PhantomAlterEgo

Education

So, my season is done.  Goodbye China.  I'm going to miss you.  But now I have to start thinking about education.  Yayyyyyy.... *starts crying*

Sorry for the little bit of drama, but that's my honest reaction about next year's topic.  As a debater who only reads Ks on the neg, I'm honestly afraid for next year's policy aff ground.  While I'm sure there will be great, even more valuable ground in the form of addressing big issues like racism and poverty, I feel like there's not much on the flip side, the "big stick" stuff.  I don't know if that's a bad thing, but a part of me feels a little resentful. 

Anyways, for y'all who've started cutting some affs, could you direct me to some literature and give me some ideas for big affs on the topic? 

I'm also looking at expanding my horizons and want to read a K aff.  Hauntology (a la the spectre of the word communism) seems cool, but what else?

biopower biopower biopower biopower biopower biopower biopower biopower biopower biopower biopower biopower 

• Upvote 1

biopower biopower biopower biopower biopower biopower biopower biopower biopower biopower biopower biopower 

in loco parentis

• Upvote 1

Two big case areas are the school-to-prison pipeline and school segregation. Both are pretty broad, but they have strong advantages and seem pretty intuitive. Plus the school-to-prison aff could just be a K aff honestly.

This topic was made for Ks. I'm fairly excited to judge K rounds, but policy rounds seem like they'll be unbearable

• Upvote 1

"policy" ground i've figured out on this topic: 50 states CP, privates CP, spending/federal debt DA, STEM aff (economy advantage, heg advantage, tech advantage), renovate/build schools aff (economy, warming?), increase military school education (heg?), increase vocational schools (tech, econ)

it's pretty thin honestly and I would expect the meta of the topic to be heavily kritikal

when I was in PF, it felt like every year there would be at least one k-12 school-related topic. Single gender classrooms, standardized testing, stuff like that. I guess the PF gods thought that students would enjoy debating about something that they can so easily relate to.

For me though, school is the last thing I want to debate about. I want to debate about the world and philosophy and IR and government and politics and the environment. School is stressful, and I deal with it for most of the day as is. Debate is my escape to a world of scholarship that's actually interesting to me. And it's not that the stuff i learn in school is never interesting-- it's the debating ABOUT school is never interesting. School is already my world. Debate is supposed to give me something different.

that's why i want to run biopower. 1) it's interesting (i love foucault and agamben) and not boring like educational policy and 2) it's a way of saying forget school and forget debating about school-- those things are bad and they re-enforce violent power relations

but of course that's all theoretical because i'm a senior  :P

• Upvote 1

I would recommend on reading everything DeVos related and getting a strong understanding of her stance and agenda moving forward.  There will be A LOT of political DA's I imagine generated on her positions and or cases around her ideas that congress may block etc.

Overall, I think she will be one of the most pivotal pieces in that game of debate next year.

• Upvote 1

Heres a good plan text for you: The United States Federal Government should replace the Secretary of Education. 

I can think of like five advantages from that. 

• Upvote 5

I'm also looking at expanding my horizons and want to read a K aff.  Hauntology (a la the spectre of the word communism) seems cool, but what else?

Back when Payton Woods would regularly visit the site, I made a forum post asking about hauntology affs and how they solved - in relation to the round between Northwestern MV and Oklahoma CL at the 2015 NDT (or maybe it was 2014?) - and we (well, mostly him since he was versed in the literature I'd say) concluded with Oklahoma's argument that the aff doesn't do anything (in simplest terms). Back in the Oceans Topic and a bit for the Surveillance Topic, one of my teams read a Hauntology K, the main problems we had was what the alt entailed and the question of mutual exclusivity (perm solved in most of the cases, but I think that was just because we had weak links). I was told once that the Hauntology Aff read against Oklahoma was designed to fck over the Neg in terms of the Perm because of the nature of the method, which really raises questions about the strategic benefit of reading hauntology on Neg. In any case, I'd suggest you develop a concise explanation of what your alt means/entails; my team added a card that was very Freire-esque to sort of answer that question but teams hit us with an Ableism DA that was too much of a hassle to deal with. Good luck! 

when I was in PF, it felt like every year there would be at least one k-12 school-related topic. Single gender classrooms, standardized testing, stuff like that. I guess the PF gods thought that students would enjoy debating about something that they can so easily relate to.

For me though, school is the last thing I want to debate about. I want to debate about the world and philosophy and IR and government and politics and the environment. School is stressful, and I deal with it for most of the day as is. Debate is my escape to a world of scholarship that's actually interesting to me. And it's not that the stuff i learn in school is never interesting-- it's the debating ABOUT school is never interesting. School is already my world. Debate is supposed to give me something different.

that's why i want to run biopower. 1) it's interesting (i love foucault and agamben) and not boring like educational policy and 2) it's a way of saying forget school and forget debating about school-- those things are bad and they re-enforce violent power relations

but of course that's all theoretical because i'm a senior  :P

I would suggest you look into Semiotic Capitalism/Digital Capitalism/Information Capitalism and the works on Baudrillard concerning his critiques of information in relation to reality (or maybe I have that backwards?) - although you'll probably link back to yourself, the literature is very interesting; and who knows, maybe in your endeavours you'll discover a possible alternative that could potentially resolve questions of "you link back to yourself" :^) 

• Upvote 1

Heres a good plan text for you: The United States Federal Government should replace the Secretary of Education.

I can think of like five advantages from that.

If you want to lose on Plan Flaw.

Edit: Question mark turned into a period.

Edited by MassGenocideSolves
  • Upvote 1