NativeWarlock

No plan K aff at nats?

What do yall think the likelihood we get a judge out of the 18 thatd be down for a planless, nontrad aff?

First time at nats and we havent read an aff with a plan in a looong time

Edit- obviously we have a backup- just curious

Edited by NativeWarlock

Tbh you are kinda gambling. You never what kind of judges you are going to get. You have the potential to get judges that will be down, but the majority in the pool will probably leaning against you.

Also, where do you get 18? You should know that NSDA prelims are six rounds of two judges. You have to get 8 ballots out of 12 to break.

Tbh you are kinda gambling. You never what kind of judges you are going to get. You have the potential to get judges that will be down, but the majority in the pool will probably leaning against you.

Also, where do you get 18? You should know that NSDA prelims are six rounds of two judges. You have to get 8 ballots out of 12 to break.

Oh damn my partner told me nine my b. Thanks for info

NSDA Nats is a great experience if you're going with friends or people you enjoy being around, but it isn't a great tournament.

I went to it last year, and read a Metadata Aff in prelims, (had lay and spread versions, which I suggest doing as well) which was surprisingly successful given our lack of experience in policy debates. We got bored, though, and started reverting back to our Faciality aff in outrounds and did alright, but only because the teams we faced while aff were less than good. I only suggest doing that if you find out that the panel has at least two flow judges and your opponents aren't spectacular.

As for the judging pool, it's mixed. One prelim round, we had Eli Brennan and some lay Pennsilvanian judge, and one out round we had three lay judges. It all depends. I would just say do what type of debate you like best when you're in a situation where one judge is your style and the other isn't. 

• Upvote 1