thealtman

Who will win the NDT this year?

I would say the final round will probably be Georgetown KL vs Harvard MS, with Harvard winning.

I've got KL for the win, but I think this is pretty close to the truth. I can also see Kansas DR, Berkeley MS, Rutgers MN, and/or Wake AS going deep. Edited by CalculusBC
  • Upvote 1

I have Berkeley MS vs Harvard MS in the finals. Georgetown KL, Wake AS, and Berkeley GW will also run deep, and possible dark horses are Kentucky BT, Emory FL, and Kansas HW. 

• Upvote 1

I predict Berkeley MS will win. I also think Georgetown will drop Harvard in semis

I don't think Berkeley MS will beat Harvard if they hit each other. Harvard has beaten them a bunch

I think Harvard MS will win. Hemanth has a tendency to raise it up a notch when the stakes are highest. I think that Berkeley is more consistent and arguably the better regular season team, but they have a tendency to crack under pressure at the NDT in outrounds (I thought they were clearly a top 4 team last year, but they lost in Octos to a less experienced Kansas team).  

Georgetown KL and Wake AS will be in semis. Kentucky BT, Emory KG, Kansas DR, and Berkeley GW will make deep runs. Wimsatt and Q have been in Quarters before, Viveth should've made it at least to Quarters last year but lost a close round to Georgetown, and Kentucky BT is wildly over-performing (relatively) for a 2 freshmen team.

yes Q was in finals last year and got beat by Harvard HS

the berkeley teams will do well- i don't think they will crack under pressure this year because they all have been through this before except for miles gray

other teams that will do well: georgetown LK, kansas DR, wake AS, emory GK, emory FL, harvard MS, kentucky BT, georgia RS, georgia AR, USC BL, UMKC AT, rutgers NM, minnesota AL, oklahoma WJ, northwestern CE, michigan DM

i think finals will be georgetown LK and berkeley MS- i won't pick a winner because I think that matchup is a tossup and the winner will be based on panel composition

yes Q was in finals last year and got beat by Harvard HS

the berkeley teams will do well- i don't think they will crack under pressure this year because they all have been through this before except for miles gray

other teams that will do well: georgetown LK, kansas DR, wake AS, emory GK, emory FL, harvard MS, kentucky BT, georgia RS, georgia AR, USC BL, UMKC AT, rutgers NM, minnesota AL, oklahoma WJ, northwestern CE, michigan DM

i think finals will be georgetown LK and berkeley MS- i won't pick a winner because I think that matchup is a tossup and the winner will be based on panel composition

You think Georgetown LK will be in finals but Georgetown KL won't be? Could you elaborate?

You think Georgetown LK will be in finals but Georgetown KL won't be? Could you elaborate?

Aren't they the same team? LK is the same as KL?

I think Harvard's gonna take it again this year.  No one's mentioned Wake AS yet though, I think they have a good shot of making it to the finals, along with Georgetown KL and Berkeley MS.  It seems like there's kind of a gap between those four and the rest of the first-round teams if you take results and subjectively how good they've looked in streamed rounds. 

There's definitely teams that could surprise depending on matchups and panel comps - on the policy side Emory and Berkeley GW, and on the K side Rutgers and Kansas DR - especially given the surprise showing that Kansas made in out rounds last year - but my instinct would be that Harvard/Wake/Gtown/MS would be a favorite against the rest of the field.

Aren't they the same team? LK is the same as KL?

KL= Knez and Louvis

LK= Li and Kelley

My guess is that Vman was referring to Knez and Louvis when he said LK

• Upvote 1

yeah i messed up acronyms sorry- I meant louvis-knez

• Upvote 2

I think Harvard MS will win but it'd also be cool to see Kentucky BT take it

Kentucky BT has never even been in a semis round to my knowledge, let alone a finals round. I doubt that would happen, though it would be pretty cool.

• Upvote 1

Kentucky BT has never even been in a semis round to my knowledge, let alone a finals round. I doubt that would happen, though it would be pretty cool.

I just wanna see a freshman team win the NDT tbh

Ian dill and dan bannister are hitting round 3. I hope someone streams that one

I also wanna see georgetown kl vs kansas dr

• Upvote 2

All 3 teams from Kansas are 2-0 -- I have high hopes.

Did you watch the stream of kansas dr vs binghamton r2? It was a good debate

• Upvote 1