Datboy

Online Debate Tournament

Also, in the spirit of keeping records anonymous and to keep the excitement in breaks, I will set up a google doc that only judges will have access to .They will submit their decisions and the decisions will be tabulated using an excel sheet. It's all in the spirit of keeping the tournament a surprise. :) So, in a way, it will be closed tab. 

I will be making an invitation and posting it on the website later this week (tomorrow or Wednesday). Then, I will make a sign-up sheet and request that all interested debaters sign up (link will be in the invitational). Additionally, Exodus is sponsoring the tournament and providing the following:

• Provide every participant with a 1$ Off voucher to our shop
  • Provide the top 4 debaters with an Exodus Files pen
  • Provide the top prize of 1 free file off our shop

I just want to publicly thank Exodus for showing an interest in this online debate tournament and I will do the best to organize it and make it run as smoothly as possible. 

• Upvote 2

This is a link to a Google Doc. This link is only for DEBATERS, judges will have a separate google sheet to fill out. Please fill our the columns as the example highlights. Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14T1BB0IzZKkkfzz6UGDVaCZbRZhMwwz57bsQ_Uly7Rk/edit?usp=sharing

It is on view only and I need to request access before being able to change it

Welcome to the Online Debate Tournament

Sponsored by Exodus

You have been invited to participate in the Online Debate Tournament. The Online Debate Tournament will be a six round tournament, breaking to elimination round based on entries. The tournament will begin May 8th. The topic for the tournament is “Resolved:  The United States federal government should substantially increase its economic and/or diplomatic engagement with the People’s Republic of China.”

Rules

1.All participants in the Online Debate Tournament have ONE day to submit their speech document from the last sent speech. A failure to submit a speech document in the allotted time will result in a forfeiture.

2.All participants will follow traditional VDebate structure, where word documents will be submitted.

3.Constructive Speeches will have a 2,750 word limit, and Rebuttals will have a 1,625 word limit.

4.Judges will give RFD’s and speaker points at the conclusion of the round. Unlike a normal debate, speaker points will be assessed based on the quality of the word document and the strategy that was deployed by the debater(s). Similar to a normal round, if any offensive rhetoric is used the judge will likely penalize the debater. The scale will be 0-30.

5.In the event of a tie, breaks to elimination rounds will go based on record and then on speaker points.

6.All rounds after second round will be power matched.

7.All pairings will be immediately announced, and it is the responsibility of the debater to look out for the announcement. If a debater fails to produce a speech document 24 hours after pairings have been announced, they will forfeit their round. This is strictly enforced.

Format

The format will be:

1AC- 2,750 words

1NC- 2,750 words

2AC- 2,750 words

2NC- 2,750 words

1NR- 1,625 words

1AR- 1,625 words

2NR- 1,625 words

2AR- 1,625 words

Awards

Exodus is a sponsor of the tournament. As a partner in hosting this tournament, they will provide the following:

·         Provide every participant with a 1$ Off voucher to their shop

·         Provide the top 4 debaters with an Exodus Files pen

·         Provide the top prize of 1 free file off our shop

In addition to the prizes that Exodus is supplying, the most important prize is being crowned the first Annual Cross-X Online Debate Tournament winner. The winner will receive a gift-card of their choice to a restaurant, online service (Paypal, Amazon), or wherever they want.

Contact Information: Cross-X: Beck9696 (send a personal message).

Have fun!

• Upvote 4

Do you have a schedule for postings, people will be at school till 3 or 4 since its during weekdays

Edit: Nvm I didn't see that we had one day but another question, might be obvious but just wanna make sure, can we enter with partners?

Edited by aprasad202

How will cross-examination work? (i.e. will we have a day from when the other side posts answers, and how long do we have to respond to questions?)

Registration will end Monday, May 1st at Midnight. Postings will be released at 6pm (unless I have a conflict, in which case I will give a heads up). A debater has one full day from the submission of their opponents speech document to ask cross examination questions. Once the 24 hours is up, you will be required to produce a speech (similar to real debate). Anymore questions? I know I am probably forgetting many things. I hope to not disappoint anyone; I want this to be a fun tournament for everyone involved. :)

Also, this is a bit off topic, but does anyone know how to download Word for free? mine expires on may 1st, and I don't think I can participate if I can't make speech docs...