Nonegfiat

flowing and writing speech docs

Say you're the 2N. During the 2AC, do you flow for the entire speech and only start making the doc during cross and prep?

Or, if you're the 2A, do you flow the whole 1NC or get straight to finding the cards you know you'll need for the 2AC?

In general, how much time do you spend flowing versus making the speech doc? How long does it typically take for you to compose a 2AC or 2NC doc?

How many of your analyts are typically prewritten vs written in the round?

I ask because no one ever really taught me the basic procedures of flowing and such, so I've kind of taught myself, and I feel like that's led me to allow some bad habits to fester over time.

So for you debaters who have your shit together, what does your time allocation look like while listening to a speech/running prep? Does it take a lot of discipline to develop good habits in this area?

Maybe...

During speech:

-flow all arguments

-write out any direct answers next to theirs

-compile most/all blocks in speech doc

-if you have spare time, read their cards

During CX:

-write any arguments based on CX clarifications such as "no internal link--their evidence is about public confidence, not interdependence--that was CX" or adding conditionality bad when they specify

-helping your partner with questions as needed

-finalizing and sorting speech doc as needed

During Prep:

-read their evidence and compare it to yours

-write out any other analysis

-talk with your partner such as for splitting the block or consulting them

Edited by TheSnowball
  • Upvote 2

That was really helpful btw. So you mention writing direct answers next to theirs on the flow, would you do that and then proceed to find that block in your files or keep flowing the speech and just writing your answers next to theirs? Also, when I'm 1NC, should I flow out my off-case, like all the cards for a DA that I plan on running or should I just put like the Title( i.e. Politics DA) since I'm aware of the cards in the 1NC for it?

That was really helpful btw. So you mention writing direct answers next to theirs on the flow, would you do that and then proceed to find that block in your files or keep flowing the speech and just writing your answers next to theirs? Also, when I'm 1NC, should I flow out my off-case, like all the cards for a DA that I plan on running or should I just put like the Title( i.e. Politics DA) since I'm aware of the cards in the 1NC for it?

As far as direct responses, I think I'd prioritize those above blocks themselves. So, when the 2A says "perm do both" I might write first the symbol that shows I'm reading something off my computer and then after that I'd paste "2NC--AT PDB" into the speech doc. Then they "no link." I write that I'm starting the link debate there and that I have to read something from the speech doc. Then I paste in the 2NC link explanation. Then I write a specific answer to their "no link." And so on.

As far as flowing things you already know, you can pretty much skip that. It's nice to pre-flow, but it's not a necessity. For the 1NC, you could just make a sheet of paper for each off-case. You probably want to flow out the case arguments you're making as well as anything analytical you want to say on the case. Same goes for the 2A flowing the 1NC. I'm going to read "2AC--States CP" regardless of what the 1NC states CP looks like. I'd only flow the 1NC case arguments because those I do need to respond to directly.

Obviously, everyone flows differently. Just sharing how I might do it.

• Upvote 1

I am a 2A so I might do some things different if I was the 2N As the 2A ideally during pre-round prep I will have most of my 2AC done atleast in terms of offcase position but if not while they are reading off case positions I will start putting together my blocks/frontlines. Depending how fast I finish that I may peak ahead to the case cards and start trying to find cards on arguments I will need and then when they get to case I stop putting together cards and just strictly flow because they could easily have analytical arguments that aren't in the doc. If they read cards on case I usually use that time to follow along and try to write down responses and in cross-x I will finalize any arguments I need to write down or cards I need to put in the doc. In terms of flowing I only flow the 1NC's case arguments as the real debate on DA's/CP's/K's don't start in till the 2AC.

Source: Give decent stand up 2AC's

I think that you should flow the entire debate, you don't know exactly what you are going to say and depending on your computer to reference earlier card slows you down (or me at least). 

In general, how much time do you spend flowing versus making the speech doc? How long does it typically take for you to compose a 2AC or 2NC doc?

I don't make it a specific time to make, I think that you should organize your files in such a way that you can esily find the AFF and the Neg files (I seperate them into AFF and Neg compilations to make offcase easier and open less/have better scroll economy. Means I don't have to scroll to the bottom of a doc wasting 20 seconds when I can just open the Aff files for the 2NC or the Neg files for the block. For me it takes about 20 seconds per postion but again setting limits will just increase stress. Create individual docs for each offcase position you like, write some overviews and organize files well, like pervious people have showed how. Thats all you need to do and then just find each one and use verbatium to tilda (~) it into a speech doc. Its a verbatium trick that you should look into to make making your speech doc faster. 

How many of your analyts are typically prewritten vs written in the round?

I write specific analytics during the round right next to their arguments, and I have most theory memorized that I only write down to go faster if I think it might be in the 2NR (for both the aff and the neg as I am 1A and 2N). Things like overviews you should write before the round and you should understand your offcase neough that you could give me a summary wthout needing anythings else. I probably should still write your analytics in after round but I don't do that sadly.

I flow every card that they say outloud, then I go back to my computer to open files. My computer takes some time doing this so I just continue to flow (I am on a spreading circuit with not parent judges). I am good at summarizing their tag so even if its long I write it faster then they can say. I don't automatically depend on the speech doc so it allows me to be moving the mouse with my left hand nad flow with my right. I make a speech doc then tilda in specific cards that I will need for my extentions BUT YOU CANNOT MISS THINGS ON THE FLOW. Even with 5 minutes of prep the neg has the easiest way to use it, being that the 1NR doesn't need it and neitehr does the 1NC. Using 3 minutes to even 4 minutes is fine because all the prep in the round is yours. With 8 minutes you would have plenty of time to create your doc so don't sacrifice flowing just to use less prep. If you miss an arguement because you didn't flow it thats a massive problem, if you miss it because you didn't have cards on it then think of some things to say during your speech and don't miss it.

So you mention writing direct answers next to theirs on the flow, would you do that and then proceed to find that block in your files or keep flowing the speech and just writing your answers next to theirs?

I keep flowing the speech and writing my answers next to theirs, in order of importantance I go Flowing their arguments>Your specific analytics>getting the speech doc ready. The same reasoning as earlier when I talked about the amount of prep you have means that I have enough time to get the speech doc even with 5 minues of prep cause you (as the 2N) will be the only person that should be using prep on the Neg side.

Also, when I'm 1NC, should I flow out my off-case, like all the cards for a DA that I plan on running or should I just put like the Title( i.e. Politics DA) since I'm aware of the cards in the 1NC for it?

I wouldn't even preflow unless you really know what you are going to sya in the 2NR. Before the round/asap after selecting what the 1NC should be then you should have an idea what the 1NR should be. I like getting my partner to go for offcase offensive, like DAs or Ks to create more offense for the 1AR with less prep. Creating new impacts in the 1NR is really powerful becuase the 1AR doesn't have enough time to read impact defense (although if they read impact turns then you have to defend against in the 2NR, maybe even reading cards if its a good turn). Just flow the arguements that you are going ot get to in the 1NR as backflowing that much would be bad, or even just have your partner flow for you. Flowing the cards doesn't do a lot unless your unprepared as you should have an overview that references all of the authors anyway.

I disagree with Solax as the real debate starts the instant either side starts reading a card. When you say "no alt solvency" its very helpful to say that their _____-(author) card doesn't actually say this would solve or their ______ card points out some problems in the status quo but still overall resolves that capitalism is good. Its very helpful to do that and alt tabbing to their cards for the author takes too long. What are you doing during that time? Just avoiding using prep when you might lose, even if you lose 1 out of every 25 rounds because of some problem from not flowing why would you take that risk when you are just being lazy (could be applied to me not writing down analytics in post round but shhhhhhhhhh).

The Snowball will correct anything that he thinks is wrong but that's my style of debate answering all questions on this thread. I agree with what he says though in practice maybe some minute things might be changed. Overall practice flowing and spreading at the same time by having a practice debate with your partner on your aff ie read 1AC, then create 1NC, and then read 2AC to it etc etc. It helps cause you have to debate both sides and forces both sides to flow with everybody practicing their speeches. Redos are also good but require a good flow from the beginning of the debate.

Edited by Shield9

I disagree with Solax as the real debate starts the instant either side starts reading a card. When you say "no alt solvency" its very helpful to say that their _____-(author) card doesn't actually say this would solve or their ______ card points out some problems in the status quo but still overall resolves that capitalism is good. Its very helpful to do that and alt tabbing to their cards for the author takes too long. What are you doing during that time? Just avoiding using prep when you might lose, even if you lose 1 out of every 25 rounds because of some problem from not flowing why would you take that risk when you are just being lazy (could be applied to me not writing down analytics in post round but shhhhhhhhhh).

I never said that the debate starts the instant other side reads a card, I said that in terms of offcase position the debate doesn't really start in till the 2AC because that is the first time you are actually answering the offcase. In terms of 2AC answers to offense you don't do a lot of card comparison in till the block/1ar.

I'm saying that the real debate starts when they read a card in the 1NC, it hurts you to not know the position  throughout the debate so forcing yourself to write it down prevents you from forgetting it. You can start card comparison whenever, the earlier is better. The 2AC as an opportunity to do warrant extentions that can answer several postions instead of just saying the card tag and author doing more work helps the 1AR and incrases your chance of winning.

I'm saying that the real debate starts when they read a card in the 1NC, it hurts you to not know the position  throughout the debate so forcing yourself to write it down prevents you from forgetting it. You can start card comparison whenever, the earlier is better. The 2AC as an opportunity to do warrant extentions that can answer several postions instead of just saying the card tag and author doing more work helps the 1AR and incrases your chance of winning.

You should know the positions but as a 2A it is unfeasible to flow every card the 1NC reads and still have enough time to prep out responses to analytics and case arguments. Doing warrant comparison in the 2AC on case positions is ok but just doesn't make sense on offcase. The goal as the 2A is to get as many arguments on each flow as possible.

I entirely disagree with oyu. I don't know why your flowing is so slow but I can flow faster than anyone on my circuit can read. There is only so many cards they will read, and you should have blocks to most things/ find it on open ev (download all of open ev. Then have answers to blank DAs, CPs, and Ks that are blank.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I entirely disagree with oyu. I don't know why your flowing is so slow but I can flow faster than anyone on my circuit can read. There is only so many cards they will read, and you should have blocks to most things/ find it on open ev (download all of open ev. Then have answers to blank DAs, CPs, and Ks that are blank.

Maybe NDT-CEDA is a bit different from your highschool circuit but spending time flowing offcase position is just a waste of time as the 2A, the cards won't change and your 2AC shouldn't be attacking every single card they read on a DA that debating comes in the 1ar/2ar. Does your midterms answers change if you flowed the midterms DA?

• Upvote 2

I like to reference the authors of their card while still on my speech doc without alt tabbing then finding the author on their 1NC Author (in the 1ar I reference contrasting authors) that way I can save time and make good speeches. If people don't do that then yea don't flow I guess but thats me