CondoK

TOC

I just back from UTNIF and I'm more into debate than ever. I got to debate some pretty competitive teams including some that had acquired bids and I'm eager to debate at the TOC level of competition. I know a camp tournament is a closed environment thats very different than the competitive season so what do i need to do in order to get bids. For reference im transfering schools to Lansing this year (a school in Kansas that has gained some bids before and will travel i would also be willing to pay out of pocket to go to tourneys so travel may not be too big of an issue) I will have a good squad and coaches behind me and the ability to travel I also work independently during almost all of my free time. From people who have debated at this level or gone to the TOC is there a list of things I should prep or know/remember in order to be sucessful? Thanks in advanced!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Same but I don't think I will have that good of a partner for next year. Echoing the sentiments of CondoK, I too would appreciate it if anyone could offer some expertise or help.

Thanks!

• Upvote 2

i only went 2-5 at the toc, so take this with a grain of salt but -

1 - learn how to k, especially a k that doesn't require you to directly engage the case. i personally could only devote about 2 hours weekly to debate because school work and a lack of resources, so my impact-D file is super old and i didn't do ynatopic research. even if you're on top of case frontlines, sometimes a generic K (or a process cp, if you're into that) is the only way to beat a new AFF. by generic k, I mean something like the death K, a reps AIK (eww), or lots of FW debate in the block.

2 - don't be afraid to straight turn in the 2ac! my partner and i are super slow, so cutting specific link turns to common topic DA's helped us have good ev in mesy link turn debates.

3 - don't underhighlight ev (don't overhighlight it either) and cut QUALITY cards. kacie and i lost two rounds at the toc on having garbage ev lol

4 - don't be scared of teams because of their # of bids, it'll make you less confident. finally, don't forget that debate is supposed to be enjoyable! going to the TOC isn't really that important and some of the best teams in the country don't even attend, so don't define your success based on an arbitrary number. your debating will improve substantially if you focus less on bidhunting, loosen up, and have fun!

• Upvote 6

had 4 bids and went 4-3 @ the TOC so not the best but i can still give some advice: 

I echo learning how to read a K that doesn't require too much case engagement (I'm going to disagree with a total lack of case engagement because your K should be such that you can have embedded case defense or turns utilizing the theory of the K) or a process CP that solves affs on the topic. Bigger schools will have more up-to-date and specific ev esp on the case debate as the year progresses, so it might become difficult to keep up on that level. 

You also should try to read a smaller aff that no links a lot of topic DA's or a K aff because you'll be more prepared to defend a smaller subset of literature which evens out ground but is also just generally strategic. 

Also learn creative aspects to your strategies, don't just deploy them in the way that robotic teams are used to answering. For example, my partner and I read an Orientalism K last year on the China topic that took a performative aspect surrounding debate and community building alongside the traditional reading of the K. It's hard to grasp at first, but it's equally hard for your opponents to grasp and you're at an advantage having prepped it beforehand. Being creative can go a long way, ie the arg we're rumored to have beaten Peninsula TW on was "line by line is racist" altho that wasn't necessarily it, but the strategic possibilities for creatively developing and executing args is endless and will help you so much. 

• Upvote 7