Chaos

Great Parfit Essay

Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but the free riding problem doesn't apply to ethics.  It only applies to organizations--or for utilitarian concerns.  People might free ride.....it doesn't matter.  Its fundamentally question begging.

Hopefully I'll return to the article.

The biggest thing I liked from the essay was the "overdetermination" problem. Previously, I would have been very comfortable asserting that only an individual's marginal contribution toward an outcome mattered. The scenario with someone being shot by multiple killers simultaneously challenged that belief. I hadn't heard of that objection before. It means some consideration of general decision procedures is necessary to determine morality, which makes me a bit less consequentialist than I was before. It reminded me of the arguments about superrationality, but from an innovative angle.

Lol you read parfit and say individuals cant aggregate okay i read goodin and say governments can then I read ariansen and uplayer the whole fw debate to meta-ethics and teleology

The biggest thing I liked from the essay was the "overdetermination" problem. Previously, I would have been very comfortable asserting that only an individual's marginal contribution toward an outcome mattered. The scenario with someone being shot by multiple killers simultaneously challenged that belief. I hadn't heard of that objection before. It means some consideration of general decision procedures is necessary to determine morality, which makes me a bit less consequentialist than I was before. It reminded me of the arguments about superrationality, but from an innovative angle.

honestly this whole essay is almost a justification for virtue ethics, because the free rider problem is a pretty common indict of ethical aggregation. I disagree with Nathan about the free riding thing not applying to ethics as much as it doesnt apply to act util on the individual level. this is a pretty key distinction - for instance, with virtue ethics vs util, if individual altruism is good, then obviously that raises the question about "why would i be altruistic if i more get more net utils from just riding on the altruism of others than if I refused that altruism in favor of being altruistic myself?" this could be a great indict of util as not providing motivation to be ethical, which virtue ethics solves. there was this great MacIntyre essay about this that I read last week after my coach sent it to me, I'll post it here when i find it again. just thought this might be an interesting thought, since not many people read VE these days in LD aside from like me and three other people lol.