Just wondering about the thoughts on these after Grapevine and based off of last year:

1. Top 10 Texas teams in order?

2. Best Texas senior team?

3. Best Texas junior team?

4. Best Texas sophomore team?

I can't speak for complete Top 10 rankings but I can hands down say that Harris Wilson from St Marks is the best debater in Texas right now.

• Upvote 4

I can't speak for complete Top 10 rankings but I can hands down say that Harris Wilson from St Marks is the best debater in Texas right now.

Are there any videos of them debating?

Are there any videos of them debating?

I don't believe so, this is based on statistics and the few times I've seen him in elims. Harris Wilson is a single person, but he debates with multiple juniors (previously sophmores last year) throughout the year Samir Ratakonda (sp?), Max Wang, Wheeler Sears, and David Vellajo (sp?). He beat Peninsula and knocked them out of the Baker race last year at NDCA, won Westminster last year, and got to finals of Grapevine this year (not sure if he won or not), along with a crap ton of other accomplishments. If St Marks went to the TOC or TFA State, I guarantee he would've won both with either of his 4 partners.

I don't believe so, this is based on statistics and the few times I've seen him in elims. Harris Wilson is a single person, but he debates with multiple juniors (previously sophmores last year) throughout the year Samir Ratakonda (sp?), Max Wang, Wheeler Sears, and David Vellajo (sp?). He beat Peninsula and knocked them out of the Baker race last year at NDCA, won Westminster last year, and got to finals of Grapevine this year (not sure if he won or not), along with a crap ton of other accomplishments. If St Marks went to the TOC or TFA State, I guarantee he would've won both with either of his 4 partners.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like someone to be feared.

10. This may be controversial but Hebron KN - for the sole reason they went 5-1 at TFA state

oh yuuuuhhhh the hebron kids are awesome. went to camp with some of them. Shoutout to Rahul Kolla, he's the sophomore to watch this year in CX imo.

I'd probably say Greenhill EG is better than Reagan SV. I've talked to Chris before. He scares the hell out of me like not many debaters do, the kid can go for anything. Other than that this list is dope.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

1. Harris + whoever he debates with

2. Westwood GN

3. Reagan SV

4. LASA AV

5. Greenhill GE

6. Westwood CS

7. Lindale DW

8. Highland Park MK

9. Katy Taylor BK

10. This may be controversial but Hebron KN - for the sole reason they went 5-1 at TFA state

(Note this list is not in order, was just off the top of my head. I could be missing some people. This is just from what i saw at Grapevine and Camp)

*Hebron BN went 5-1 - JP graduated. It's now Sunil and Andrew. 

I also think Jesuit HM should be ahead of Katy Taylor. Jack made it to TFA Octas and Riler broke at TFA state last year.

Shoot I didn't see didn't see Westwood, my bad.

Edited by elmeryang00
  • Upvote 1

take this with a grain of salt because I'm not a texas debater, but was eliminated early at grapevine and got to watch lots of outrounds. the top 5 texas teams imo are:

1. st marks - harris wilson's going for t-usfg + his 1ar in finals were quite the sight. I don't need rehash how awesome harris is, other than noting that his 1ar in finals was almost twice as fast as his 2nc in semis?? also, wheeler was great! his 2ar in finals was especially on-point.

2. greenhill ge - i didn't get to watch their rounds at grapevine this year, but i've heard they've improved even more

3. westwood gn - their 2ar against fwk when I hit them was pretty sick. also, ritik's stand-up 1ar was almost as good as henry's

4. westwood cs - while I thought gn was better, they almost beat st marks in semis.

5. lasa av

oh yuuuuhhhh the hebron kids are awesome. went to camp with some of them. Shoutout to Rahul Kolla, he's the sophomore to watch this year in CX imo.

I'd probably say Greenhill EG is better than Reagan SV. I've talked to Chris before. He scares the hell out of me like not many debaters do, the kid can go for anything. Other than that this list is dope.

who r u (went to utnif) i dont remember a patrick lol

He's Patrick Fox, he went to UTNIF for LD and made it to semi's in the showdown tournament.

it was probably a stupid idea to ask him who he was even when i knew his name was patrick fox

not sure about reagan. They didn't seem to do too well(judging from tabroom). 

Reagan SS was very good last year and Haaris was part of the team that made 2 straight visits to TFA semis and went to the TOC last year. Not sure what happened at Grapevine, but Lindale didn't do well at Grapevine last year, and then they rocketed to wins at UH and UT and became a consensus top 5 Texas team so things happen as the season progresses.

Kinkaid HK is pretty good, they went to 7 week cal and were just shy of breaking at grapevine (actually the seed right behind Lindale) but the teams they lost to in prelims both made it to the bid round and one of those teams got the bid.

take this with a grain of salt because I'm not a texas debater, but was eliminated early at grapevine and got to watch lots of outrounds. the top 5 texas teams imo are:

1. st marks - harris wilson's going for t-usfg + his 1ar in finals were quite the sight. I don't need rehash how awesome harris is, other than noting that his 1ar in finals was almost twice as fast as his 2nc in semis?? also, wheeler was great! his 2ar in finals was especially on-point.

wow thanks yall :') 

• Upvote 3

Come debate for UT, mason marriot-voss will need a 2N that likes policy next year.

Oof. Does Mason not have that rn?

Also are you going to Georgia or UMKC Benny?

Who's Rahul Kolla? I talk to some of the Hebron debaters on a weekly basis (we go to a lot of the same tournaments) and I've never heard or seen of a Rahul. Did you mean Sunil Krish (The names are wildly different I know but it does explain the K)?