of tea leans towards the Lacan / Baudrillard /  Badiou / Foucault end of the spectrum, but kritikal theory is kritikal theory, regardless of the individual arg.

How is NoVA doing?

Broad Run’s program is all but gone from the national circuit. They might still do local stuff, but I’m not sure since I didn’t go to any WACFL this year. TJ however is making some noise on the circuit. I know there’s at least one good team from woodgrove, and a few other local programs in the area.

Edited by Nonegfiat

Broad Run’s program is all but gone from the national circuit. They might still do local stuff, but I’m not sure since I didn’t go to any WACFL this year. TJ however is making some noise on the circuit. I know there’s at least one good team from woodgrove, and a few other local programs in the area.

Broad Run's varsity teams graduated, Thomas Jefferson is the powerhouse school in the area, and Oakton, Chantilly, and Woodgrove (my school) have some pretty good programs. Supposedly the quality of WACFL has gone down in the past few years, but there are a few solid teams that are looking to qualify to the toc next year.