mutd

Good 1NC and 2ac strats

What's the best way to frame a 1NC? How long should I spend on case?

For 2ac, how should I effectively respond to DA's K's, and CP's? I'm running a prisons aff. How should I attack an alt well

Theres no real answer for how you should always structure a 1NC bc itll vary round to round depending on your opponents, what aff theyre reading, who the judges are, and what you're comfortable with. But for case i would say that you always want to attack their solvency and at the very least have impact D on every advantage

I like to spend about 3 minutes of the 1NC on case and about a minute (there are exceptions like topicality) per off-case. For an Affirmative with solvency and 2 advantages, that'd be 5 off and a minute per case flow.

Think through the major Affirmative areas on the topic and what you want to run.

Have a few very well-prepared Ks, DAs, CPs, and T violations as generics.

Have specific strategies for the biggest Affirmatives on the topic as well as where you debate.

In the 2AC, you should be prepared to answer argument in OpenEvidence case negatives because people are likely to run those. Have extensive case blocks and at least a block for every type of CP (consult, process, actor, etc.) K (discourse, ontological, epistemological, etc.) DA (trade-off, federalism, politics, spending, etc.) and T violation (for your Affirmative, you need to focus on the fact that you reform prisons, not schools, and figure out what kind of funding/regulation you are--it also helps to have a basic counter-interpretation for every word of the resolutions, reasons you meet it, and reasons why it's good).

You should think through how people are likely to respond when they hear your 1AC.

You should make a very strong block to every 1NC position you hit after the round.

You should have at least one 2AC add-on advantage.

You should practice assembling a 2AC and making hyper-efficient case blocks.

You should read relevant literature about your Affirmative.

You should prepare blocks against some common time-skew arguments people run like fiat double-bind without a card or ASPEC.

You should have stock blocks explaining a 2AC framework against a K or reasonability on T.

You should have a short 2AC conditionality bad shell and a short 1AR extension of it.

There's a correlation between relevance and predictability: the better an argument is against your Affirmative is, the more predictable and "obvious" it will be. So focus first on the obvious because if you didn't see it coming, it probably doesn't do a very good job at proving the plan is bad.

Good luck.