iheartzizek

what's your favorite piece of k lit?

I'm partial to Orientalism by Edward Said.

No really Ian.

I'm shocked.

I feel so betrayed.

Here I thought you were a straight up Schmitt debater who was reading a Rasch aff on this topic.

I'm really partial to Discipline and Punish by Foucault. His writings on the nature of power are really nuanced, and it's the best explanation of soverign power I've seen. I love Agamben too, but for me it's all about Foucault.

Also anything written by Derrida and Levinas is great.

• Upvote 2

Levinas

... Is a hypocrite imo. When asked about the Israel-Palestine conflict, he refused to follow his own philosophy and protect the Other. His philosophy is cool, I just think he's a dick. Kinda like Zizek.

Edited by NickDB8

buttholes->>Its spelt Bataille

<insert dank më-mé> whaaaaaaaaats the difference?¿?¿

edit: didn't make sense without edit lol

Edited by MassGenocideSolves

... Is a hypocrite imo. When asked about the Israel-Palestine conflict, he refused to follow his own philosophy and protect the Other. His philosophy is cool, I just think he's a dick. Kinda like Zizek.

I mean what philosopher isn't a hypocrite let's be real. Plus like even if he personally was wrong his ideas are still right imo 

Edited by AQuackDebater

I mean what philosopher isn't a hypocrite let's be real. Plus like even if he personally was wrong his ideas are still right imo

whoa whoa whoa comrade be carefule there, that could be offensive

His philosophy is cool, I just think he's a dick. Kinda like Zizek.

Foucault's History of Sexuality is foundational and awe-inspiring

Agamben's Homo Sacer is a better read and was what helped me develop my view of biopolitics

so, homo sacer it is

For me it'd have to be Henry Giroux's On Critical Pedagogy, that book will have you glued for hours. It is especially gonna be useful for the education topic seeing how he refers to critical pedagogy among schools.

I really enjoyed reading Achille Mbembe's Necropolitics. But also I really like Hans and Reardon's The Gender Imperative: Human Security Vs State Community"

No point in choosing K lit since the NSDA officially banned neg fiat /:

Knew this day would come..

is this fr?

Is that an official rule? I'm not doubting you, I'm just curious to see the wording of it.

Hurry up and tell us if you're joking. I need to know if I should be upset because I got trolled or because debate is dead.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

lol no one gets to make rules for policy debate. the closest you can get is interp, violation, and standards. That's what i love about the activity. Debaters can do whatever they want up until someone can convince a judge that it's bad. If the NSDA tries to "ban" neg fiat, i honestly can't imagine anyone taking it seriously. It would be one thing if they tried that with something that's newer and more controversial-- it would still be ridiculous for them to try to police the content of debates --but it would at least be arguable. But here, virtually the entire community accepts neg fiat without question-- even me. And my username is "no neg fiat".

Edited by Nonegfiat
  • Upvote 2

Paul Mann's "Stupid Undergrounds" would be my favorite K- lit.

I may be wrong, but doesn't Mann criticize any underground movement as "useless", "rancid", "viruses" and "nano-shit"?

How does one use this inside of a debate round without just throwing ad homs at the other team? I feel like it just makes more work for you to defend yourself as not being an insensitive human. I could be wrong, but that is what I took away from the thesis of his book. 

Edited by Almondson
  • Upvote 1