whackpoesis

NO TOPIC: WhackPoesis (A) vs NativeWarlock (N)

thought this would make for a fun aff, even though it existed on oceans

only rule of this round is that there's no pre-assigned topic

Edited by whackpoesis

Ah this is actually what I was expecting lmao

What's the impact?

The Scullio evidence seems to say that we shouldn't focus so much on how the ban actually gets lifted and we should ask questions later- how does that ensure the Makah can materially access their whaling traditions?

Status quo ethnocentrism like "save a whale, kill an indian" seems to be rooted in a cosmological misunderstanding of the Makah- how does passing a plan resolve that internalized racism?

D'Costa says that allowing the makah to whale is an appropriate way to redress the harms of colonialism- is colonialism over after we pass the plan?

A lot of your discourse and solvency arguments seem to stem from like a cross-cultural encounter; how do you guarantee that people leave the room or website truly respecting the Makah's connection with the ocean?

Let's say you end up defending that a material reform is signed- what guarantees white colonizers honor those laws?

When has decolonization ever been successful via reformism?

Ah this is actually what I was expecting lmao

What's the impact?

Colonialism

The Scullio evidence seems to say that we shouldn't focus so much on how the ban actually gets lifted and we should ask questions later- how does that ensure the Makah can materially access their whaling traditions?

We think that the more pressing issue in this debate is inclusion of Makah cosmology, tradition and viewpoints before a banal debate over legal loopholes

Status quo ethnocentrism like "save a whale, kill an indian" seems to be rooted in a cosmological misunderstanding of the Makah- how does passing a plan resolve that internalized racism?

We don't need to win that everyone accepts the Makah post plan, just that they have the ability access traditional hunting

D'Costa says that allowing the makah to whale is an appropriate way to redress the harms of colonialism- is colonialism over after we pass the plan?

No

A lot of your discourse and solvency arguments seem to stem from like a cross-cultural encounter; how do you guarantee that people leave the room or website truly respecting the Makah's connection with the ocean?

I think I answered that above

Let's say you end up defending that a material reform is signed- what guarantees white colonizers honor those laws?

I get youre trying to do like a treaty language argument, but we think debate is a question of should, not WOULD- the plan is a good idea

When has decolonization ever been successful via reformism?

Keystone, allowing natives to prosecute non-tribal members on reservations, land returns, etc.