B3njaminX

Black Feminism

Just for fun, I am debating with someone new, as my regular partner has plans. I am a white male, and so is he, and just for fun, our coach thought we should run black feminism, so could I get some helpful advice on how to form a plan, and how to run it? Thanks in advance!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If it's "just for fun", that's not a good idea. Debate is a game, but don't blatantly commodify certain groups of people just for the heck of it. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

ya i agree with all the above posters, either a) it will go VERY bad for you or b )  even if it doesn't, it's still really bad to just commodify certain groups for "fun".

Like you should only run those arguments if you identify with one of those groups (or your partner) or at the VERY LEAST actually deeply care about the issues/have some connection to it. 

edit: something i typed created an emoji and i didn't like it so I had to revise

Edited by AlisonPotter
  • Upvote 1

i think you need a new coach...if you want to read something just for fun, maybe psychoanalysis would be good it is pretty interesting but in general don't read identity Ks or Ks that especially have to do with suffering that you would never understand especially just for fun because its really commodifying and just inappropriate

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Like you should only run those arguments if you identify with one of those groups (or your partner) or at the VERY LEAST actually deeply care about the issues/have some connection to it. 

I think the latter part of this post is the most important part about this entire thread. The problem isn't necessarily that you're running Black Fem and you're not Female, it's that you're only running it "just for fun", although some teams and authors (Nopper, Evans) will argue that you shouldn't be running it either way. A few white males have run these types of arguments to great success (Tim Byram is one prominent one that comes to mind). However, most of them including Tim had a partner who was a black female and you do not. But if this is something you truly care deeply about and you have a coherent reason/warrant to why you should be running these things (interrogating privilege key, etc.), you should be able to win a fair amount of debates against the 50 thousand Commodification K's teams will throw at you. 

• Upvote 3

Just for fun, I am debating with someone new, as my regular partner has plans. I am a white male, and so is he, and just for fun, our coach thought we should run black feminism, so could I get some helpful advice on how to form a plan, and how to run it? Thanks in advance!

waitttttt a minute... i think baudrillard talks about this.....

Edit: replaced “talked” with “talks” :P

Edited by GracchusBabeuf
  • Upvote 4

I disagree with all of these people, except when they voice concerns about how the judge will react. Switch side debate might be unpopular at the moment, but it's still good.

How can we expect anybody to know whether the ideas of Black Feminism are any good without trying them out and seeing how they hold up to scrutiny? It's not "commodification" to quote authors without believing in them, that's an on face laughable assertion. The suffering of black women is not automatically unintelligible to white men; suggesting otherwise only encourages white men to respond to claims of suffering with inaction and indifference. I really dislike how in-vogue the worst aspects of identity politics have become in debate since I've left the activity. It makes me wonder if I were wrong when I used to try to convince conservative judges that Kritiks and nontraditional affirmatives would ultimately benefit the activity. Every stereotypical slippery slope claim they advanced has seemingly come true.

Edited by Chaos
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I disagree with all of these people, except when they voice concerns about how the judge will react. Switch side debate might be unpopular at the moment, but it's still good.

How can we expect anybody to know whether the ideas of Black Feminism are any good without trying them out and seeing how they hold up to scrutiny? It's not "commodification" to quote authors without believing in them, that's an on face laughable assertion. The suffering of black women is not automatically unintelligible to white men; suggesting otherwise only encourages white men to respond to claims of suffering with inaction and indifference. I really dislike how in-vogue the worst aspects of identity politics have become in debate since I've left the activity. It makes me wonder if I were wrong when I used to try to convince conservative judges that Kritiks and nontraditional affirmatives would ultimately benefit the activity. Every stereotypical slippery slope claim they advanced has seemingly come true.

When this thread was first posted, I was conflicted about whether or not to reply. I think I agree with you that there should be a way for everyone to test the truth of every argument. Where I disagree is that this person wants to run it "just for fun" as opposed to "seeing how it holds up to scrutiny."

Seeing how an idea holds up to scrutiny is fun, and being playful with ideas is better for creativity and problem solving than acting stoic.

The suffering of black women is not automatically unintelligible to white men; suggesting otherwise only encourages white men to respond to claims of suffering with inaction and indifference. I really dislike how in-vogue the worst aspects of identity politics have become in debate since I've left the activity. 

Can you explain what you mean here?

• Upvote 1