ThePostman

Dream college doesnt have policy debate

Hey guys so I've put in a lot of time, effort, and emotions into policy debate and I would love to continue doing it in college, but my ideal college right now, uchicago, only has a parli team. Does anyone know if theres any way for me to be able to compete policy while attending uchicago? 

Uchicago is close to northwestern so maybe ask northwestern if you can debate for them? If not, you can always try the hassle of creating a new policy team at uchicago. I'm pretty sure you're not the only policy debater that goes or will go to that university

• Upvote 3

If U of Chicago truly is your dream school, I don't think you should let policy debate stop you from pursuing it. That being said, you can remain involved with policy debate while at UChicago by actively coaching, judging, working at camps -- in fact, one might argue that involving yourself in these ways will allow you to be in the debate space you have come to love without the stress and commitment. College is going to be much more work than high school - your priorities change, and debate can be a big time commitment. Or you can always do what tommy said above, work to create your own team at UChicago -- I personally know a lot of former policy debaters who have gone and started policy programs at their universities. While it may not be as funded, respected, or large as a "debate school" like Northwestern or UMich, there is arguably something special about creating your own team and working your way to the top.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, I've been thinking about helping start a policy team there, its the kind of thing I would like doing lol.

If that doesn't work I'll look into close schools like Northwestern and see if its even possible to "join" their team.

Thanks guys!

• Upvote 2