tommy949

Who's going to win CEDA this year?

I think the final round will include Rutgers NM and somebody else? Any guesses?

Lolol they droped to

UMKC AT..

In prelims infront of Toya Green. AT is def favorite to win this.

UMKC AT has seven wins atm - They're probably going to win.

They were undefeated last year in prelims and lost in Quarters

• Upvote 1

Lolol they droped to

In prelims infront of Toya Green. AT is def favorite to win this.

Rutgers NM is in the elims, What do you mean?

Rutgers NM is in the elims, What do you mean?

Yeah, you debate 8 rounds before elims, NM dropped to AT.

Edited by turls

I think UCO HS will win CEDA.

Having said that, I had Corey as a Lab Leader at Camp and he knows his arguments better than anyone I've ever seen or met except maybe for Ignacio Evans so it will be hard-pressed for anyone to knock him and Anthony out.

• Upvote 1

Please excuse my ignorance here-- I know very little about the college game

But like why doesnt every school go to CEDA? Reading the entry list I notice the absence of a handful of big schools. Do policy teams tend to shy away from CEDA?

@Nonegfiat From what I've heard the big schools kind of look down on CEDA, like there's less prestige associated with it. Also many of them are going to the NDT which is next weekend, so maybe they're prepping or something.

• Upvote 1

@Nonegfiat From what I've heard the big schools kind of look down on CEDA, like there's less prestige associated with it. Also many of them are going to the NDT which is next weekend, so maybe they're prepping or something.

thanks, that's helpful. I wonder why they don't space out those tournaments more

I think finals will be UCO HS and UMKC AT - theyve both done rly well, and UCO is reallllllllllly good esp w/ FWK (plus one of UCOs only dropped ballots was to UMKC AT, arguably the other best team there)

Edited by brodrillard
  • Upvote 1

@Nonegfiat the college community is very divided. CEDA and NDT were originally separate organizations. CEDA was a response to elitism of debate which is why CEDA is know as "the people's tournament". They have been getting closer together both time wise and location wise to allow more people attended both. A lot of big policy schools do not come to CEDA any more, in my opinion, because they think they are better than those that participate in CEDA. Both tournaments are dying,in four years CEDA is half the size it was.

TL;DR Schools with lots of money think they are too good for "the people's tournament".

• Upvote 2

Both tournaments are dying,in four years CEDA is half the size it was.

That's really sad, especially since I'm so hyped to get into college debate next year. Why do you think they're dying?

Divide in the community, funding issues, creeps. There are new programs popping up but a lot of people don't have time or money to take time to compete.

A lot of the prestige aspect stems from the fact that CEDA does not have a qualification process meaning that you can just sign up and go while the NDT has a extensive Bid system and the District qualification process.

The community has been working really hard to force any violent people out because coaches that have abused power in the past have often been insulated against that. That one really sucks because debate being a safe space has meant weeding out sexual assulaters who often take their whole program with them. I am in favor of this because debate should be a safe space and fuck those creeps.

• Upvote 1

The community has been working really hard to force any violent people out because coaches that have abused power in the past have often been insulated against that. That one really sucks because debate being a safe space has meant weeding out sexual assulaters who often take their whole program with them. I am in favor of this because debate should be a safe space and fuck those creeps.

Yeah i gotta agree. Your moral compass is way off if you think ending some programs is too big a price to pay for weeding out sexual assaulters. I mean debate is important but not more important than people's safety. But yeah that's a really sad situation. I'm glad these people are being weeded out and I hope the community sees growth in the future

Edited by Nonegfiat

Divide in the community

This^, there is self-imposed divide in College debate that is significantly more apparent than in high school.

I think the last team to win CEDA reading a plan was Kansas State MZ in 2011. Teams like Harvard and Northwestern used to compete in CEDA but I think they all dropped off after around 2008 or so (this is an estimate, I'm not quite sure what the exact season was). The main perception of CEDA is that it is filled with K based teams and while there are a couple of teams reading traditional plan based Affs (relatively) such as Kansas, for the most part deep elims at CEDA most debates are K on K.

The NDT is significantly more diverse with teams like Vermont, Liberty, Emporia, Army, Kansas BR, Michigan KM, Rutgers, and Towson making appearances in elims and sometimes even winning it in the case of Emporia, but at the highest levels, but it is predominately dominated by traditional teams such as Georgetown, Michigan, and Northwestern. 

I think that with more and more teams from traditionally traditional schools such as Harvard AM, Michigan KM, Northwestern KL, Kansas BR (I think Kansas DR now) starting to read more diverse arguments, the divide will eventually heal, but for now, there is a pretty huge split between the "Kritik" and the "Policy" side of the college community that manifests itself in tournament pools and the teams competing at the highest levels.

KSU MZ might have been the last one to read a plan, however, I would not be surprised if OU had, I don't remember those debates. There really is not a reason other than the obvious K leaning of the tournament that I can really find why big policy programs do not come to CEDA. I would disagree, though, CEDA is much more diverse with the teams that make it to out rounds because of the nature of the tournament being open entry and the fact they would break to partial tripels.

KSU MZ might have been the last one to read a plan, however, I would not be surprised if OU had, I don't remember those debates. There really is not a reason other than the obvious K leaning of the tournament that I can really find why big policy programs do not come to CEDA. I would disagree, though, CEDA is much more diverse with the teams that make it to out rounds because of the nature of the tournament being open entry and the fact they would break to partial tripels.

While I agree that the nature of the tournament might make it theoretically more diverse in triples, doubles, and octas, once you get to Quarters, Semis, and Finals, the K leaning aspect of the tournament manifests itself with judging panels and thus you see an overwhelming amount of K teams in the deep out rounds of CEDA. 

EDIT: I'm 99% sure that Oklahoma GW read a plan on their Secrecy Aff on the Nuclear Weapons topic, but I'm positive RJ didn't when he was partnered with Chris on the Energy topic.

Edited by elmeryang00

I think that is because not many policy teams come to the tournament. Policy teams do not want to deal with debating k stuff tbh. Take the NOPD for example.

I think that is because not many policy teams come to the tournament. Policy teams do not want to deal with debating k stuff tbh. Take the NOPD for example.

Yeah as a policy debater, the idea of hitting 8 k teams in a row is definitely not ideal. I don't mind debating them, but i would actually like to debate fiated plans and counterplans and disadvantages some of the time.

Whats the NOPD?

If that's the case that many policy teams don't come to CEDA due to it being super K heavy, and many high level K teams (Vermont, Army, Liberty, Rutgers, etc.) come to the NDT, does that not make the NDT more diverse?