1offframework

Reading a K as DA/CP combo

I live in Colorado so all the judges are dinosaurs that don't like when you read K's but I was brainstorming with my coach and we were thinking of reading a K as both a DA and CP. The link and impacts would be the Da. And the alt woould be a CP. I would appreciate any feedback on this idea

For some Ks (like the Cap K and Statism K), you could definitely reframe it as a DA and a CP, but it would probably require some heavy changes.

I've seen teams run Ks as DAs, and they always run into 2 main issues

1. There is no uniqueness.

2. It's harder to weigh impacts because the K is no longer a priori

You can resolve this by justifying why uniqueness doesn't matter (even if we already live under capitalism, the aff strengthens it, and that's bad), and by doing impact calc which prioritizes structural violence over everything else.

You might also encounter some issues with claims of abusive fiat (it's difficult to justify fiating a change in mindset, especially to older judges who think the neg shouldn't get fiat at all). The easiest way to fix this is to change the alt entirely (for a statism k, you might change the alt to a private donation CP)

So to summarize, you definitely can make Ks into DAs and CPs, but it would likely require some heavy reframing and a different, more policy-focused alt.

Hope this helps!

• Upvote 1

No the problem isn't the uniqueness as the CP would give the DA uniqueness, the problem is the perm.  If they win the plan is good, the judge will probably vote on the perm.  If I were using this straw I would really work on the perm blocks, because you need an actual reason the perm links to the DA, or that the perm fails etc.

• Upvote 1

One argument I've considered writing is kind of a libertarianism K - it's a Constitution DA (federal government has no Constitutional authority to be involved in education, the Constitution must be followed) and a CP (the federal government should eliminate its funding and regulation of elementary and secondary education in the United States).

-obviously competes

-you can prep out "your impacts are lies" and "Constitution must be followed" really well

-federalism good

-<insert graph that federal funding has had no effect on education scores>

-<insert statistic that federal regulations cost more to comply to than states receive in federal funding>

-my dad would vote for it 9/10 times

• Upvote 2