thealtman

Who will win the NDT this year?

The 8 teams still in are the top 8 prelim seeds and are all first round teams

Still equally split, 4 K and 4 policy teams

• Upvote 1

Cal GW walks over Cal MS!! RIP Spurlock and Muppalla :(

damn. That's so sad. I mean it was gonna be sad either way. When your debate career ends in a walkover, that is just brutal. 

Now I'm cheering on berkeley GW. let's hope they make it count!

• Upvote 3

cal MS is done because of the walkover- both are seniors- too bad john spurlock won't have the chance to win the double- TOC and NDT

i almost wonder if this walk was strategic given the competitors left- cal MS seems better positioned against rutgers, wake forest, and UMKC than GW- and cal MS is as well positioned against "policy" teams given their results this year

I love berkeley GW and i want to see them do well, but i cant understand why they would walk them over. I get that GW is the higher seed, but they got relatively lucky prelim draws. Plus one of them is a freshman. I dont see them beating any of the remaining teams. I can see walking them over in a normal situation, but walking them over spurlock in his final debate tournament is just hard for me to swallow

But im a total spurlock hack so my judgment on this is pretty clouded. Tbh I would have felt like this if he ended his career with anything other than an ndt win.

I love berkeley GW and i want to see them do well, but i cant understand why they would walk them over. I get that GW is the higher seed, but they got relatively lucky prelim draws. Plus one of them is a freshman. I dont see them beating any of the remaining teams. I can see walking them over in a normal situation, but walking them over spurlock in his final debate tournament is just hard for me to swallow

But im a total spurlock hack so my judgment on this is pretty clouded. Tbh I would have felt like this if he ended his career with anything other than an ndt win.

GW will drop to KL and the cal coaches will feel the fuck up for years to come. spurlock has every right to remain salty until he dies. the specter of spurlock haunts the NDT.

• Upvote 4

GW will drop to KL and the cal coaches will feel the fuck up for years to come. spurlock has every right to remain salty until he dies. the specter of spurlock haunts the NDT.

Yeah, there's no chance in hell GW is getting past Georgetown KL.

On other note, WAKE AS vs Rutgers NM! If Rutgers wins that round, they can reunite the crowns in finals if they win!

Edited by tommy949

The more i think about it, it really wouldnt be fair to end wimsatt's career on a walkover because ms is suposed to be the 'better team'. They earned 2nd seed at the ndt. I think the coaches were right to respect that

• Upvote 1

The more i think about it, it really wouldnt be fair to end wimsatt's career on a walkover because ms is suposed to be the 'better team'. They earned 2nd seed at the ndt. I think the coaches were right to respect that

It was a very sad case indeed! If both teams were seeded differently, this outcome would have never happened! Oh well!

welp, it's a 7-0 for gtown. looks like you were right. and that decision is gonna be questioned for a long time to come

when two teams from the same school hit in elims, the coaches decide who moves on

Do they have a debate and the coaches judge? Or do they pick one to lose and one to get a bye?

they pick one to lose- either coaches do this or one of the teams decides to step aside

Do they have a debate and the coaches judge? Or do they pick one to lose and one to get a bye?

Cal GW demolished on a 7-0

the round was nowhere close to a demolition- it was quite close actually

Indeed they do! But I think Georgetown will win, they've done very well against K teams this year.

Well they are the second team to be in finals of the NDT and CEDA! Correct me if I'm wrong