NickDB8

What Files Do Y'all Want?

48 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of arguments are you looking for?

• Affirmatives
    • Case negs
    • DAs
    • Kritiks
    • CPs
    • Theory / T / FW
    • Politics (DAs)

As y'all may or may not know, a few cross-x members, including myself, as well as other debaters who are not on the site, have started a business called Exodus Files. We produce debate files, and sell them on our website, as well as on a cross-x thread, as advertised in my signature. Essentially, regardless if you plan on buying or not, we're interested in knowing what kind of files everyone is seeking, so we can better cater to our audience. Please keep in mind that we are prepping for next year's topic as well. Feel free to leave some ideas below!

Edited by NickDB8

This is just an idea, but perhaps making a comprehensive impact file that includes impact defense, impact turns, impacts for advantages, etc. While most relatively middle-sized to larger schools have access to such files, I think making an inexpensive impact file for smaller squads would be a great benefit. Again, just a thought.

We will take that into consideration! Thank you for the feedback.

Advantage counterplans would be nice. I would definitely pay for some. Everyone has the openev ones blocked out and i find it tricky to cut new ones

• Upvote 2

I would just say to make a politics DA before every major tournament and make it blocked out well too.

Advantage counterplans would be nice. I would definitely pay for some. Everyone has the openev ones blocked out and i find it tricky to cut new ones

We already offer pretty frequent politics files, although we could totally work on putting them out more consistently. As for advantage CPs, that would not be a bad idea. We will take both of these ideas into consideration. :)

• Upvote 2

Impact turns, impact defense, and advantage counterplans are probably the highest priority because they're ultra-generics and constitute a full neg strat on their own. Turning one advantage and counterplanning out of the others was my bread and butter against less popular policy affs when I was competing, and holds up really well.

• Upvote 4

Impact turns, impact defense, and advantage counterplans are probably the highest priority because they're ultra-generics and constitute a full neg strat on their own. Turning one advantage and counterplanning out of the others was my bread and butter against less popular policy affs when I was competing, and holds up really well.

Fair enough. Thank you all for the feedback!

Also, on a completely unrelated note, if we released Exodus stickers, water bottles, and tshirts, would yall be interested in buying?

Also, on a completely unrelated note, if we released Exodus stickers, water bottles, and tshirts, would yall be interested in buying?

I am a consumer whore, so I'd be up for more stickers to put on my laptop.

I am a consumer whore, so I'd be up for more stickers to put on my laptop.

Fantastic, we are definitely considering expanding to physical merch. How much do you think people would be willing to pay for stickers? $2.50 ish?

Edited by NickDB8

Fantastic, we are definitely considering expanding to physical merch. How much do you think people would be willing to pay for stickers? $2.50 ish?

How many stickers would that get you?

How many stickers would that get you?

We're thinking 3, but pricing is hard. We will be hand making and distributing them, so we gotta cover cost of production and shipping Edited by NickDB8

We're thinking 3, but pricing is hard. We will be hand making and distributing them, so we gotta cover cost of production and shipping

I won't proclaim to speak for everyone, but I would be willing to purchase them at that price and quantity.

• Upvote 4

I won't proclaim to speak for everyone, but I would be willing to purchase them at that price and quantity.

Fantastic. Still looking for more feedback, though, if anyone else wants to suggest something.

Also, thanks to like 90% of active cross x users for being our focus group! :)

Fantastic. Still looking for more feedback, though, if anyone else wants to suggest something.

Also, thanks to like 90% of active cross x users for being our focus group! :)

I would determine whether water bottles, stickers, t shirts and other merchandise will be profitable based on your file sales. I haven't visited your website, and I haven't viewed your files or the content, but you can determine if it would be profitable for you to produce merchandise if your sales are high. If people are paying for your product in GREAT demand, then it would be safe to say that they would probably buy some of your merchandise. Just make sure that your overhead is really cheap for stickers (i.e. if you're producing three stickers at the price of three dollars per sale, then I would make sure that you can cut your margins down to thirty cents collectively (ten cents per sticker) so that you can make a decent profit). Then again, I don't know if you want to make a profit or if you are just using the stickers, shirts, and water bottles as free advertising. I wouldn't produce the merchandise if you aren't a big distributor or file producer, though. If only twenty people have collectively bought all your files then obviously there is no demand for merchandise since they probably wouldn't display interest. 

Edited by beck9696

I would determine whether water bottles, stickers, t shirts and other merchandise will be profitable based on your file sales. I haven't visited your website, and I haven't viewed your files or the content, but you can determine if it would be profitable for you to produce merchandise if your sales are high. If people are paying for your product in GREAT demand, then it would be safe to say that they would probably buy some of your merchandise. Just make sure that your overhead is really cheap for stickers (i.e. if you're producing three stickers at the price of three dollars per sale, then I would make sure that you can cut your margins down to thirty cents collectively (ten cents per sticker) so that you can make a decent profit). Then again, I don't know if you want to make a profit or if you are just using the stickers, shirts, and water bottles as free advertising. I wouldn't produce the merchandise if you aren't a big distributor or file producer, though. If only twenty people have collectively bought all your files then obviously there is no demand for merchandise since they probably wouldn't display interest. 

I think we're really looking for a bit of both profit and advertising. The stickers and such would likely be produced by demand, so if they don't sell well, we won't have to make that many.

I think we're really looking for a bit of both profit and advertising. The stickers and such would likely be produced by demand, so if they don't sell well, we won't have to make that many.

Just don't expect to win "cap bad" in the 2nr if you plan on selling merch. ;)

• Upvote 1

Although I've never personally visited your site myself, I'd definitely buy a shirt if it means supporting debate in some way 

Although I've never personally visited your site myself, I'd definitely buy a shirt if it means supporting debate in some way 

Of course! A portion of all of our profit goes towards UDLs and underfunded debate programs.