Kirthi

DDI vs. UTNIF vs. Berkeley Debate Camps

Hi, I went to UTNIF last year and it really boosted my debte career. Next year I will be a junior and aiming for Nats and going to the TOC. Which debate camps do you guys recommend? 

Edited by Kirthi

ddi - kent denver kk's rise to stardom can be entirely attributed to jakob kim's improvement under the guidance of jason sigalos and john turner

don't feel that you need to go to camp to get better! i haven't gone since freshman year, but giving practice speeches and watching rounds at home made me far better than camp ever did. plus, there are much better things to do during the summer like hanging out with family/friends, getting a job, etc. - devoting your vacation to debate seems a bit wasteful, but that's just my opinion

Edited by jswegthefuture
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

kent denver kk

They're in Colorado like I am, and it's really funny, because Colorado has a few random teams that have fun and just go to the local tournaments, and then there's Kent Denver with constant travel and multiple bids. I forget if they go to my state quals tournament or if it's the nat quals one, but they're going to obliterate us if we hit them there.

on that note cal has bred many successful teams such as McQueen RR, West AB, Rowland Hall PS, West LN, Nevada Union AM, Heritage Hall VS plus several more under the guidance of people like Jonah Feldman, Jason Russell, and Michael Wimsatt. Plus Calum Matheson and Q Robinson i believe will be full time lab leaders for 7 week this summer along with the rest of the cal team either RAing or also being lab leaders.

ddi - kent denver kk's rise to stardom can be entirely attributed to jakob kim's improvement under the guidance of jason sigalos and john turner

don't feel that you need to go to camp to get better! i haven't gone since freshman year, but giving practice speeches and watching rounds at home made me far better than camp ever did. plus, there are much better things to do during the summer like hanging out with family/friends, getting a job, etc. - devoting your vacation to debate seems a bit wasteful, but that's just my opinion

He's still bad

• Upvote 6

Is there a difference between UTNIF Session 1 and 2? I have a friend who told me Session 2 is better but can't confirm since he never went to Session 1.

Is there a difference between UTNIF Session 1 and 2? I have a friend who told me Session 2 is better but can't confirm since he never went to Session 1.

I’ve heard from people that went to session 2 last year that session 1 was probably better due to the teaching and people there

The curriculum is the same. Instructors may be different. Session 2 camp tournament is probably harder because the 6week survivors have been there for longer.

i went to session 2 and it had significantly more campers than session 1. session 2 is more competitive and i believe there was a small difference in instructors. session 1 + 2 produce different files as well, but the curriculum (lectures n stuff) is largely the same.