SapphoWilson

How to Write an amazing K

So, I've been working on writing a K for a couple months now for next year. I already have the basic stuff that makes it a runnable K, a good 1NC Shell, basic AT and AT Perms, a handy-dandy framework, and block extensions. This is good, but what can I do to make it great? :) 

know your lit base - successful critique debaters don't rely on cards or blocks, but on knowledge. make sure you're able to explain it cogently and quickly, even to someone who doesn't do debate - that will help refine your explanation skills and consolidate your word economy which is especially helpful if the lit base you're centered in is particularly dense.

• Upvote 2

-Become a nerd about the literature behind it like Kyler said

-Argue it in such a way that generic answers don't apply (saw this on someone's paradigm)

-Do practice debates using it

-Everything must be highlighted concisely

-Understandable taglines are better than long taglines

• Upvote 2

-Become a nerd about the literature behind it like Kyler said

-Argue it in such a way that generic answers don't apply (saw this on someone's paradigm)

-Do practice debates using it

-Everything must be highlighted concisely

-Understandable taglines are better than long taglines

Could you explain how to make generic answers not apply?

Could you explain how to make generic answers not apply?

Well I don't know what your Kritik is, but I'll use capitalism as an example.

Download the 1NC from this vdebate, and look at the Capitalism K.

https://www.cross-x.com/topic/60106-amrfudgefox-vs-nsnarkosaurusrex/

You'll notice that instead of a blanket criticism of capitalism, it's a distinction between "unregulated capitalism" and "regulated capitalism." Now, if a debater doesn't have a good 2AC to that distinction, they're going to paste "capitalism K 2AC" into their speech document and roll with it.

And then the person running that Kritik is going to spend the 2NC mocking the 2AC and how even if some capitalism is good, unregulated capitalism is totally destructive and none of their answers are really appropriate.

• Upvote 1

Well I don't know what your Kritik is, but I'll use capitalism as an example.

Download the 1NC from this vdebate, and look at the Capitalism K.

https://www.cross-x.com/topic/60106-amrfudgefox-vs-nsnarkosaurusrex/

You'll notice that instead of a blanket criticism of capitalism, it's a distinction between "unregulated capitalism" and "regulated capitalism." Now, if a debater doesn't have a good 2AC to that distinction, they're going to paste "capitalism K 2AC" into their speech document and roll with it.

And then the person running that Kritik is going to spend the 2NC mocking the 2AC and how even if some capitalism is good, unregulated capitalism is totally destructive and none of their answers are really appropriate.

Thank you! I'll definitely use both yours and Kyler's advice.

So, I've been working on writing a K for a couple months now for next year. I already have the basic stuff that makes it a runnable K, a good 1NC Shell, basic AT and AT Perms, a handy-dandy framework, and block extensions. This is good, but what can I do to make it great? :)

Sit down with your elderly grandmother and try to explain the link, impact, and alternative of the K. If you can not successfully convey the Kritik to her in a manner that she understands then you do not truly understand the Kritik you are reading. If your grandmother understands the principle of what you are saying then you understand the Kritik enough to contextualize it to layman terms for someone that is not versed in the literature. This does not add evidence to your shell, but it does more for you; it forces you to condense your knowledge of the Kritik into layman terms for someone that is not familiar. This cross applies to future debate rounds because you will be able to explain the nuances of your Kritik in CX when the 1AC is asking bout the link level, alt solvency, or the literature of the K. 

• Upvote 1

I think being ready for:

• Framework
  • Theory
  • Perm (which is pretty easy)
  • Case turns (which is pretty easy)
  • Specificity o/ws
  • Link turns/Specific link turns
  • Defending the alternative (this is usually defense on their part)
  • Impact turns

And having it reasonably written out helps a ton in terms of giving yourself plenty of prep time & making your overall organization much smoother.

This isn't about burrying them in a bunch of cards as much as it is about being smart & word efficient--but explaining it enough.  What this later part means is a function of your judging pool.

• Upvote 1

Oh...it helps to be in conversation with others who have run the K and/or understand the K.

It helps to have answers to the major K killers that people tend to run on your local circuit and/or the national circuit.

• Upvote 1