Datboy

Online Debate Tournament

Hey all, 

With the conclusion of the most recent online debate between Nonegfiat and PailAmbrose, I have entertained the idea of hosting a relatively big online debate tournament that is open to all members of this community/website. The cap size for the tournament would likely be 32 if there is enough interest, but the lowest would be 16. If there is enough interest, I will craft the rules/guidelines as well as the format for debates. Perhaps a gift card to a restaurant, store, or favorite place could be the prize to the winner of the tournament. If you are interested, please leave a comment on this post that shows you would participate in the debate. Personally, I think this online debate would be beneficial because 1) the debate season is over for most members on this website (with the exception of NCFL and NSDA), 2) it promotes better debating among all individuals and gives everyone the opportunity to use their super sick baudrillard file that they didn't get to break this year, and 3) it will bring the community together as well as we cheer on the advancing members in the tournament. 

If you have made it this far, thanks for reading. If you have any suggestions or I'm out of line in my thinking feel free to correct me. 

If this is cross x vdebate style, I'm in. Exodus could also potentially provide a file(s) as a reward.

Edited by NickDB8
  • Upvote 1

The twitter debate community is already organizing one! Of course, this doesn't mean you couldn't put one on as well, but if you would like to combine efforts, we still need help organizing and planning! If interested, contact us at twittertoc@gmail.com!

The style of the debates would be similar to the v debate structure on Cross x, so there won't be any live debates (thus eliminating the need for a camera, mic, etc.). Ideally, I would like to exclusively host a tournament on this website. However, there hasn't been much feedback or interest other than three people so far. I'll give this post a couple more days, but if there isn't any interest then I will consider joint cooperation. 

I would join. Although, vdebates famously never finish quickly, so the logistics could be tough

Which is why there will be a rule that allocates a certain period of time to upload a speech doc. Failure to submit a speech in time will result in a forfeiture and the other debater will advance. This will be strictly enforced. 

Edited by beck9696

I think signing up should also commit you to judging rounds so we can increase panel sizes after you're eliminated. Is this going to be a prelim/elim style or just a straight-up bracket?

I think signing up should also commit you to judging rounds so we can increase panel sizes after you're eliminated. Is this going to be a prelim/elim style or just a straight-up bracket?

I think it could depend on how many rounds people want to debate. There are 8 participants so far (assuming beck9696 joins). A round robin would be the most at 7 rounds each, double elimination bracket would be (at most) 6 rounds, single elimination bracket would be 3 rounds (at most), and idk how a prelim/elim would work with just 8 but it would probably be between 3-6

C'mon @ NativeWarlock, Chaos, SnarkosaurousRex, NexXet, njdpro, MassGenocideSolves, EthanDB8, baudrillbabe, AQuackDebater, XanderDB8, lawsonhudson, TheCMMKritik, Coleonialism, Samkash, CalculusBC, NicoHanley, darccyber, ydavid, elmeryang00, HEYEYEY, and anyone else reading this (don't mean to leave anyone out, just compiling from users active here). Join in and make this awesome!

Tell your friends.

Edited by TheSnowball
  • Upvote 1

when is this gonna be?

EDIT: another question: is the topic gonna be china? or education?

Edited by aprasad202

To answer all questions:

1) I won't be participating, rather I will host and fill in judging commitments where needed. 

2) The topic will be China, since everyone has just recently debated on that topic and that has the most accessible evidence at the moment. 

3) If you all want, I can make this a six round prelim tournament and then have outrounds (the size will depend on the entries, but quarters break at the worst.) However, I want to make sure that all this effort will mean active participation and not having members forget about speeches or push it off. 

4) I'm in the process of writing a word document that will highlight the topic (China), rules, format, structure, etc. )

5) The biggest problem will be getting judges. I would ideally like to panel rounds so that there are three judges per prelim and then three-five judges per outround. However, I know that isn't practical so I will first have to strive towards having one judge per round and maybe a panel for high seeded rounds. 

6) If there are any questions or concerns, feel free to ask in the comment section. I'm probably forgetting something major. Again, I think this will be a fun way to end the topic and to show who is the best debater on Cross-x. :P