AQuackDebater

China - AQuackDebater (A) vs. CynicClinic (N)

Yee starting new rounds when you haven't even finished old ones ha. This time I have a plan text. Limit is 1600/1000. Word count for the 1AC is like 1530 or something. I apologize for the semi-messy cut of the cards. Highlighted is what's read.

1AC Biodiversity.docx

Sounds good to me if it's good to Ian. Any paradigms we need to know?

Nothing in particular. I used to tell Missouri debaters that I'd vote on anything but Ks bad, racism good, and timecube, but I doubt that'll be relevant. I'm not a huge fan of high theory Ks, but I'll still evaluate them if explained well. Beyond that, do whatever you like

• Upvote 1

I'd vote on anything but Ks bad, racism good

Damn there goes that Little Rock WW a-strat.

No high theory stuff from me, I don't know anything beyond Derrida and Levinas. 

Edited by AQuackDebater

"They have done the most destructive, entirely insane thing that has ever been done. They've degraded debate. it's offensive. I'm sorry that you judges have had to listen to this, it's people like them that have destroyed the debate community"

-Missouri's reaction to a cap K

Jesus I'm laughing so hard at this

• Upvote 1

Jesus I'm laughing so hard at this

The best part is we lost on a 3-0. One judge fell asleep, one put "I don't know what this has to do with surveillance" as the rfd and nothing else, and the third said she was fine with any argument and then didn't write anything on the ballot

• Upvote 1

The best part is we lost on a 3-0. One judge fell asleep, one put "I don't know what this has to do with surveillance" as the rfd and nothing else, and the third said she was fine with any argument and then didn't write anything on the ballot

jesus was this at a big tournament or a local?

Local. Missouri doesn't really have big tournaments, and we were allowed to leave the state once per year (although this year some friends of mine got an at-large TOC bid in PF, so I think the rules are changing somewhat)

Local. Missouri doesn't really have big tournaments, and we were allowed to leave the state once per year (although this year some friends of mine got an at-large TOC bid in PF, so I think the rules are changing somewhat)

Why can't you guys leave state? 

Why can't you guys leave state?

State eligibility rules. Technically, missouri debaters can go some number of miles (I forget the exactly amount) outside our borders once during the year and once for NSDA nats. Also, technically you can compete once between April and September

• Upvote 1

Hi, I was debating with Paul when this happened lmao. Yeah things of the sort happen all the time. We explicitly asked if the judges were okay with kritiks and they said yes, but wrote on the ballot they were not. The opponents were also a bit ticked because we had won the round against them previously in the tourney with our ban prisons aff in a conservative area, so they were not kind at all haha. I love debating in missouri <3

• Upvote 1

Hi, I was debating with Paul when this happened lmao. Yeah things of the sort happen all the time. We explicitly asked if the judges were okay with kritiks and they said yes, but wrote on the ballot they were not. The opponents were also a bit ticked because we had won the round against them previously in the tourney with our ban prisons aff in a conservative area, so they were not kind at all haha. I love debating in missouri <3

Ah damn I gotcha. 

Btw can I judge? 

EDIT: I have p much the same paradigm as Paul. I'll evaluate anything and everything best I can (although disclosure: I will have to have any psychoanalysis explained well for me to properly evaluate it). 

Edited by AlisonPotter

Btw can I judge? 

EDIT: I have p much the same paradigm as Paul. I'll evaluate anything and everything best I can (although disclosure: I will have to have any psychoanalysis explained well for me to properly evaluate it). 

Dammit here I am planning on kicking the aff and going for Zizek first Paul says I cant impact turn racism now this come on this is no fun

I jest. Judge away.

And Ian that sounds good. my 2NR in our other round should be up later tonight as well.

looks like a MO party in here - I'll judge too if that is okay with everyone involved 

similar paradigm as above - as tab as possible, do weighing, and I'm probably less familiar with K lit so just explain everything well if that's what you like to do 

looks like a MO party in here - I'll judge too if that is okay with everyone involved 

similar paradigm as above - as tab as possible, do weighing, and I'm probably less familiar with K lit so just explain everything well if that's what you like to do 

This is about 2 b lit!!!! Welcome, Nathan :-)

• Upvote 2

Dammit first no impact turning racism, then no psycho, now I cant even kick and go for Bauddy. son of a bitch. 

Oh well guess I'll have to just go for anthro.

Kidding. Sounds good. Gonna be a fun round. 

This is about 2 b lit!!!! Welcome, Nathan :-)

I assume the three of you know each other?

I lied - starting CX now.

• What exactly is your inherent barrier - structural, gap, attitudinal, existential, or some combination of the above?
  • Why is combating illegal wildlife trade specifically key to preserving biodiversity - are there other significant risk factors?
  • What is the time frame on extinction due to biodiversity collapse?
  • What is the status of the plan?
  • What does passing the plan actually do - what does, "cooperation over increased enforcement," look like?
  • Better yet, who is your Agent of Action?
  • What is the Agent of Action vis a vis the Chinese portion of the plan - are they just saying, "Hey, you - stop that," and then shrugging their shoulders, or is there an ongoing effort there from some sort of governmental entity?
  • Are you claiming fiat - if so, what all for?
  • Do you claim any benefits from the act of offering the QPQ, or just from the hypothetical enactment of the plan?
  • If I am already a poacher, why do I care if China, "[bans] all domestic trade in endangered species?"

There will probably be follow-up questions.

Edited by CynicClinic

I lied - starting CX now.

yee. shall we say same as last round, 3 posts per cx?

• What exactly is your inherent barrier - structural, gap, attitudinal, existential, or some combination of the above?

Sure. basically current countermeasures are both grossly inadequate and terribly enforced, I guess I'd call that structural and existential? 

• Why is combating illegal wildlife trade specifically key to preserving biodiversity - are there other significant risk factors?

Business Standard 16 does a really good job of explaining how poaching is pushing species to extinction. Pays.org 16 talks about how now is the brink, animals already have it bad enough from pollution and env destruction, unless we do something about it illegal trade will be the straw that breaks the horse's back. BioD.org also explains how extinction events spillover - even if the species seem unrelated, any disruption in a very delicate ecosystem is enough to break it all down, see the earlier horse analogy.

Look at the above answer, the brink to try an avert a wildlife extinction chain is here and now.

• What is the status of the plan?

Uncondo. I was just kidding about all that kicking out stuff, although people have been afraid this is an anthro aff in disguise before. Although I reserve the right to severance/intrinsic perms, but you can contest those if it comes up.

• What does passing the plan actually do - what does, "cooperation over increased enforcement," look like?

This would include providing assistance to protecting conservation efforts, jointly helping cut off international black markets feeding into/fed by China for it where we can, as well as just other miscellaneous stuff that would help them enforce the ban specified in the QPQ. Just basically ongoing bilateral coop in combatting the illegal wildlife trade in China.

• What is the Agent of Action vis a vis the Chinese portion of the plan -

Like the specific US and Chinese government agency that would be doing the plan?

• are they just saying, "Hey, you - stop that," and then shrugging their shoulders, or is there an ongoing effort there from some sort of governmental entity?

It'd definitely be an ongoing effort - see my answer to your question about what the plan does. It's an ongoing bilateral coop, beginning with a QPQ. I haven't used so many T buzzwords all year.

• Are you claiming fiat - if so, what all for?

Fiat just on the USfg implementing the plan, I guess. The china says yes and solvency ev takes care of the rest, i.e: we fiat the US proposing the QPQ, and then our ev shows the QPQ would work if proposed.

• Do you claim any benefits from the act of offering the QPQ, or just from the hypothetical enactment of the plan?

Bit confused. Like am I saying even if China says no that still garners some good stuff/marginal solvency? ala the Taiwan aff?

• If I am already a poacher, why do I care if China, "[bans] all domestic trade in endangered species?"

Because now there's both stricter punishment and enforcements.

There will probably be follow-up questions.

sounds good

• I lied - starting CX now.

yee. shall we say same as last round, 3 posts per cx?

Works for me.

Sure. basically current countermeasures are both grossly inadequate and terribly enforced, I guess I'd call that structural and existential? 

What are the current countermeasures and why are they failing?

Also, unless I am mistaken, wouldn't that be gap and existential? This is not intended to be a trick question.

Business Standard 16 does a really good job of explaining how poaching is pushing species to extinction. Pays.org 16 talks about how now is the brink, animals already have it bad enough from pollution and env destruction, unless we do something about it illegal trade will be the straw that breaks the horse's back. BioD.org also explains how extinction events spillover - even if the species seem unrelated, any disruption in a very delicate ecosystem is enough to break it all down, see the earlier horse analogy.

So, that answers the first half of the question, but what about other significant risk factors? If, "any disruption in a very delicate ecosystem is enough to break it all down," as you've said, aren't there infinite alt causes?

Look at the above answer, the brink to try an avert a wildlife extinction chain is here and now.

Where is that said in anything you read?

• What is the Agent of Action vis a vis the Chinese portion of the plan -

Like the specific US and Chinese government agency that would be doing the plan?

Yes, please.

Bit confused. Like am I saying even if China says no that still garners some good stuff/marginal solvency? ala the Taiwan aff?

Pretty much, yes.

Because now there's both stricter punishment and enforcements.

How much stricter are we talking, and what sort of enforcement? Like, from what I can tell, the actual plan is kind of vague here, but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt on clarification.

New stuff is in bold.