ronniesportman

What does a fully prepped out K Aff file look like

So I'm a bit new to policy debate and my partner and I are thinking of running a Thera poetry (Bifo Semiocap) K aff that we have been working on. We have the shell done, but what does the block file look like. What extensions do we need, what do we need to prep to hit? I think the biggest worry is we don't know what framework args we are going to hit and how to respond to them. Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated! :smack:

Here are some of the args you should probably prep out.

- Framework: Go through a generic FW file from camp to find all the potential arguments you could hit, and make individual answers to each of them. Also always try to condense your arguments to the shortest lengths. It helps when your 2AC is cramped on time and you want to be as efficient as possible.

- Cap: you are always going to hit this so make sure you have a full pre-written 2AC 

- Fem 

- Afro-pes 

- Settlerism  

- Psycho 

- Ballots 

-And every other K that you might link to. 

as jswegthefuture says, you should have a "yolo" 2AC for other broad theories: like a misc pomo file. 

As for Tips: just make sure that you understand your aff's method well enough so you can be able to answer arguments you didn't/couldn't prep for. 

• Upvote 1

any tips on answering cede the political?

Our method doesn't abandon the political, but critically engages it--we augment progressive politics.

Brown, 05 (Edgework: Critical Essays on Knowledge and Politics, Wendy, Professor of Poli Sci, UC Berkeley).

On the one hand, critical theory cannot let itself be bound by political exigency; indeed, it has something of an obligation to refuse such exigency. While there are always decisive choices to be made in the political realm (whom to vote for, what policies to support or oppose, what action to take or defer), these very delimitations of choice are often themselves the material of critical theory. Here we might remind ourselves that prying apart immediate political constraints from intellectual ones is one path to being "governed a little less" in Foucault's sense. Yet allowing thinking its wildness beyond the immediate in order to reset the possibilities of the immediate is also how this degoverning rearticulates critical theory and politics after disarticulating them; critical theory comes back to politics offering a different sense of the times and a different sense of time. It is also important to remember that the "immediate choices" are just that and often last no longer than a political season (exemplified by the fact that the political conundrums with which this essay opened will be dated if not forgotten by the time this book is published). Nor is the argument convincing that critical theory threatens the possibility of holding back the political dark. It is difficult to name a single instance in which critical theory has killed off a progressive political project. Critical theory is not what makes progressive political projects fail; at worst it might give them bad conscience, at best it renews their imaginative reach and vigor.

• Upvote 1

Our method doesn't abandon the political, but critically engages it--we augment progressive politics.

Brown, 05 (Edgework: Critical Essays on Knowledge and Politics, Wendy, Professor of Poli Sci, UC Berkeley).

On the one hand, critical theory cannot let itself be bound by political exigency; indeed, it has something of an obligation to refuse such exigency. While there are always decisive choices to be made in the political realm (whom to vote for, what policies to support or oppose, what action to take or defer), these very delimitations of choice are often themselves the material of critical theory. Here we might remind ourselves that prying apart immediate political constraints from intellectual ones is one path to being "governed a little less" in Foucault's sense. Yet allowing thinking its wildness beyond the immediate in order to reset the possibilities of the immediate is also how this degoverning rearticulates critical theory and politics after disarticulating them; critical theory comes back to politics offering a different sense of the times and a different sense of time. It is also important to remember that the "immediate choices" are just that and often last no longer than a political season (exemplified by the fact that the political conundrums with which this essay opened will be dated if not forgotten by the time this book is published). Nor is the argument convincing that critical theory threatens the possibility of holding back the political dark. It is difficult to name a single instance in which critical theory has killed off a progressive political project. Critical theory is not what makes progressive political projects fail; at worst it might give them bad conscience, at best it renews their imaginative reach and vigor.

So the alt for this k is poetry about postfuturism would I still be able to use this? Since we advocate for interpassivity, aren’t we ceding the political

So the alt for this k is poetry about postfuturism would I still be able to use this? Since we advocate for interpassivity, aren’t we ceding the political

I mean, I think so. I don't really know that much about post-futurist poetry, but you can claim that progressive politics need to take on a post-futurist imagination in order to be successful. So, I guess use this if you can't find something better.

For this, where can I find cards that say that the political is already ceded

You don't need them - Just talk about Trump, the fact that our government has become super right-wing, international trade organizations, status quo leftist disengagement from politics, etc.

• Upvote 1

There's a couple problems I see with saying that you don't cede the political because you still engage politics.

First, if you say that you're not incompatible with progressive reform, it does kind of justify the permutation.

Second, if you're not a challenge to status quo politics, it seems like your alternative might not solve as well.

So it might be better to go the route Nick is talking about and say "look, politics are already broken, being radically passive is the only justifiable way to resolve existing tensions."

Edited by TheSnowball
  • Upvote 1

There's a couple problems I see with saying that you don't cede the political because you still engage politics.

First, if you say that you're not incompatible with progressive reform, it does kind of justify the permutation.

Second, if you're not a challenge to status quo politics, it seems like your alternative might not solve as well.

So it might be better to go the route Nick is talking about and say "look, politics are already broken, being radically passive is the only justifiable way to resolve existing tensions."

Couldn't they answer this with a card saying that engaging in politics is key to reclaim the political, or that the fact that there are dems in congress means political is not all the way ceded?

• Upvote 1

Hey Lukas, 

This is Ron funny to meet you on cross x.com. I think that to the point that engaging politics is key to reclaim the political is a weak arg because then that makes our whole k a disad to cede the political because the k is on Bifo's interp on semiocapitalism which essentially says that politics are a disaster and it the disaster is irreversible.

For everyone,

For more information on the K itself I would highly suggest looking at St. Vincent de Paul's Thera poetry aff, that is the foundation for what I'm building.  https://hspolicy.debatecoaches.org/St+Vincent+de+Paul/Page-Birkenstock+Aff

Edited by ronniesportman
  • Upvote 1

Honestly, I think the better way to phrase the "political already ceded" argument is as "uniqueness overwhelms the link." If politics were going to be abandoned, it wouldn't be because of one instance of interpassivity. Either existing loss is sufficient to cause the impact or the alternative won't surpass the brink, so to speak.

• Upvote 2

uh no you def are ceding the political lol. read the Bifo stuff about activism being dead and like how attempts for change within the political augment the system and shit. Cut some exhaustion cards for the 2AC about how you starve they dying system instead of giving it the activism it craves

• Upvote 1

For more information on the K itself I would highly suggest looking at St. Vincent de Paul's Thera poetry aff, that is the foundation for what I'm building.  https://hspolicy.debatecoaches.org/St+Vincent+de+Paul/Page-Birkenstock+Aff

i hate these tags. i think this is a good reading of bifo though. so you need to be clear about how your mode of beauty without meaning and stuff exhausts the system, and how it's "the last radical act left" (classic Bifo phrase). for Bifo, the era of radicalism and resistane is dead - no more heroes. there is only technomaya colonization-goog cybertime or whatever made up sci fi words he uses in his new book. your thesis is that there is no more meaning, no more activism, there is only radical passivity and exhaustion. for 2AC blocks you wanna direct every flow back to this thesis - resistance is dead, there is only passivity now. you win that thesis, 90% of flows disappear. 

For framework specifically, you weigh the aff vs framework and talk about their shell is just an imposition of meaning, "education" is just cognitive cap, "fairness" is just the desire to make debate productive and search for modes of meaning (cognitive cap), shit like that.

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys so much. If I may, for people who are familiar with the k, what if they say smth like since I spread, K links to off because spreading is used for acceleration of knowledge 

Thanks guys so much. If I may, for people who are familiar with the k, what if they say smth like since I spread, K links to off because spreading is used for acceleration of knowledge 

not too well-versed in bifo or anything related to this aff, tbh, but you could say that spreading ruins knowledge and communication skills - if you're reading a "productivity bad" type argument, it's probably a solid route, ie, "we spread not to win the round, but rather its a performance of us destroying the ability to rationally comprehend what we're saying and make effective communication impossible"

I don't think that we are able to say that because the K is like Baudi saying that speed is bad, but we spread the k 

Ya but like "speed" in this context just means speed in the sense of the acceleration of liberalism, not literal speed

• Upvote 1