TheSnowball

China vDebate -- TheSnowball [A] vs. neeve [N]

cross examination- idk how follow ups work-

where does this disease originate?

the WHO 17 evidence isolates a plan mechanism pretty well, but can they enforce these standards on their own?

What bit of evidence links the 5 sub points of action to the USfg specifically?

Where does Erickson 10 ever talk about h7n9 specifically?

And what does scientific collaboration look like?

is this disease present in the United States?

Edited by neeve

cross examination- idk how follow ups work-

where does this disease originate?

As an avian flu, it mostly originates in live poultry markets.

the WHO 17 evidence isolates a plan mechanism pretty well, but can they enforce these standards on their own?

It's not the WHO doing the plan, but China following the WHO's recommendations.

What bit of evidence links the 5 sub points of action to the USfg specifically?

Nothing. The recommendations are just the plan of action for H7N9 that I argue China needs to follow, and Huang and Erikson say that the U.S. can play a responsible role.

Where does Erickson 10 ever talk about h7n9 specifically?

It doesn't claim to - but I think it gets far enough with "differences in other national interests should not prevent the United States and China—or, for that matter, all other nations—from recognizing their growing collective interests in combating emerging threats such as that of pandemic influenza"

And what does scientific collaboration look like?

Scientists from U.S. and Chinese health agencies working together to develop response plans, disease tracking, vaccines that actually work, etc.

more cx:

So WHO made these standards- could they hypothetically try to enforce them?

what motivation exists post AFF to make china transparent?

does the disease exist in the US?

more cx:

So WHO made these standards- could they hypothetically try to enforce them?

I mean, they are recommendations about what China should do, so no.

what motivation exists post AFF to make china transparent?

U.S. political pressure, sharing responsbility with the U.S., having the WHO's backing, U.S. diplomatic and cooperative support, not dying of disease.

does the disease exist in the US?

Not to my knowledge.

Yeah so one of two things happened. Either WHO updated their information since it was published to suggest that China was taking action (I did cut the WHO card the day after it was published) or I took the bit of text you cite as "China should" rather as "China is" - in either case this Aff isn't inherent. I hope that can be accepted as an information update or an honest mistake, respectively.

Yeah so one of two things happened. Either WHO updated their information since it was published to suggest that China was taking action (I did cut the WHO card the day after it was published) or I took the bit of text you cite as "China should" rather as "China is" - in either case this Aff isn't inherent. I hope that can be accepted as an information update or an honest mistake, respectively.

No problem

No problem

I'm happy to say you win here. I think I need to get my hands untied for the Cross-X debate tournament.

I'm happy to say you win here. I think I need to get my hands untied for the Cross-X debate tournament.

Sure thing- thought the Aff was/is really cool though, i hope it's inherent still

So, great debate everyone. I end up voting neg, but it was really close.

I think coming out of the 1AC, the aff is probably ahead on the case debate, but the 1NC does a really good job reading case answers, and I think they pretty adequately answer the thesis of the aff, specifically the disease internal link debate. Even though the aff makes a really good push on this, I end up agreeing with the neg that disease probably doesn't cause extinction.

I also grant a lot of solvency to the counterplan, I think the aff needs to spend more time on that.

I do throw out the T debate, because my paradigm says very explicitly "DO NOT RUN T. YOU WILL REGRET IT.", I have no idea why the neg didn't read my paradigm, but I'm very frustrated by it. So you get no offense on T, and I was tempted to drop you on the outright disrespect I received by your refusal to adhere to my preferences, but I decided to collect myself and evaluate the rest of the debate objectively. Don't count on it next time though.

I also think the aff isn't really making a real effort to engage with the substance of the kritik. You also don't really engage in the nonsubstance of the kritik either, now that I think about it. I'm not getting any framework arguments or perms or really anything that could lead me to prefer case.

At the end of the day, I think the neg is ahead on the key questions of the debate, thus I vote neg. But the aff came very close, and this took a really long time to decide. Congrats to you both on a great round. Any questions, just ask.

• Upvote 2

So, great debate everyone. I end up voting neg, but it was really close.

I think coming out of the 1AC, the aff is probably ahead on the case debate, but the 1NC does a really good job reading case answers, and I think they pretty adequately answer the thesis of the aff, specifically the disease internal link debate. Even though the aff makes a really good push on this, I end up agreeing with the neg that disease probably doesn't cause extinction.

I also grant a lot of solvency to the counterplan, I think the aff needs to spend more time on that.

I do throw out the T debate, because my paradigm says very explicitly "DO NOT RUN T. YOU WILL REGRET IT.", I have no idea why the neg didn't read my paradigm, but I'm very frustrated by it. So you get no offense on T, and I was tempted to drop you on the outright disrespect I received by your refusal to adhere to my preferences, but I decided to collect myself and evaluate the rest of the debate objectively. Don't count on it next time though.

I also think the aff isn't really making a real effort to engage with the substance of the kritik. You also don't really engage in the nonsubstance of the kritik either, now that I think about it. I'm not getting any framework arguments or perms or really anything that could lead me to prefer case.

At the end of the day, I think the neg is ahead on the key questions of the debate, thus I vote neg. But the aff came very close, and this took a really long time to decide. Congrats to you both on a great round. Any questions, just ask.

update: when I wrote this, I thought snowball conceded just for the online debate tournament. I didn't realize there was a legit inherency loss. Now I feel kinda like a dick. So yeah this was me just trying to have fun, not trying to mock snowball. I hope it doesn't get read that way

Edited by Nonegfiat
  • Upvote 2

update: when I wrote this, I thought snowball conceded just for the online debate tournament. I didn't realize there was a legit inherency loss. Now I feel kinda like a dick. So yeah this was me just trying to have fun, not trying to mock snowball. I hope it doesn't get read that way

It's absolutely reading that way...

I love it!

• Upvote 2